Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

how to pick the right shoes my feet are killing me

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm new to running and need to know how to pick the right shoes. I've tried new balance, nike and can't seem to stop my heels from aching

I would recommend going to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes and have them determine how you run. They can then recommend a shoe that will work for you. Do you roll your foot from the inside to the outside, or reverse? I know I roll from the outside to the inside on my foot and Nikes are good for me. I can tell when I try on a shoe now if it is going to work--but that's from trial and error!
    Whoever said last man standing wins never asked a girl to play!

I've been running with Asics Gels for about 9 years, very comfortable shoes.

I find that Saucony brand shoes have a nice shaped heel area. My daughter, who has always had foot problems, loves her Nike Shocks.

I love Brooks, and have run in my Chacos. But really, you do need to go to a serious runner's shoe store (not something like Lady Footlocker, more like Shoes-n-Feet or Super Jock and Jill) where they can look at your old shoes and how you run and the pattern of callouses on your feet to help decide what shoe works best for your biomechanics.

If they're really good, they'll video you running on a treadmill and show you what they're looking at when they choose shoes for your gait pattern.

They may recommend that you use some insoles (like Superfeet). I suggest you give them a try. You might like them! The insoles that come in most shoes are pretty pathetic because the shoe companies know that serious runners will either replace them with their own insoles or with custom orthotics.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Road Runner Sports has a shoe trial deal if you are a Run America member:

Our Guarantee
    Run America Club members 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: With our unrivaled 45-day, Pain-free running shoe guarantee, you have 45-days to try out your new gear and return an item for any reason. We'll refund the full purchase price. No questions asked.

It's worth the cost of membership (plus you get free shipping and 5-10% off everything depending on which level you join) while you are figuring out which shoes you like...

They also have a shoe decision-making tool called Shoe Dog which is pretty neat.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson