Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LRRH News Feed

Talking I Did It!

To disable ads, please log-in.

. . . and will live to tell the tale! I'm still in Logan, just had to get those miles posted on bike journal. Ditto on trekhawk. She left me in the dust. You go girl. I, on the other hand, true to my claim came in almost last. I managed the blistering average of 13.6, which for my 102.63 miles I am quite proud. I had the perfect riding partner, Marty, and we pulled each other through those last, not flat, twenty miles. Marty you ROCK. It was a great day all around. The only things that hurt today are my feet and my rubbed raw girly bits. No one told me about that! More report later, when I get home. Although driving and sitting for a day and a half sounds pretty good. bikerHen

You ladies are so awesome! I am leaving for bay area so will get to look more closely later but wanted to say GREAT JOB!!!

Bikerhen! Great Job Lady! I LOVE your average and you definately would've been pulling me along!

Trac'

ps. everyone have a safe trip home!!!

Fun pictures! It was great meeting up with all of you. Sorry I didn't make it to Casa Yellow after. The thought of 1.5 more hours in the car to drive up and back to SLC thwarted me. Bikerhen, thank you for making the patches and thanks to CycleSutra for the "In Wyoming, they still hang bike thieves" sticker.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Here is my visual souvenir of the day: The aforementioned and pictured bearded Little Red, standing on the left side of the road near the top of THE HILL before Newton-the last rest stop- (he was next to the Airstream) shouting to all the riders "You are almost there! You can do it!". That was pretty funny.

It became a real mental effort the last 15 miles or so, but zooming in the the cute little town of Mendon gave me the oomph to plug onward.

Yellow, you give me more credit than I deserve. I have never ridden a century, but hope to later this year or next. Yesterday's "metric century" turned out to be 69 miles.

It was a very fun ride. The weather was wonderful and the company was great. It was SO social! I told Hubster to picture a scrapbook or other craft-like group, but on bicycles.

I agree, they need soda at the rest stops.

I can hardly wait until next year. Well, parts of my body are glad it is 12 months away
    Last edited by Lifesgreat; 06-04-2006 at 07:44 AM.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

Yea! I found it!

Hooray! I couldn't figure why I saw nothing about LRRH! Because I was looking in the wrong place! Now I'm going to go back and read the pre-ride posts. Thanks for all the pictures and stories. So much fun. Especially since I met Yellow, Mr. Yellow, and Ms. Pika just the week before. Enjoy the stories gals--I'm envious of the patch! L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Way to go, you guys! What a lovely sight to see all those AV jerseys lined up topped with big smiles! Looks like a wonderful day!

(Just noticed that on the first picture of all you guys - where Jobob is making the "V for Victory" sign - there's a cloud behind Jobo's head that looks like a halo! I guess that bodes well for Snap getting her chocolates!)
    Last edited by bikerz; 06-04-2006 at 10:24 AM.
    Keep calm and carry on...

First century done!

LRRH 2006 is in the books and what fun it was! My odometer says 101.2 miles, 6 hrs, 32 mins, and a 15 mph average. Cool! Unfortunately, I did not meet up with Yellow, Veronica and crew until after the ride at Casa Yellow's, but what a great group of ladies! Mr. Yellow can grill up a mean burger!

Here is a couple pics from my ride...The first one, I was stalked by the Big, Bad Wolf at Grandma's House. (Lunch stop)

The second one, he sat for a pic with me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big and bad!.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bad wolf.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	935  
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Sandbagger reporting in.
    I had a fabulous time at LRRH and it was great meeting everyone. A big thank you goes out to Jobob for making my first hundred a whole lot easier.
    Jo is great company and I came away having learnt a few things more about cycling which is always good.

Glad everyone agrees that we did ride 100 miles because my stinky computer says we only rode 155 kms. All the metric girls out there would know that this does not convert to 100 miles you need to see 164.15 on your screen for that. I have had my suspicions about the accuracy of my computer for a while but now I think I can safely say its off a tad. So all sandbagging claims need to be aimed at my computer.

I have included some pictures but I have no idea how to get the names under them so you girls will just have to figure out who is who.

TE ladies that were at the ride - thanks for making the day fun and for all your encouragment.
    TE ladies that I am yet to meet - thanks for all your great advice and support over the last year.

Yipee I made it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0036.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0031.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0043.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	938  
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk
    Glad everyone agrees that we did ride 100 miles because my stinky computer says we only rode 155 kms. All the metric girls out there would know that this does not convert to 100 miles you need to see 164.15 on your screen for that. I have had my suspicions about the accuracy of my computer for a while but now I think I can safely say its off a tad. So all sandbagging claims need to be aimed at my computer.
    Ok Im blaming all those miles on my bike - yikes I hate correcting myself but 100 miles is not 164.15 its more like 160.9. My apologies to all you conversion gurus that just freaked about my terrible conversion skills
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Way to go Leslie! Remember how nervous you were about the 30 mile Lodi ride - and look at you now!!!!
    Keep calm and carry on...

I just assumed that I didn't know how to do conversions!

What does "sandbagger" mean?

Trekhawk, I am so glad to hear your story. I've never done an imperial century, but am planning to do one in the fall. I hope beta, maybe fuji, maybe other Chicago area TE'ers will do it with me. Sort of an LRRH o'the east!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Good Morning ladies

Thanks to everyone for sharing your great pictures. I always manage to forget my camera. It was nice to meet all you lovely ladies, even if only briefly.

