Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Talking No More Parking Lots!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband and I had a WONDERFUL DAY on Monday!!!

We've had our bikes since 2004. We live in a very busy city with aggressive drivers. I have never felt comfortable at all, riding my bike in traffic.

If I did take my bike out, (no more than 8 times in 2 years), I'd only ride around in big empty parking lots... Ben, my husband, didn't mind "city traffic", so he'd go out & about, riding by himself, while I stayed where I felt safe.
    A couple of times I went out with him and I was just too scared. I was miserable. If this was biking...I really didn't like it at all....

On Sunday night, we made plans to go bike riding on Monday, at a bike path not far from our home.

I CAN NOW SAY, WITH ALL HONESTY, "NO MORE RIDING AROUND IN PARKING LOTS FOR ME!!!"

WE HAD SUCH A WONDERFUL TIME TOGETHER!!!! Cycling was awesome and it felt great to be out on a beautiful day with the wind blowing through our hair. (I should say, "the wind blowing through our helmets!)
    This was our very first real ride together. The terrain was fairly flat, which was fine with us. We did 10.5 miles and we were very happy with that.
    There were lots of people there - biking, walking, running, rollerblading.
    We're planning another ride either Tuesday or Wednesday, late afternoon.

I'm really happy that I found TE the other day. There is soooooo much information here about everything!
    Hope everyone has a great week!

Hi Denise,

Congratulations on your ride! Where do you live? One thing you can do to get more comfortable riding on the road is to drive to a lower traffic destination and then ride there. A lot of people in the Boston area do this. It is good to get your confidence on the path, but as you become more confident, the walkers, roller bladers, strollers, and kids will seem annoying and even dangerous. Many times they do not yield to cyclists and even if you are going about 10-12 mph, a crash with a child or runner isn't good. There's plenty of low traffic roads just west of Boston and in central MA. I can give you some hints if you want.

Robyn

Welcome, Denise, and congratulations on your freedom from parking lots! Biking is so delightful. I'm glad you made the leap. Lise
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Welcome to TE and congratulations.

Enjoy your new found freedom.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Hi Robyn, Lise & Trekhawk!

Thanks so much for responding to my post.
    I didn't get much sleep last night, (because of insomnia/fibromyalgia), but, I awoke this morning very happy with a smile on my face.
    It made me feel so good knowing that Ben & I really did go out for a bike ride yesterday and that we both thoroughly enjoyed it!!

We're planning on going out again much later this afternoon for a ride. Perhaps we'll be able to go further today??
    What's the best way to increase mileage?
    Eventually we'd love to be able to go on rides with that Mass Bike, AMC, CRW etc..., has in the future, but first, we've got to work up to where we can ride (at least) 30 miles comfortably, with a few GOOD hills added in there.
    Does that sound about right?

ROBYN: Thank you for offering to give me some hints on riding in low traffic areas out this way. I sent you an e-mail this morning.

Take care everyone & have a wonderful day!!