Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Running....

Running....

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi SalsaMTB,
    I wanted to address your running comments in a new thread...not buried in my boo hoo...raining thread.

I just started running six months or so ago. We decided to do an adventure race that had a trail running leg, so I had to run. Now let me begin this by saying that I have done a bit of running as part of my training in the past, but never anything serious, and never comfortably. I have a less than perfect right knee, so I was always sore when I ran. That is why I bike...easier on my knee.

So naturally being fit from cross training and mt biking, I promptly started out way too hard, and way too fast. Developed tendonitis and had to back off. Naturally this happened after I signed up for the race, so panic set it.

So I backed way, way off, and started out nice and easy on the trails. Jog a bit, walk a bit. And then added more jogging, and less walking. And then the jogging became running, and slowly over about a three month period I built up to where I could comfortably do 3-4 miles on the trails.

I am not really fast, right now I run about a 9 min mile, but I am doing it. And I did 8 miles on race day, and felt great. And now I can run on the street too.

So my message in all of this is, If I can run....really, almost anybody can. I am 44 years old,and have never been a runner in my life, and now I am. And I really love it. Especially trail running.

Give it a try. Start slowly, walk a bit, jog a bit. I bet you will do just fine.

Ruth

I second the walk a bit jog a bit thing.. And even though I've been running for years, I still stop and walk a bit sometimes. There are days when my body - or mind- just doesn't have it, so I give myself permission to stop and walk a few paces. It sure seems to help, and I still get the miles in. It also helps when I'm not wanting to get out the door. I remind myself that if all else fails i can walk. I usually don't, but giving my mind that "out" seems to be all I need to get out the door.
    BTW- When I first started running back in the early 90's that is how I started. Bursts of jogging in my walks.. And look at me now!
    Oh- and when I started swimming... I could barely make a length of the pool! I remember thinking "I can do a MARATHON but I can't swim the length of the pool!!!"... It's all about using different muscles and such. Don't fret, you will get there. I have confidence
    Denise

I've been eyeing adventure racing for a while now, that's what gave me the itch to try running. I've had moments when I'll think "ok, lets give the running thing a try" and will leave my house and get tired soooo quickly. I don't stay dedicated to it and then I just ride. I really want to try running some though, it just seems like different type of workout that I could use. Maybe I'll give the advice you gave a try, going to trail and jogging/walking. I think offroad is more my style, running on pavement gets boring and is hard on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl
    I am not really fast, right now I run about a 9 min mile, but I am doing it. And I did 8 miles on race day, and felt great. And now I can run on the street too.
    Not fast, but you can run a 9 minute mile? That's fast enough to me, especially for a non-runner with knee unhappiness! I can pace myself through a half marathon at about an 11 minute mile, and 5 miles at about a 10 minute mile, but not any faster just yet (it seems half the problem is just pacing yourself, which I am sure the stop-and-walk technique helps, especially early on!).

Doing some intervals is good for you anyway, whether you're doing it because you can't run the entire way, or doing it because you don't feel like running. In my morning runs, I try to change what I do each day, going between a tempo run, intervals (walk-jog-run), hill repeats (add one more each time), an easier day (focused on HR control and pacing), then a day off, then something more challenging (longer, cross-training, brick workouts, etc), then another day off, repeat. I get bored doing the same thing every day, and when I get bored I don't want to do it anymore, vicious cycle.

Cheers to you and your accomplishment! Good work!

Hey all. Just wanted to chime in and emphasize the run/walk thing. I just started running a couple months ago. I always hated running. I used to swim a lot and bike but running hurt my knees. So lately, I've been really crunched for time with work, school, business travel that I needed something that would be a hard workout in a short amount of time. My roommate runs so I decided to really give it a try. I started out slow, 1 min jog, 1 min walk. I found a plan online called couch to 5K. It's been great! I definitely recommend it.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    I'm still slow and working on adding the miles but I'm actually starting to like it. I've always rushed into doing too much too quickly which made me hate it. Hope that helps! Good luck!

I've never done much running & jogging because I was told that I look funny when I do (have weird toes from wearing smaller shoes than I should have ).

On occasion when I want to get home faster from dropping the kids off, I'll jog for a bit. It is soooo much more tiring than riding that's for sure, and I usually get out of breath & get a stitch pretty quick. I know it would just take some practice.
    After reading your thread it has inspired me to perhaps give it a go, besides you can do it anywhere & you don't need anything to do it. (well shoes help! and maybe some clothes for decency). If I can convince my husband to do it with me I guess it would make some good together time as well.

i'm starting to get use to the run/walk thing. i hurt myself about 3 months ago out running and finially got into town to find out what was wrong. apparently my tibia rotated out of the joint and was causing my pain. i have to tape it when i go out, but i'm now up to running for 2 mins every 4 mins. i will run agian, but i must say the walk/run i get a great workout and love it. makes me concentrate on my form.

Glad to know I'm not alone with being a poor runner! The tips on that website seem really good, I think I'll give it a try. I was talking to my sister who runs 1/2 marathons and she took a break and said she starts back up the same way, walk/jog. I think I'll start trying to put a little more time into it. It's tough to get to a trail all the time and I feel guilty sometimes road riding because I spend so little time with my dog. I can take my dog with me for a jog though and we can both work up our endurance!