Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Which Gel or energy drink do you drink??

To disable ads, please log-in.

I read an article where the author explains how important it is that your energy food does not contain a lot of simple carbs. Usually I take GU gel on my rides and a pack of jelly beans. Which gel do you prefer that doesn't taste awful and is ok on stomach???? I never tried Hammer Gel or their other products but i see a lot of cyclists like it. I tried Clif , like them but want to to try something else. Suggestions >???

what does the article say about simple carbs? when you are burning lots of calories, don't you need them?

Thanks
    ps most sports drinks #1 ingredient is some kind of sugar!

I'm very happy with the Clif stuff, so haven't tried anything else lately. I have a friend who loves the "Honey Stingerz". I guess they're mostly honey with some goodies added in. She also likes the vanilla bean GU.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

The article basically explains that simple carbs ( sugars in most fitness products) is not a sufficient source of fueling for atheletes. In a long run an athlete ends up bloated, with stomach cramps, etc ( which happens to me ) because of using simple sugars as a source of energy. Basically, simple carbs are not digested and sufficiently used by our bodies >??!!

I munch on Clif Shot Blocks - Raspberry on my rides.

They fit perfect in my bag on top of my bike and I can reach in and chew on them easily.

The taste is good too... almost similar to those fruit chews you had as a kid.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Gu chocolate. Has never bothered my stomach on a hot day and seems to provide a sustained level of energy when I start feeling tired.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    for rides under 40 miles, I just drink water and I bring a Luna bar in case I get hungry. Over 40, I bring 2 bottles of water and 2 luna bars. No energy drinks, they are mostly sugar.

I like cytomax energy drink. I also eat cliff bars or luna bars on rides. Sometimes I eat a gu, but I find them hard to swallow.

I prefer the GU gels and G20. The chocoloat GU gel doesn't work too well in a flask, but if you mix in a little bit of hot coffee it makes it a good consistency for the flask top. For bars I use Larabars and chewy trailmix bars.

I think GU is one of the best tasting Gels out there (if there is such a thing), at least out of everything I tried so far. Went to a local store today and got couple of Hammer Gels in raspberry flavour, will post how I liked it if anyone interested. Luna bars are the best, i love lemon zest and lime flavours.

Clif block shots -wonderful little cubes that taste great! Gu is too sticky and hard to open. I open the block shots before the ride and put them in a small zip lock bag. It makes it much easier to reach for them. If I am going for a shoter ride - around 30 miles, I drink Propel. It has very small sugar. If I go longer - Gatorade is still the best stuff. Don't worry about sugar if you go fast and long, especially in the summer heat.

Blue Powerade is delicious. Gatorade tastes pretty good and you can get it in the less expensive powder form, but it has lots of sodium. Cytomax has more potassium, but it tastes soapy if you drink it alone. So I mix about 2 parts Gatorade to one part Cytomax. For very long rides, I might add some complete whey protein powder (vanilla flavor). Accelerade has protein already mixed in, but I just don't like the way it tastes and it doesn't seem to dissolve very well.

Gels: chocolate Power Gel. I really dislike the Clif gels -- too sweet. I've heard good things about Gu but have yet to try it.

Strawberry Clif Shot Bloks are awesome. They also have a Black Cherry flavor which is pretty good and has some caffeine in it. Like KSH said, they're easy to eat while riding. The Jelly Belly beans taste good, but they're pure sugar -- they give me a rush and then I crash.

For bars, I'd say Clif Bars, hands down -- chocolate chip, peanut butter, and black cherry almond flavors. I've only tried Luna Bars once (Dulce de Leche flavor) and didn't like them.

Aside from cramping, as you guys mentioned, drinks that only have very simple sugars will make your blood sugar shoot up and then plummet. If you use a sports drink or gel that has different types of carbs (which are metabolized at different rates) effect is more subtle, rising slowly and then tapering off. That's why it's also good to mix different carbs when you're eating before a really long ride -- like wheat, corn, oats, rice, etc.

Ginger Snap Larabars, Cytomax, and chocolate Gu. Must try those Clif block shots, though. They sound good and easy to handle.

My favorites:

Drink:
    Orange cytomax (still looking for the elusive cranberry/grapefruit flavors)

Gels:
    Gu Chocolate, Espresso, and Orange flavors. Second favorite flavors: Berry, Banana

Electrolytes:
    Clif Blocks: Raspberry

Bars:
    Larabars: Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, and Coconut Chocolate Chew
    Luna Bars: Peppermint Stick and S'mores
    Nature Valley: Chewy Trail Mix, Fruit & Nut

Junk:
    Starbucks Frappuccino, Payday Bars, Hostess Apple Pies, Planters Honey Roasted Peanut packs

Quote Originally Posted by kjay
    Must try those Clif block shots, though. They sound good and easy to handle.
    come to Danville on Saturday for a 40 mile ride and I'll give you a bag to try.....

we're meeting at 9:00 am at California Pedaler: 495 Hartz Avenue
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix