Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Choosing a bike, seat, shoes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've put 900 km on my MTB in the past 2 months and have absolutely loved it but I have now decided what I REALLY want is a road bike since I spend MOST of my time on the road with my slicks. As soon as school is out at the end of June, I'm going to start seriously looking for a bike. I have found the information on this site excellent and I have read several threads on fitting bikes etc. I'm definitely going to make sure I find a(n?) LBS that does that well. Does anyone recommend a particular brand of road bike? I am looking in the $1000-1500 (CAN) range and think I'd probably like to buy something a step up from the entry level. I'm willing to pay more if it makes sense to. I am going to keep my MTB so I think I've decided not to go with a hybrid or other "cross" although I considered it for a while. I want to be able to ride faster, do longer road trips in and around the area, and maybe eventually join up with some of the local clubs rides.

I tried a couple of bikes a few weeks ago - a Trek and a Lamond but there seems to be so much out there. Should I be looking for anything specific as far as frame, fork composition, and/or other components?

I also want some clipless pedals, and shoes that I can use on both the MTB and the road bike. I think I'd prefer MTB shoes so I can walk in them. I heard lots of recommendations for the Speedplay Frogs here. Is that the best way to go?

If anyone has any specific recommendations or suggestions, I'd appreciate the advice before I hit the stores.

PS I'm 46, and 5'3" if that has any relevance.

Thanks so much!
    barb

I found this website that compares a variety of bikes within certain price ranges. I found it quite helpful in case anyone is looking for similar information.

http://www.caree.org/bike101.htm

barb

I have fallen in love with this year's Solo bikes by Rocky Mountain (owned by ProCycle). The designs are really beautiful (this year's colours and glazes... wow) and they're somewhat local (based in Vancouver). I got all the components from last year's Solo AL-30 in Ultegra 10-speed with Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and a carbon fork, couldn't be happier. (I have had the parts put on a different frame because I worked for a different brand owned by the same company.) (Disclosure: I used to work for ProCycle, which owns Rocky Mountain and that other brand.)
    Look at these babies: http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2006/solo/index.aspx
    They also do custom bikes now...

Another less known Canadian brand is Opus, and they have a few options in that price range. Similar to Lemond, if you like, but also more "local".

Another Canadian company, Marinoni, might have bikes in your area:
    http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/html/detaillants.html

Of course there's all the regular stuff like the Trek 1000 etc. but others know better about this.

When I'm in Vancouver next week I could photocopy the pages of the Velo Quebec road bikes guide for 2006. It's in French but "Ultegra" and "carbone" are quite easy to understand It's just a table with all the bikes available in Canada with their price and components. If you want this, just send me a private message with your address.

Quote Originally Posted by Grog
    I have fallen in love with this year's Solo bikes by Rocky Mountain (owned by ProCycle). The designs are really beautiful (this year's colours and glazes... wow) and they're somewhat local (based in Vancouver). I got all the components from last year's Solo AL-30 in Ultegra 10-speed with Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and a carbon fork, couldn't be happier. (I have had the parts put on a different frame because I worked for a different brand owned by the same company.) (Disclosure: I used to work for ProCycle, which owns Rocky Mountain and that other brand.)
    Look at these babies: http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2006/solo/index.aspx
    They also do custom bikes now...

Another less known Canadian brand is Opus, and they have a few options in that price range. Similar to Lemond, if you like, but also more "local".

Another Canadian company, Marinoni, might have bikes in your area:
    http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/html/detaillants.html

Of course there's all the regular stuff like the Trek 1000 etc. but others know better about this.

When I'm in Vancouver next week I could photocopy the pages of the Velo Quebec road bikes guide for 2006. It's in French but "Ultegra" and "carbone" are quite easy to understand It's just a table with all the bikes available in Canada with their price and components. If you want this, just send me a private message with your address.
    Thanks Grog (how did you pick that name btw?)

My MTB is a Rocky Mountain so it might be a good chocie for me. I checked out their website and do like the colours Do they have any bikes that are WSD (or however you say that grammatically or are more compact for a short girl like me? (5' 2") I tried a Giant OCR1 the other day and ended up with a 42cm frame(!) - even then, they'd have to change the stem so I don't have to stretch my arms so far to reach. The Rocky Mountain Solo bikes on the website have 48cm as their smallest size but maybe I should go back and compare the actual top tube length etc.

I'm going bike shopping after school on Friday so will check out some of the bikes available here in Kelowna. There are 5 stores and each pone seems to carry different brands.

Hold off on copying the Velo Guide for me for now. I don't bother you unless I really get stuck.

