Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone tried this saddle yet. Bicycle magazine had a great write up on it. I've been through several saddles now. Major chafing issues going on and I need one that is slender enough where my inner thigs hit the saddles.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    RAGBRAI bound!
    Vertically Challenged in Memphis,TN

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour Saddle

I purchased the Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour because of the article. I've been looking for a new saddle that is narrower and less cushy than my current Bontrager saddle.

Perhaps I should have given it more of a chance but, personally I just didn't like it. My gut and butt told me it just wasn't quite right. I've heard that lots of women like it. My friend tried it as well and liked it for the first 10 miles.

We both sent our saddles back to Performance so we are both back to the drawing board.....

Ooo oo! oph4887 beat me to it! I was *just* about to pose this exact question! I'm on the rebound from my Selle SMP Strike, which had the wide-nose/chafing issue.

-michelle

OK, I just sucked it up and ordered the Glamour Arrowhead (the cutout version of the saddle) from World Cycling Productions. Hopefully will arrive sometime next week. I will keep ya'll posted!

Wink

I've got about 500 miles on the Glamour this spring, on a new bike. I like it for about 40 miles, after that there is not enough padding for the 'sit bones', no matter which shorts I wear. I used to always have problems more towards the front, and it works well for that.
    I can't seem to get it just right either. I had a Koobi Si that I put about 1500 miles on, and it got too soft. I have a Terry Falcon on my other bike, and that's good for about 50 miles, then it bothers me a little all over.
    Maybe I should not ride more than 50 at a time.

SSM Aspide Glamour

I have tried this saddle...I love the wider seating area (it's comfortable when you sit back); however the inner thigh chafing is an issue. I have been using the Terry Damselfly which is narrow enough to avoid the chafing and I am going back to it. I tried the SSM Aspide Glamour because of the "Bicycling" review and because I was going for a lighter saddle. The chafing is sending me back to the Damselfly. I hope this helps

Question

I'm going to buy a new roadbike soon, so again I am faced with the dilemma of 'the saddle'.

Last bike had the SSM Era K but lately I am having to much chaffing problems with that on my inner thighs and my sit bones start to hurt after 50 miles or so.

So I am looking into another saddle, I want to keep it with SSM since the quality of the product is (tmho) great. After looking through the SSM catalogue I am faced with the choice between the Aspide Glamour Race Gel and the Atola Gelaround. The first is much more racing looking then the last one, and I am going to be riding the elite womens races next year. And the second one looks comfortable to the tender parts (so I gather since I have never used a saddle with an opening)

I don't want a too soft saddle but rockhard is neither a good option (that hurts, I know now). I dont have wide sit bones so the saddle doesn't need to be wide (that's why my first option was the era k).

I saw this posting when looking for reviews on the internet and I just wanted to know if you girls (the ones that purchased one of these saddles) have had major problems/preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa View Post
    I'm going to buy a new roadbike soon, so again I am faced with the dilemma of 'the saddle'.

Last bike had the SSM Era K but lately I am having to much chaffing problems with that on my inner thighs and my sit bones start to hurt after 50 miles or so.

So I am looking into another saddle, I want to keep it with SSM since the quality of the product is (tmho) great. After looking through the SSM catalogue I am faced with the choice between the Aspide Glamour Race Gel and the Atola Gelaround. The first is much more racing looking then the last one, and I am going to be riding the elite womens races next year. And the second one looks comfortable to the tender parts (so I gather since I have never used a saddle with an opening)

I don't want a too soft saddle but rockhard is neither a good option (that hurts, I know now). I dont have wide sit bones so the saddle doesn't need to be wide (that's why my first option was the era k).

I saw this posting when looking for reviews on the internet and I just wanted to know if you girls (the ones that purchased one of these saddles) have had major problems/preferences.
    Hi
    I have tried both of these saddles and Im sticking with the Atola it works the best for me. I used the Aspide Glamour Gel for one ride and found it too wide at the back for me otherwise it was a comfy saddle. I have the Aspide posted for sale here if you decide to go that way.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=10328

Good luck with the saddle hunt
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

I have the Atola Gelaround. I think you'll find it looks very "racy" as it is quite narrow and not deep. It's definitely the most sleek saddle I've ever owned. It is a little on the hard side, but once my sitbones adjusted, I find it quite comfy, and it doesn't chafe me in back like my wider Terry Butterfly used to. Its narrow width is obviously only good if you have narrow sitbones. The cutout is very, very comfy. I never sense a bit of pressure or rubbing on my girlybits.

I suggest doing a search in these forums on Atola and Aspide Glamour as these have been discussed before, so you might find a bit more information.

Good luck!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thumbs up

Hey thanks. That's the information I was looking for. I'll start of with atola

I currently ride the Aspide Glamour and it has been very good to me. I don't find the rear too wide even though I have small hips. I rode over 250km this past weekend with one ride covering 100km. No issues whatsover except a little bit of saddle sore which I attribute more to the distance than the saddle!

The saddle is firm but comfortable and I feel like I can generate more power from the saddle, if that makes any sense? The only other saddles I have ridden is a stock Bontrager and a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow. If you like a firm saddle that has "racey" appeal, this is a great saddle. And as an ex-fan of cutouts, I love the narrow nose!!!
    All limits are self imposed - Icarus

Quote Originally Posted by bluerider View Post
    And as an ex-fan of cutouts, I love the narrow nose!!!
    If I may ask, why ex-fan of cutouts.

I think a bit of saddle sore is not that bad, atleast you know you had good contact with the bike

Even though I said I would start with the Atola, I am doubting again. Because of the fact that I never rode a cut-out saddle, neither do I see them being used by women pro teams (look at this pic of saddles used by the buitenpoort-flexpoint team) and I also read this article. Up till now I only used 2 saddles, for years I used the good old Rolls and since the end of 2005 and this year I tried the SSM Era K. The saddle is oke, but I want to try out a more women specific saddle for the new bike I am going to buy. Just to see if I can reach a more comfortable position .

Like I said before I really like the brand SSM and their design, so I want to try their womens saddle first.

Is that team bike photo a women's team? I was surprised how long the saddles look, if so. They look like men's racing saddles to me, but maybe that is what women's pro teams use as well. I guess for a racer having the ultimate lightweight, "cool" saddle is paramount, but for me, comfort is #1.

Good luck!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Is that team bike photo a women's team?
    Yes, the Buitenpoort-Flexpoint women's team (see here, here and here ) a dutch trade team doing the UCI Womens' Road World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa View Post
    If I may ask, why ex-fan of cutouts.

I think a bit of saddle sore is not that bad, atleast you know you had good contact with the bike

Even though I said I would start with the Atola, I am doubting again. Because of the fact that I never rode a cut-out saddle, neither do I see them being used by women pro teams (look at this pic of saddles used by the buitenpoort-flexpoint team) and I also read this article. Up till now I only used 2 saddles, for years I used the good old Rolls and since the end of 2005 and this year I tried the SSM Era K. The saddle is oke, but I want to try out a more women specific saddle for the new bike I am going to buy. Just to see if I can reach a more comfortable position .

Like I said before I really like the brand SSM and their design, so I want to try their womens saddle first.
    The cutouts are designed to relieve pressure but I felt they actually greatly more friction than a full saddle. Plus the Selle Italia was way too padded for my liking. I love the Aspide Glamour. It's fantastic for both racing and long rides. And although it is very nice to look at it, if you have setup the saddle properly it is very comfortable as well.

The saddle sores were from a 4 hour ride so yup good contact with the bike for sure!
    All limits are self imposed - Icarus