Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My First Commute!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I finally did it, I commuted to work. It was a great ride, tiring, that's for sure! There are more hills than I'm used to and I'm also not used to carrying something so heavy on my back. I really need to bring in a lock for a locker so I don't have to haul my stuff every time. That bag gets heavy!!!

The ride itself was invigorating. I got in to work and felt so awake and ready to start the day. It was nice riding instead of driving. There were some pretty tough areas on my route though that I need to find a way around. A couple of the streets I rode sidewalks because I was starting to get tired and the roads were really narrow and hilly (Ok, nothing compared to mountains, but hard for me!). One part, it's a two lane road, ton of traffic and extremely narrow, no sidewalks, a gravel shoulder for part and then no shoulder because it goes over an expressway. Cars were flying by me way too close and fast for my comfort and I got pushed on the gravel shoulder (I ride a cross bike so it was OK) Once I saw the area where there wasn't even a shoulder over the expressway, I just walked my bike. I just didn't feel comfortable there. I really need to find a way around that part, but it's going to be tough because it's really close to my work.

Overall though, it was a good experience. I'll definitely do it again. It's nice to get some exercise in the morning while biking to work. The bike home I think will be a little rougher because there will be even more traffic, but I'll get through it!

Oh, and I got a new bike for commuting. Here is the bike that got me here:

Congratulations! Nice bike, too!

there are spots on my regular rides where I walk, too. Safety is more important to me than speed in those cases.

I love commuting to work... sigh.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Woohoo! Welcome to the club. It's great isn't it? Nice bike too.
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

Hey - congrats, and welcome to the commuting club! Riding to work is a great way to start the day, and a great unwinding tool at the end of the day.

Your bike looks like it can handle a rear rack without a problem. If that's true, I'd recommend switching to using a single rear pannier instead of hauling your stuff on your back. I know it's lopsided, but I find that one rear pannier with just the stuff I need for the day isn't heavy enough to get in my way from a bike handling standpoint. And I know I'd be unhappy with everything on my back.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Beautiful bike! You ladies are making me want to "disappear" from work and go ride my bike! 5:00 can't come soon enough!

KB

Panniers or racks (or a Free Radical, of course!) are significantly less tiring (at least for me) than hauling stuff on your back, and less sweat-inducing.
    I'm so glad I've got a reasonable commute. Okay, now to get back to figuring out how to influence our powers-that-be *not* to stick a bunch of inherently dangerous bike paths along our otherwise nice routes... there are far better wa;ys to make things safer and more fun for cyclists... (fortunately, we're *not* Boston!)
    Last edited by Geonz; 06-06-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Welcome to the club Salsa! Very nice bike btw! and I LOVE the handlebar wrap!! When looking for an alternative routes, sometimes just going 1 or 2 blocks over from the main road works. It's still close to where you want to be but not as busy. Might be worth looking into!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMTB
    I finally did it, I commuted to work. It was a great ride, tiring, that's for sure! There are more hills than I'm used to and I'm also not used to carrying something so heavy on my back. I really need to bring in a lock for a locker so I don't have to haul my stuff every time. That bag gets heavy!!!

Oh, and I got a new bike for commuting. Here is the bike that got me here:

beautiful bike! how long is this commute?

Thanks for all the replies! I have come up with another route to try on my way home, we'll see how it goes. It will avoid that bad area I went through this morning and looks like the road goes under the freeway instead of over (on google earth) so hopefully it will work.

My ride is a bit over 16 miles each way. It's not too bad, but definitely enough for me. I need to start putting more miles on, I'm out of shape! I've been trying to put more miles on lately and now have a biker tan starting

Beautiful bike, Salsa!! Congrats on your first commute. You sound hooked now............. It's a good thing! The more that join the commute club, the better.

I've done the backpack, also, but no more. Too hot, plus it can really throw you off balance. Since my bike isn't built for panniers (and I can't afford a new bike! ), I either stuff what I need into a trunk bag, or pull my BOB trailer. Depends how much I need to haul. Regardless, being on the bike, instead of the car, makes it worthwhile. So glad you are giving it a try.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard