Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Daily ride for 6/2 and 6/3

To disable ads, please log-in.

I thought I would start a thread for us dirty girls.

Left the trailhead with a friend at 8:40 am. It was looking to be a hot ride. We did a 13 mile loop composed of mostly fireroad interspersed with single track. Saw a deer and one big rattlesnake. Three more gal friends caught up with us on the climb up. We totalled over 1800 ft of elevation gain. I was pushed more than ever, as I am pretty new at this off-road stuff. Did some downhill single track that was scary, but I kept it at a speed I could handle. Didn't crash this time! Once we started back down our motto was, "it's all downhill from here!" which as anyone knows is not true when you're riding XC. Four liters of water and four hours later we were back at the cars. Whipped but accomplished.

ride

I woke up at 5am reluctatntly to do our on road group ride...I didn't really want to go but drove to our meeting place anyways. I noticed that the slower riders weren't there(long weekend here in WA) so i went back home..

Ian & went off to jarrahdale early on in the afternoon to do some laps on the 12hr track...Had a kangaroo cross the path, always nice to see the non poisonous australian wildlife. I haven't come accross any snakes or weird creatures lately...THen again it's probably a bit cold for them....

c

Kangaroos- now that's not something we see every day! Winter for you, summer for me and it is too hot to ride today.

We'll just keep this thread open and see what happens with everyone else.

Ride report

I did a 12 hour mt bike race today....on a team.....it rained...and then it poured...and the it rained again....I will post a report....

my ride

Urrghghghgh...My legs didn't wanna work today...Or was it because my seat decided it wanted to slide down...whatever it was i was getting rather annoyed about having to stop again and again to try and get the quick release tight enough to keep the seat at the spot i wanted....Urgh...

Anywho, I rode 46km on my own...Why you ask...My dear & the regulars went off and did some trail that I would love to try but it's a bit rocky for me plus the guys tell me it's hard for them too...I didn't want to keep these guys waiting for me so i did my own thing. I hated the trail i rode as it's soooooooo booooorrrring...no major rocks, logs etc...just a trail...

My dear's going to take me out on the trail they did today so i can get used to it...Sounds like hard work but i just wanna try it without holding anyone up...

Oh yeah, I saw a kangaroo & i think a joey beind it..Funky..In addition, a very bright bluish bird but can't remember what it's called...

c

first timer

Oooh, I get to post here today! I have a MTB but I mostly ride on the road with slicks. This weekend, dh and I were off for a weekend away and had a chance to do some serious mountain biking. Well, it was pretty serious for me since I am extremely inexperienced and still overly-cautious even on fairly smooth, wide, off-road riding. Since the "easy" trails were very short, we opted for the 17 km "loop" around the town which was a combination of easy, wide trails, and single-track, intermediate trails. Yikes, did I have a tough time!

Turned out I wasn't feeling too great Saturday morning (suffice to say I had made more than a few trips to the bathroom that morning) and I was feeling pretty fatigued and drained before we even started. The short road climb to the trails had me exhausted before we even got started. However, I hate to look like a whiner so I gave it my all anyway, and within a half hour, I was physically feeling a little better. Good thing too, because after the first 7-8 km of fairly easy trails, we hit some hard climbs. I did ok where there weren't too many roots and rocks, but got to the point where I had to push my bike uphill quite often. I'd manage to get a little way up and then I'd hit a tough spot and slow down enough that I'd have to put my foot down and then I couldn't get going again until I reached a more level area. Walk, ride, fall, walk, ride, fall, argh.

Also, I still have regular pedals and they have these little spiky things sticking out to give you a better grip. Well, I soon learned that if you are trying to walk your bike up a hill, they can do a lovely number on your shins. By the time we got back to the hotel 3 hours later, I was completely exhausted, banged up and bloody. I think I have a better understanding of the word "bonk" now. I felt proud of myself for trying so hard but boy do I ever have a looong way to go in the skill department... I have a huge respect for you ladies who do this on a regular basis!

Kelownagirl:

If you keep doing this you will be so excited to find yourself making it over those climbs! There's a technique to be sure. If you find yourself grinding on those pedals drop down to your lowest gears and just spin spin spin. When I'm in those type of areas it's granny gear, and subtle shifting up and down on the back end. The trick also is to keep weight on the seat without losing traction on the front tires. Bend those elbows and get your chest over your bars. I can be riding at less than walking speed, but at least I'm riding, I HATE to push a bike!

Oh, and yes, bruises and scrapes are part of the territory. Right now I have a rash from the thistles I've been riding through.

First time trail riding

Hi there! I just got a Trek 4500 on Saturday for my birthday and took it out Sunday. The trail was marked beginner and family trail, flat land. It was basically flat for most of the ride, with a few areas with pebbles/small rocks. Bike handled weill through them. Some single track areas. Slight inclines but nothing big. It was fun and I didn't fall once. Of course I put my foot down a few times because it got a little wobbly, but all in all a good time. Now if I could talk my kids into going so that I can do it again.

Just figured I join in on the daily ride thread.

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the dark side! Did you get the wsd or the uni-sex? I guess that would mean blue or black & red. Keep it up, you'll have lots of fun!

I have the women's blue. I'm short. Now I have to figure out how to keep the ticks away. It was so much fun and nice not to deal with cars. I do ride a road bike too. My riding is minimal because I am a runner, and trying to find a balance between the two is hard.