I appreciate the feedback. I am listening to the salepeople at the various stores and trying to weed out the pitch from the true info.

barb

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl
    I found this website that compares a variety of bikes within certain price ranges. I found it quite helpful in case anyone is looking for similar information.http://www.caree.org/bike101.htm
    barb
    I noticed that the pages on the web site referenced above are titled "Road bike prices 2002". If that in fact is referring to the year, I suspect the information here may be a bit dated.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg
    I noticed that the pages on the web site referenced above are titled "Road bike prices 2002". If that in fact is referring to the year, I suspect the information here may be a bit dated.
    Yup, all the bikes appear to be 2002 models, but for me, it's a starting point. I am still learning what brands are even out there. I'd love to find an online chart like that with 2005/2006 models... But for now, I just look at the various options, then go to the website and find the newer versions.

Thanks for pointing it out though,

b

Tried a few more

Went to my 3rd and 4th bike shops today and tried a Kona Lisa RD and an Opus Fidelio. The Kona was slightly more comfortable but I only had a chance to ride them around the parking lot today. The Kona is WSD - can't remember about the Opus.

I also tried a Specialized Sequoia Elite which is a slightly more upright, more comfortable road bike. I was hesitant to try it at first because I figured the salesguy had pegged me for a "mature" new rider when what I really want is to go fast. (DH is hesitant for me to buy anything than a road bike because he figures with my drive I'll be wanting to race eventually - lol, I think he has much higher hopes that I do... Anyway, the Sequoia wasn't like the hybrids I've tried - it was definitely a road bike but somewhat more comfortable. I actually liked it quite a bit - of course the real test will be to ride it uphill and compare it to a road bike.

They also had a Specialized Dolce which was very pretty- I love blue bikes - but way too big for me so I couldn't ride it.

So I am learning that some carbon in the frame is a good thing - carbon front fork, carbon seat post. I can't afford a full carbon frame but the other two are in my price range. Anyone have feelings one way or another? Does it really make a noticeable difference?

Road bikes - things to consider

Hi there-

You are definitely doing all the right homework! And getting out and RIDING bikes, most importantly. I could offer a few suggestions that would take priority for me, personally.
    1- carbon DOES make a difference. If a full carbon frame is out of your price range, consider a bike w/a carbon fork, consider buying a 2nd hand higher level bike, or consider upping your price! It may be a sacrifice now, but you will be loving this bike for many years to come.
    2- at your height, you could do a WSD frame. This is more of an issue for women with smaller hands, shorter torso/leg length. etc. I am 5'6" and find WSD frames don't fit me well. And -- manufacturers will sometimes skimp on the components for similar models when offering a WSD vs. standard. At least that was the case when I was researching this a year ago with TREK.
    3- at 1000-1500 you are probably looking at Shimano 105, maybe some Ultegra. I would go the extra yard to get the Ultegra. You won't regret it!

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jpesa
    Hi there-

You are definitely doing all the right homework! And getting out and RIDING bikes, most importantly. I could offer a few suggestions that would take priority for me, personally.
    1- carbon DOES make a difference. If a full carbon frame is out of your price range, consider a bike w/a carbon fork, consider buying a 2nd hand higher level bike, or consider upping your price! It may be a sacrifice now, but you will be loving this bike for many years to come.
    2- at your height, you could do a WSD frame. This is more of an issue for women with smaller hands, shorter torso/leg length. etc. I am 5'6" and find WSD frames don't fit me well. And -- manufacturers will sometimes skimp on the components for similar models when offering a WSD vs. standard. At least that was the case when I was researching this a year ago with TREK.
    3- at 1000-1500 you are probably looking at Shimano 105, maybe some Ultegra. I would go the extra yard to get the Ultegra. You won't regret it!

I hope this helps. Good luck!
    Thank you so much! I am learning a lots about components etc too. I have noticed that several bikes I have tried had Shimano 105. So Ultegra is the next step up?

As for the carbon, I am trying to focus on the bikes that have carbon seat post and forks. I am willing to up my price a little but it looks like the full carbon frame bikes are at least a $500-750 (Can) increase in price ($2200-2500). Do I really deserve to buy myself a really expensive bike when I've only been riding for 3 months? I don't know, it seems like I should kind of work my way up, you know?

One salesman told me - about full carbon frames - that it is often better to buy a really good bike with really good components within my price range, than to move up to the entry-level full carbon frame and end up with the lower end carbon and lesser components. I just don't know what to believe...

Sadly, I have not seen a single used road bike yet - I am certainly willing to buy a good used road bike to get the upgrade.

One thing about WSD - the last bike shop I went to tried to convince me that if I start with the right sized frame, he can make just about any bike fit me. He felt that although WSD bikes are good for some women, for the most part, they are just hype and that by changing the stems etc, he can do the same thing. He does have WSD bikes there so it wasn't like he was just trying to do a sales job. It's so hard to separate the info from the sales pitch though.

Last point - I've really been having problems reaching the brakes. I dont' think I have particularly small hands and my fingers are fairly long but when I'm in the drops, my fingertips barely get around the brakes. DH says I won't be using the drop brakes all that much and he figures it's something we may be able to adjust but I'm just wondering if that is common. I also feel like it's a stretch to reach the brakes on the hoods. Is that normal or does it just take some getting used to? (Oooh, listen to me talking about "drops" and "hoods" etc. like I knew all this a week ago - I just laugh at myself sometimes...)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate any information I can find on this site. Real women, real bikes... I have one more bike shop in town to try and then I'm going to try the Bike Barn in the town an hour away. Maybe I'll end up having to go to Vancouver to find what I want.

barb
    Last edited by kelownagirl; 06-17-2006 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl
    Thank you so much! I am learning a lots about components etc too.

Sadly, I have not seen a single used road bike yet - I am certainly willing to buy a good used road bike to get the upgrade.

Last point - I've really been having problems reaching the brakes. I dont' think I have particularly small hands and my fingers are fairly long but when I'm in the drops, my fingertips barely get around the brakes. DH says I won't be using the drop brakes all that much and he figures it's something we may be able to adjust but I'm just wondering if that is common. I also feel like it's a stretch to reach the brakes on the hoods. Is that normal or does it just take some getting used to? (Oooh, listen to me talking about "drops" and "hoods" etc. like I knew all this a week ago - I just laugh at myself sometimes...)

barb
    Hey Barb, Check out ebay for used bikes. where do you live?(oops, I see you live in BC) You can look on Craig's list too.

I have the same problem with those drop brakes, but i am in the process of getting fitted to my new Bianchi with campy components, so i hope that problem will become a thing of the past as soon as the parts come in.

what does the DH mean you won't be reaching for them???

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby
    Hey Barb, Check out ebay for used bikes. where do you live?(oops, I see you live in BC) You can look on Craig's list too.

I have the same problem with those drop brakes, but i am in the process of getting fitted to my new Bianchi with campy components, so i hope that problem will become a thing of the past as soon as the parts come in.

what does the DH mean you won't be reaching for them???
    I live in Kelowna, 4 hours east of Vancouver BC. Ebay can sometimes be tough since most of the stuff there is american but it's worth a try. I did check out craig's list but I think I need to have a better idea of what I want first.

What are "campy" components? Is it a brand? Are they smaller or ?

I think Erik just means that I would probably spend way more time with my hands on the hoods than the drops so it might not be as big a concern. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I'm definitely going to talk to the salespeople and ask about it before I buy though.

I was reading on another discussion board that you should be wary of buying a second hand carbon bike. The reason being that you never really know if it has been in a crash. They were concerned that there might be cracks in the frame that are not visible to the naked eye and that could compromise safety.

I have no idea if this is true or not but as we were discussing the option of second hand bikes, I thought I would open it up for debate.

Maybe you should look at the Trek WSD 1500 and 2200. The 1500 is $1200 MSRP, the 2200 is $1900 MSRP. Both have carbon forks and seat posts, the 2200 has carbon seatstays as well. I'm 5'2", and have the 2005 2100, 47", with 650 wheels that they changed to 700 on the 2200, and the 2200 has better components, but they are basically the same, and I _love_ my bike- it's perfect!!! I love the smaller handlebars and whatever they did to the brakes/shifters to make them easy to reach. I don't believe WSD bikes are just hype- for one thing, the geometry is supposed to be different. Sure you could change the cranks/bars/brakes/shifters etc, but that's a lot more expensive than just starting out with a bike that has those things in a smaller size.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci
    Maybe you should look at the Trek WSD 1500 and 2200. The 1500 is $1200 MSRP, the 2200 is $1900 MSRP. Both have carbon forks and seat posts, the 2200 has carbon seatstays as well. I'm 5'2", and have the 2005 2100, 47", with 650 wheels that they changed to 700 on the 2200, and the 2200 has better components, but they are basically the same, and I _love_ my bike- it's perfect!!! I love the smaller handlebars and whatever they did to the brakes/shifters to make them easy to reach. I don't believe WSD bikes are just hype- for one thing, the geometry is supposed to be different. Sure you could change the cranks/bars/brakes/shifters etc, but that's a lot more expensive than just starting out with a bike that has those things in a smaller size.

Nanci

Thanks Nanci, I think I did try the Trek 1500 on my first day. I've been planning to back and look at it again more seriously so I'll try to do that this week. At that point, I hadn't learned about the carbon, and the various components so I need to check it out. Your comments about the WSD bikes make sense to me.

What do you think about the more "upright" comfortable bikes like the Specialized Sequoia? Have you tried them?

barb