Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sounds like a nice place. A bit chilly, but nice. I see your point about lack of diversity. There are even places within this country that have little/no diversity of race and sexual preference.

What I find here in the MS Delta is that it is definitely racially diverse, although primarily consists of a 50/50 ratio of caucasian and african-american, but that racism is worse here than any other place I've lived (including MD, SC, and Lousiana). It is not an integrated community, that's for sure. Wierd. As far as a gay community goes - it's not evident. Sad.

fishdr "There are even places within this country that have little/no diversity of race and sexual preference."

OMG, really?

"What I find here in the MS Delta is ...that racism is worse here than any other place I've lived (including MD, SC, and Lousiana). It is not an integrated community, that's for sure."

I duuno, what I hear from folks who lived there, moved here, visit there...by comparison is that racism exists here it's just less out in the open. Something that's said after you leave the room.

Perhaps in the MS Delta it's just more obvious that does not make it any worse, the fact that racism can be subtle here does not make it less so.

"Wierd. As far as a gay community goes - it's not evident. Sad."

We are everywhere Even the MS Delta.

Last October I took a month or so off work (the company pays) and with a group we kinda wandered around the company buildings and ran events to encourage employee charitable donations especially to the Katrina States. I got to know some of my coworkers in other department that I just see but never knew well. Several from the MS Delta.

The affection and passion they have for the place they left was so apparent to me, the hurt they felt for what was home. Is it racist? Yes. Backwards? maybe. Glad to be here? H*** yeah. But it's still home in a way.
    Last edited by Trek420; 06-11-2006 at 08:51 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Don't get me wrong - this is not a totally bad place. The people here are very friendly and will do what they can to help you. As a community - this is one of the nicest group of people I've lived around. People wave as they drive down the road. My dog got out once and we had people we didn't even know listening on the police scanner, looking around, etc. One of them did find him and wouldn't accept the reward we offered. Another thought they spotted him and drove to my house and then drove around town helping to look for him. I mean, hey, the woman that nearly ran me over yesterday stopped to help put my chain back on the bike and is paying for the repairs without my even suggesting it. Other people also stopped to see if I was okay.

Racism is very blatant here. I agree that it is everywhere, just less obvious. I'm really not sure which is worse. At least here I guess you know where you stand in other people's eyes. It's just wierd when you feel like you live in the 1950's. In a town close to here there are 2 of a lot of stores - one in the "nice" part of town and the other in the not-so-nice part of town. People have been known to take down for sale signs in their yards if they know an african american is coming to look at a house. I know this for a fact. It disgusts me. I have absolutely no tolerance for racism and it permeates so much here.

However - people came together for Katrina, as they did all over the country. We had 3000 evacuees in our town (pop 15K) and everyone donated tons of supplies, clothes, water, etc. I ran a volunteer effort and was amazed at the response!

So - I know I've been complaining a lot about MS in the last day or two (I'm a bit PMSsy right now). Sorry about that. Like I said - I'm not myself right now. I don't do well when I have to sit idle.

How's the healing process coming along. And have you sent in a police report and got the insurance ball rolling? You can put it to this woman that that's the most decent and genteel way of handling the costs you encounter -- bureaucratically via the respective insurance companies -- because it protects both parties' interests.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

I can feel EVERY bruise now. I have bruises that I didn't realize I had yesterday. My knees hurt a bit - but from the cuts and bruises, nothing internal. I'm pretty sensitive about the knees - had surgery on both in the past (former serious ballet dancer here). I still feel a bit generally bleh, lurking headache - but sometimes that happens just prior to monthly issues (during PMS which is NOW). If I still feel lousy tomorrow, I'm going to go to the doctor when I get back from Jackson. I promise!

I haven't gotten anything rolling here yet on insurance and police. Pretty much nothing happens here on Sunday. I'm going to deal with the insurance issues when I have the repair bill tomorrow. I have some friends on the police force - I'm going to talk to them and see if they say it's worth reporting. She's well connected, so it may be moot.

I head out at 8am for Jackson. Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

{{{ virtual hugs}}} taking care not to hug bruises. Doubtless you have some adrenalyn withdrawl, I've felt kinda shocky for a while after something like a fall or scare.

Have DH take some pictures of the bruising or maybe you already did that.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Thanks for the hugs!

I had DH take a couple of pics right when I got home from the crash. Good advice!

Shocky - I like that term. That sounds like how I feel.

I'm in this lousy shocky state and of course my daughter insisted upon going outside to practice t-ball. We just bought her a new bat to go with the softball and the glove that a friend handed down to her. She's seems to be quite the hitter - whacked it clear across the lawn a bunch of times. Not bad for 4. She'll play next spring. What an adventure that will be. Chasing butterflies in the outfield - I'm sure!

fishdr "Shocky - I like that term. That sounds like how I feel."

Good for DH, crime scene photographer.

well, not the proper medical term I'm sure but the "fight or flight response" is so primal when that's activated it is draining I feel. There've been a couple of times I felt that, situation turned out ok but I felt drained for days.

getting out with your family, probably the best thing
    Last edited by Trek420; 06-11-2006 at 05:39 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton