Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: supper/dinner

supper/dinner

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, this is my problem, the group I ride with most goes out at 6 pm when the lbs closes. We have alwasy eaten late but when I ride with the group I don't get home til 7:30 - 8pm and hubby hasn't been too happy. I know I have spoiled him for 25 years so things won't change quickly.... I need some ideas for easy suppers. I have made pasta dishes with salads, he can handle warming that up in the microwave but...I can't feed him pasta every night. So I am looking for ideas of things I can maybe make ahead and he only has to reheat so I can ride in peace without worrying that Hubby hasn't eatten. Thanks

gee, what CAN'T he warm up?

Stews, cuts of meat or fish with a veggie and potatoes and rice on the side.
    Just put it on a plate, cover and let him microwave it.

Yup. Them things. And more. My grandma showed me a really simple dish for when I moved into my first little bedsit flat with a single hot plate: rice in a pot (he does know how to boil water, right?), one dish bottom down on top, fish filet on the dish, pat of butter, dash of lemon, maybe some herbs, and a simple veggie such as canned asparagus, 'nother dinner plate on top. When the rice is done, so is the fish with veggie and sauce all on a hot dinner plate -- or actually two, in case you get home in time to share.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Can't he eat leftovers from the night before?

I have a real problem with men who are helpless in the kitchen. Sorry I don't have more sympathy for the chap.

Karen

Or he could do like my dh does. When I'm away he makes something he can never have when I'm home because I can't stand it ... lutefisk with mushy peas, bacon, and potatoes. The lutefisk and peas can, I gather, be heated in a microwave (though I can't swear to it since I'm never in the kitchen that day or for several days following).

As a corollary, when he's away I make things we never have when he's home because he can't stand them ... like liver with onions and lemon juice.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

I'm glad my husband is a good cook!!!
    I'm usually asking for him to save ME leftovers!

Liver just makes me shudder

Soups over rice are always easy to reheat. Cook any variety of roasts and cook some veggies to go with it. Those are easy to reheat. And then there is always the old standby that anyone can master in the kitchen, the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It requires no reheating, is quick, simple, nutritious, delicious, and satisfying.

I guess your hubby didn't take home economics in high school, eh?

It is my fault...spoiled him all these years and then I decide I love to ride my bicycle We very rarely have left overs, but I am working on that. Before we married 25 years ago, he could cook hamburgers and a can of corn! I have actually asked my daughter to come and visit and bring him dinner. You guys have some good ideas though. Thanks

Maybe you could sign up the two of you for a fancy cooking course (less likely to make him defensive than if you sign up just him). Once he learns, he can surprise you with a gourmet dinner when you get home.

Won't debate kitchen equality and stuff. Every relationship's different and what's important is the happiness of both people involved. <-- I learned to say that after a very long talk with my gramma about men.

crock pot meals can be great. Chickens, pork or beef roasts large chunks of nonconfusing meat for him, and you can pop vegetables in and know he's not just eating a slab of protein Same thing with hearty stews, bean soups.. You can make alot of yummie stuff in the crockpot that's easy for him to dish up already preheated. And they'll still be warm and yummie as left overs when you get back.

Give him a lesson in Oven PreHeating 101 and you can premake casseroles and he can master the art of putting them in the oven. enchiladas come to mind to... premaking lasagnas that can just be popped in the oven. I like to make a full batch of lasagna but arrange them into smaller disposable trays and then keep one in the fridge and store the rest in the freezer til needed.. but that goes back to pasta. I do the same thing with enchiladas though. Back to enchiladas I guess. Oops. If he'll pop things in the oven you can just make a smaller portion to freeze for when needed later and not have alot of extra hassle.

If he won't even try that then yeah.. like mimitabby said.. Most things can be nuked. I wouldn't do a yummie cut of steak, and fish in the microwave isn't appetizing to me.. but most things can heat at least okayish in the microwave..

He's got a credit card, right? Takeout night!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulGirl
    fish in the microwave isn't appetizing to me..
    Hmm. OK. In general I find nuked food to be less appetizing than other ways of cooking. But I have found fish to be one of the things that comes out pretty well "nuked". For instance, cod fillets on a bed of veggies with some herbs and lemon slices on top. Or flounder filets rolled up with spreadable cheese. Either one, I put them in a covered glass dish and after a few minutes (just enough time to cook pasta) they're done to the flaky-but-still-juicy stage, whereas in the oven I find they tend to go dry.

After 25 years, maybe it's time he learned to cook a bit?

Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh! But men are perfectly capable of fending for themselves. Let him fix his own dinner once or twice a week. Anyone can benefit by knowing how to take care of themselves! You are his wife, not his mother. Ease into it and let him gradually become accustomed to a bit of cooking. He may find he likes to cook! And you could come home to deliciously prepared meals.

Remember, this is JMHO! Simply because something has worked for me does not mean it's right for everyone.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Bikeless- It sounds like you're exploring advanced microwave cookery though. I'm not sure if I've ever used my microwave to actually -cook- something.<and not caused disaster> only to heat it up. I'm left with once beautiful and awe inspiring salmon steaks reheated to either mushiness or crunchiness. And I somehow magically rubberized the remains of beautiful halibut. Me and microwaves don't mix too well. My friend made amazing rich brownies in the microwave. My attempt to try it left me with burnt chocolate on the microwave's ceiling. If it needs more than a minute 30 in the microwave I'm not touching it because I'll likely start a fire.

Having been married for 25 years to someone whose idea of cooking a meal was to nuke instant rice and a can of beef stew and mix together, I have come to appreciate a man who can cook. Is there a way that your hubby could start some prelims (water for pasta boiling, salad made, etc.) so that the 2 or you can finish the meal prep when you get home... that way he's responsible for some of the meal, and you can eat together?