I can only echo what the rest of you have already stated. It was a wonderful day. I rode the 68 miles with Lifesgreat and a friend of hers that we picked up after the first rest stop. It was a great course and I was completely impressed by all the effort those Big and Bad volunteers put in. They really pampered us ladies and made sure we had a wonderful day, didn't they??!! The course was breathtaking. Call me crazy but I actually liked that long hill because I knew we would get to go down once we finally made it up!!!

Riding season is definitely in full swing for me. I have my share of funky tan lines under way, thanks to the gorgeous weather. And after Saturday the lines are getting more definitive. Right now I have the sexy sock line, the shorts line, watch line, glove line, the jersey line and thanks to the knee brace I had to wear, a lovely circular sunburn on the knee cap where the brace was open -- ooooh so sexy. duh me always forgets to put sunblock in at least one place ha ha ha

Have a great Monday everyone.
    Last edited by sulis; 06-05-2006 at 04:41 AM.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    What does "sandbagger" mean?
    sand·bag n.

v. intr. Slang
    To downplay or misrepresent one's ability in order to deceive someone, especially in gambling.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow
    sand·bag n.

v. intr. Slang
    To downplay or misrepresent one's ability in order to deceive someone, especially in gambling.
    Eh, I prefer to think of it as keeping expectations low, so that when you do succeed, everyone is pleasantly surprised.
    Including yourself.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Thanx for the good times ... I need a navigator

Girls, I had a fantastic time. It was great to meet so many of you during dinner and the ride. Glad you liked the stickers! I had to e-mail the dude from Laramie three times before he finally mailed them to me... I would have picked them up, but Laramie is 7 hours east of here.

What great energy from all the women! Someone told me 1,050 women registered before ride day.

I was pretty cranky about not getting on the road until 8:40, but I met up with like-speeded riders soon enough (and almost followed the 65 milers straight at one point, but Bikerhen and Marty helped me figure it out). Then I rode with them for quite a ways before trying to hook up with some fast gravy trains.

But I got in trouble, leaving the wrong way for the 100 right after lunch with some girls, and then when one got a flat (not my friends, not planned ride partners, and Little Red Riding Hood was there to help change it!) I kept going in pursuit of the ladybug team. Missed the top loop altogether so was at the metric length (65ish) at the final rest stop, which was supposed to be 17 miles from the finish. Yikes! I was 23 miles short! So I created my own loop by going left and around the bottom loop again, all by myself. So it sort of stunk being alone for the last 30 miles of a group ride, but I ride by myself a lot.

I couldn't believe that my average heart rate for the day was 150! I've never been able to hold that for 6.5 hours. I believe my average speed was 14.9.

Next year, I'm appointing a navigator, or at least getting one of those stupid $5 map holders so I will actually read the map.

Only 363 more days until LRRH 2007!

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose ...” -- Dr. Seuss

Life's an adventure! http://www.lovenewsjh.blogspot.com

Random thoughts while the morning coffee kicks in.

TH, I love the photos you posted. I'm glad we have a picture of the whole group before we went off on our merry ways. And the look of joy (and relief!!) on our faces at the end says it all.

It was so fun riding into the finish with Trekhawk and CindySue. Bubba as well as Trekhawk's husband and her three adorable little boys were there at the side of the road cheering us on. TH's boys were too funny. One of them took off at a run and followed his mom to the tent, and the other two and dad caught up momentarily. They were soooo cute.

I overheard snippets of conversation among TH and her boys at breakfast earlier that morning and the words of encouragement they were offering her made me crack up. Can't remember verbatim but one of them said something about coming out to get her and towing her back with a a bungie cord if she needed it.

The AV jerseys really stood out. Although the six of us (me, Trekhawk, CindySue, aka_kim, SK and yellow) managed to ride together a great deal, more often than not the other four would soon be way ahead of me & Trekhawk. Which was fine, TH and I were very happy going at our own pace and she was great company. Then we'd round a bend and waaaay off in the distance we'd see a bunch of bright red jerseys, with the distinctive green off-center chainring logo, standing off to the side of the road. Yep, must be another flat! So TH and I would like to thank the rest of you for having flats at strategic locations so you never got very far ahead of us

There was a nice breeze to keep us cool, which was great since I was worried it would be awfully hot - which it wasn't. The breeze did pick up some as the day progressed, but it looked like we'd have a nice tailwind for the ride back.

So when we did the 90 degree turn at mile ~ 75 which pointed us back towards the start, we had a lovely tailwind and we were cruising along at 18-20 mph with almost no effort. "Sweeeet!" I thought. "We'll be finished in way under 2 hours, and fresh as a daisy!". Silly me. About 5 miles later the wind did an abrupt about-face and we suddenly found ourselves riding into a headwind. Trekhawk mentioned something about learning things from me but she neglected to mention much of it was new swear words. The headwind wasn't that bad, and ordinarily the hills in the last 20 miles would not have been much effort at all, but truth be told I was getting tired. Many thanks to TH and CindySue for the words of encouragement and the occasional windblock!

Funny moment: We're chugging along and a gust picks up. CindySue's clear, lovely voice rings out "AGAIN WITH THE HEADWIND?!?!" It was hilarious.

What a great weekend.
    Last edited by jobob; 06-05-2006 at 09:55 AM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl