Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: supper/dinner

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulGirl
    Bikeless- It sounds like you're exploring advanced microwave cookery though. I'm not sure if I've ever used my microwave to actually -cook- something.<and not caused disaster> only to heat it up. I'm left with once beautiful and awe inspiring salmon steaks reheated to either mushiness or crunchiness. And I somehow magically rubberized the remains of beautiful halibut. Me and microwaves don't mix too well. My friend made amazing rich brownies in the microwave. My attempt to try it left me with burnt chocolate on the microwave's ceiling. If it needs more than a minute 30 in the microwave I'm not touching it because I'll likely start a fire.

Yeah, I don't think salmon nukes well, though dh has tried that at times with edible results. Nor halibut, which needs either gentle poaching or just the right number of seconds on a grill. You need a fish that comes out pretty well even if boiled, since that's what nuking does. As for brownies, your friend may have used a microwave-specific packaged mix. We've tried those on occasion (time-squeezed occasions when goodies were nevertheless demanded by kids). They're quite good. But I don't think the old Baker's chocolate melt-in-a-pot-then-bake-40-minutes recipe would nuke well. That one would probably wind up all over the microwave walls.
    Last edited by Duck on Wheels; 06-06-2006 at 07:36 PM.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Two words:

Slow cooker (or crock pot, it's the same thing).

This is my saviour on busy nights. Perapre the food the night before and stick in the fridge. Then before I leave for work in the morning, I just take it out of the fridge, plug it in, set it on low and when you (or your husband) comes home there's a homecooked meal ready to go! Plus, it's the best thing to come home to a house that smells like food, it always makes me think "Is my mom here?"

Emily

Ever since the cost of a hot meal at work went above $2.00 I have been eating leftovers for my lunch. When I cook i always make plenty so that I will have enough for my lunch the next day and maybe the day after.

I assure you that all of the above mentioned foods reheat just fine in the microwave.
    If the husband does not know how to cook, he will probably NOT notice the
    difference between halibut gently poached in white wine and reheated halibut.
    I am a fussy eater, but I find my microwaved lunches are a lot better than
    the frozen lunches you can buy premade AND the crap they serve us at the company cafeteria.

start buying and cooking bigger portions. Then there will be lots of things
    hubby can eat while you're not around.
    This will definitely teach him a little independence (not much) but it's a start.
    good luck.

I must admit I have had the opposite problem. BF is perfectly capable of cooking (and used to do so before we moved in together), but now I've been spoiling him. Only I'm used to having dinner at 5 or 6 and he is rarely home from work before 8. I would get home at 6 and be starving for dinner, but had to wait for at least a couple of hours. But now that I've started cycling, problem is solved. I go for a bike ride after work and then put dinner on and he gets home in time to eat.

Supper is a problem at our house too because we both ride (so no one is staying home to cook the supper) and we have 3 children (who need to eat the supper on a regular basis...kids are funny that way).

I learned a long time ago that it makes my life easier to have 1 side dish ready to go in the fridged...say a pasta salad, a squash casserole, a big green salad...broccoli salad and broccoli slaw are two good ones, or just a lettuce based salad. I make a big batch so we have at least two day's worth of whatever it is. In winter, soup is also great.

Add to that a cold, simple side...fruit for instance. Right now melons are coming in, so cantelope, honey dew, watermelon, whatever...cut up and ready to go.

Now I just need to concentrate on what the main dish is. You haven't said what type of eater you are. If you eat meat, chicken can be your best friend. Roast a family pack of chicken breasts. This is easy because it takes about 10 minutes to prep, pop in oven, and clean up, then there is just the hour and half it takes for the oven to do all the work. Use this time to ride or carve out a little "me time". You can cook most any type of meat the night before you eat it and it will be good for supper the next day. When the chicken is done you have good stuff for the following: obviously roast chicken breast, a chicken wrap, chicken salad (this is 5 minutes of work with a food processor and whatever you like in your chicken salad) and if your husband is agressive, chicken pizza...premade pizza crust or tortilla, jarred spaghetti sauce, cheese, toppings, oven...good stuff! My 12 year old can do pizza. I use bone-in chicken with the skin. I wash, pat dry, rub with olive oil and season with lemon pepper, then cook in the oven on a broiling pan for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees on convection bake or convection roast, your choice. The chicken stays juicy, the skin cooks crispy...sort of like a turkey. Rosemary is also a good seasoning.

My hubby likes anything he can dip a cracker into. If I have chicken salad, pimiento cheese, salsa (I add frozen corn and black eyed peas into ours for extra nutrition) marinated veggies...anything like that keeps him happy. And if push comes to shove, he knows how to make a mater samich.

If you haven't noticed, we are southern and that is the way we eat. These are examples from our kitchen, but the system would work regardless of what pleases your palate. A simple side already made up in the fridge, a side of fruit, and a main course cooked the night before or left cooking while you go ride...and the great thing is that you get a good meal when you come home.

What about the toaster oven?

I was just reminded last night that salmon in the toaster oven is terrific, and EASY! I splash it with teriyaki or soy sauce, a sprinkle of garlic and sometimes some sesame seeds. Put it on a piece of foil. Bake it for about 10 minutes at 400, so it gets nice and browned on the outside, juicy inside. Pretty foolproof, and you can do all the prep before you go, so the salmon is marinating until hubby cooks it. Nuke some cut up broccoli in a bowl for 5 minutes so it's tender and sweet, and dinner is done!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by im4smiley
    It is my fault...spoiled him all these years and then I decide I love to ride my bicycle We very rarely have left overs, but I am working on that. Before we married 25 years ago, he could cook hamburgers and a can of corn! I have actually asked my daughter to come and visit and bring him dinner. You guys have some good ideas though. Thanks
    You decide to have a life and then it's your fault! Puleeze!

The man is grown. If he can't cook, I'm sure he can order take-out. Open a can of soup. Or go hungry. His choice.

I mean, wouldn't it be nice if you came home from a great ride and there was dinner on the table for YOU?

Sorry, but no sympathy here AT ALL. I'm happily married for 16 years and have not run into this issue. We both like to cook.
    Last edited by tulip; 06-07-2006 at 09:25 AM.

In my house, I am the fussy eater. I don't want to eat the all fat, too much salt, who knows what that the BF will have lovingly waiting for me!!!! I set up the crock pot with stuff I like so it's ready when I am....oh yeah and he will eat it or make a sammie!!! I will not spoil, I will not spoil I will not spoil. Why? Becuase I'M THE PRINCESS IN NEED OF SPOILING, not him!

Three letters "B - B - Q"

I know that abbreviation drives some people nuts, but most men I've been around love fire and believe they're a natural at the grill. We have a Weber Wherever (or something like that -- it's the mini gas grill) and just keep some pieces of meat/meat substitutes, bread and baby carrots around and he's got a pretty well rounded meal.

As the non-cook in my family, it has really helped to have a few simple meals that I can deal with, such as rice with other stuff, eggs with other stuff, etc. When my SO has time-shifting hobby or work changes, I have to resort to getting out the pan that I've been allowed to use (talk about gear nuts - I'm not allowed to use the fancy Williams-Sonoma pans, which I find humorous.) I feel pretty good about being able to do this. Of course, cooking a larger quantity ahead of time with plenty of leftovers is a good solution, from my standpoint. We also have decent take-out in town.

Okay Bikeless - I have to ask - what is lutefisk? Sounds unique.

I'm lucky - I'm married to a Cajun. He's an awesome cook! When we know we're going to be busy, sometimes we'll make a casserole of something or other ahead of time. Leaves lots of leftovers, too. Try something like poppyseed chicken, chicken curry, lasagnes of different sorts, shepherd's pie. There's all sorts of choices. I like the crockpot/slow cooker option, too. Things cooked in a crockpot usually smell so yummy! We found a great recipe for Guiness beef stew. It is a beautiful thing!.

OK, that did it. I have to go check what's in the refrigerator.

Quote Originally Posted by fishdr
    Okay Bikeless - I have to ask - what is lutefisk? Sounds unique.
    Tsk tsk. You'll be sorry you asked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

I stopped after "jelly like consistency". I've had an upset stomach for 2 days and that almost did me in. I can see why Bikeless doesn't want to be around when hubby makes that. Ick!

You all have some good ideas...I forgot about my crockpot.. I may have to drag it out. I have been trying to retrain hubby...but you know that is a slow process...he is great for cleaning the house and doing the dishes!! We are meat eaters and I try to serve chicken a couples times a week (I like it). I am not a fish eater though, but hubby is...I think he should learn to cook that...while I am out!!