Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

KC cyclist killed

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wow. That's right up there where they're building the new Sprint arena. There are trucks up there all day (and sometimes all night). I wonder if it was one of the trucks that turns really sharp and goes up over the curb. They like to do that sometimes. And you can't see anything from the cabs of those things - I've been in them and it sucks.

Just really sad, all the way around
    "The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to venture beyond them into the impossible." ~Arthur C. Clarke

residentgeek.livejournal.com

What I find appalling is the way media tends to report these things. The article indicates that "the cyclist hit the truck". How did he do that? Did he just decide to steer into it? Didn't he see it? Or perhaps he simply couldn't get out of the way when the truck either turned in front of him or squeezed him off the road…
    A while ago, on another forum, there was an article headlined "Man Dies After Falling Off Bike', as reportd by the local media. 'Awful', one would think. 'Did he hit a pothole, fall and hurt his head?' No, dear reader. He was cycling along a roadway, when a driver in a parked car suddenly opened his door, into which the cyclist crashed. He tumbled into the traffic, whereupon he was run over by a heavy truck. Yet he was reported as having "fallen", and it's probable the statistics have recorded it as such, rather than "killed by motorist". It's all about language, isn't it? The cyclist (in language) is the woman of the world.
    A

You're right!

Notice how the reporter says "he hit the truck", yet the eye-witnesses clearly state that the truck turned right and hit the bike. I was also pretty surprised that they showed the bike and the scene. A little insensitive I think.