Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bike child trailers

To disable ads, please log-in.

We're in the market for a trailer so I can take my 15 mo. old daughter out with me on rides. We want to be able to carry two kids, eventually.

We're leaning towards one of the Burley trailers....any recommendations or things to steer clear of before we make our final decision?

Thanks!

Tara

I have the burley d'lite, but it is over 5 years old. I know the harness system on the newer ones looks more comfy, but I am not sure what else they have changed. Even with two kids (I have twins) I never found it overly hard to pull. I really like having the conversion kit installed, which turns it into a jogging stroller. Being able to hope off my bike and walk somewhere is nice, especially if my daughter falls asleep in the trailer, which she often does.
    Brina

"Truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed; then violently opposed; finally, it’s accepted as being self-evident." Schopenhauer

I had a trailer aeons ago.... It was the greatest thing! I dragged SKnot everywhere in it. It had room for 2 kids, so it carried SKnot and a giant teddy bear (complete with yogurt-tub helmet tied on with string. rule was you can't ride in the trailer without a helmet!)

I'm sure things have changed, but back then the trailer "hitched" to the seat post of my bike. If I were to fall over, the trailer would go over too. Couldn't lie the bike down on the ground or the trailer would flip. Kind of a hassle. I'm guessing someone solved that issue by now.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I had a two-child Burley when my kids were young (they are now 18 and 21). It hitched to the rear dropout, so the bike could fall over and leave the trailer upright, or vice versa. My husband once had 2 50-lb kids in the trailer (it was rated for 100 lb) and took a corner without slowing down. The trailer tipped and he didn't. Kids were well-protected and came out fine. Remember, a bike can lean to balance centripetal acceleration, a two-wheeled trailer cannot.

We have a Burley D'Lite with a stroller kit, one of the best purchases we have made.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    I'm sure things have changed, but back then the trailer "hitched" to the seat post of my bike. If I were to fall over, the trailer would go over too. Couldn't lie the bike down on the ground or the trailer would flip. Kind of a hassle. I'm guessing someone solved that issue by now.
    That problem is definitely fixed. The trainler attaches just in front of the rear hub on the opposite side from the cassette and has a universal joint. If the bike goes down the trailer stays upright.
    Brina

"Truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed; then violently opposed; finally, it’s accepted as being self-evident." Schopenhauer

We have the trailer from Costco, and it's awesome! It carries two kids, has space in the back for a diaper bag or lunch and converts to a stroller. It's easy to tow around, even with my 1 and 3 year olds in it, and they seem to be strapped in tightly and fairly comfortable.

It is also easy for me to fold down flat, convert to stroller, hook up to the bike, take apart and generally just maintain.

I think it's called a kid-a-rooz or something, and it runs about $150.

Tamara
    "It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness."

We have the Instep Quick-n-ride. It runs around $100-$150. It has the universal mount, conversion to stroller, pockets inside to hold juice cups/snacks, collapsable, storage in the back for bags of groceries, diaper bag, bread to feed the ducks, etc. We fit two kids (4 and 2) in it fine - with their helmets on. It's held up fine over the past year. My son loves to get in and hates to get out. Any trailer you pick - I'm sure the kid(s) will love!

The most important thing.......Make sure you get a helmet for your daughter. Finding a helmet to fit a little munchkin can be difficult. None of the toddler helmets at Sports Authority and the like fit my son when he was around 15 mos, so we ended up at the LBS with a Specialized helmet that was fully adjustable. He'll be able to wear it forever! I'm guessing he'll choose something different from the blue helmet with pink flying pigs on it when he get a bit older, though. Yes - flying pigs. I have no idea...

Smile

Thanks, everyone!

Burley trailers do have two advantages over some of the others. First they have terrific resale value. I've know folks who were able to get 70% resale on their Burley. We have a Bike Swap once a year at our store. Customers are able to bring in their product to sale. We have this all set up in a very large tent outside. The first customer products to go are the trailers.

Another plus for Burley is the company itself. They are employee owned, and I have always been able to get replacement parts for customers no matter the age of the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by bikemom
    Another plus for Burley is the company itself. They are employee owned, and I have always been able to get replacement parts for customers no matter the age of the trailer.
    Yes, they are a cooperative. I'm kind of a co-op fanatic, so since their reputation is so good, I say go for the co-op!