Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

cool breeze - august 19th

ok.... i started a cool breeze thread so those going can talk about it (seems we have conversation going on in various different threads about it right now!)

i know a lot of us seem to be going... and some are doing the metric... some the century... some the double metric... but one thing seems that ALL of us LOVE the jersey (and socks!)

info

Last edited by caligurl; 06-02-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Ok Ok Ok just because of the jersey, I signed up. It's not like I regret signing up cause this is my favorite ride its just 1) I had planned to just recovery this year and do no organized rides and 2) I need another jersey like I need to have surgery again - no way!

Well it looks like I need to step up my training. I know I can do the metric no problem but would like to do the Century. We will see.

Another option and alot of friends do it this way is to do the "back half" metric. Park at Bates Road and do the Century route around and back to Bates. Get to see the beautiful Century route but lose the 40 miles of flat riding. This route is all hills!!!!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I'm IN!!!

Cali,

You are too cute! I'm definately in and I am DEFINATELY doing the 100! So, if I start an hour before you, maybe we'll finish at the same time!

I sure wish you guys could drive up the night before so we could have a before ride dinner! ... hey, maybe we could have a dennys breakfast!!!

I still haven't gone online and bought the jersey yet.... gotta do that NOW!!!

I can't wait for this ride, its gonna be so purdy!

Tracy

I'm in too. I'm planning to drive up the morning of...unless of course, Tracy has room for me in her hotel I can't wait!!! Oh...and I'm planning to ride the century and I'd like to start as early as possible so I have enough time to finish!

Okay I was starting to get worried with Pam's comments on climbing HOWEVER, I did the 68 mile route of Cruisin' the Conejo and that had 3000 feet of climbing (Cali, please correct me if I am wrong 100mile = 6,000+ climbing, 62 miler = 4500 of climbing and the 68 had 3000 feet... is that right? They took it off the website so I can't check it???)

Anyway, if I can do 3000 in 68 then 3500 over 100 isn't much different... right ??? Someone please pipe up and sooth my nerves!

But, I did just buy my jersey and socks! hee hee hee, they are SO cool!

Trac'

Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    Okay I was starting to get worried with Pam's comments on climbing HOWEVER, I did the 68 mile route of Cruisin' the Conejo and that had 3000 feet of climbing (Cali, please correct me if I am wrong 100mile = 6,000+ climbing, 62 miler = 4500 of climbing and the 68 had 3000 feet... is that right? They took it off the website so I can't check it???)

Anyway, if I can do 3000 in 68 then 3500 over 100 isn't much different... right ??? Someone please pipe up and sooth my nerves!

But, I did just buy my jersey and socks! hee hee hee, they are SO cool!

Trac'
    sounds right to me! and an additional 500 feet over an additional 32 miles should be a little "easier" i would think! but then... that's all relative to the steepness of the climbs! i think you will do fine on cool breeze! when bc68 signs on... she can give you some input for the century route... since she did that one.... i know a LOT of the two routes overlapped (actually i guess a lot of all four overlapped in some ways)... but i don't know which parts (with the exeption of knowing about the GAWDAWFUL HILL! and ya... i'm still griping about it almost a year later... and once i have to climb it again... i'll gripe about it for another year!)
    Last edited by caligurl; 06-02-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Here's the thing about climbing - take two rides with the same mileage - say 100 miles and same elevation gain say 3000'. Are the rides the exact same? Well no. One ride can be tougher than the other. The Conejo ride also has alot of climbing and is on par with the Cool Breeze but most of the Cool Breeze's elevation is gained in the middle 60 miles. The front and back 20 is flat, flat, flat. There are a couple of tough hills- the one through Summerland comes to mind, but you and Brandy are stronger climbers than I I can do the climbs just slow. I'm much faster through the flats and descents. So basically you guys will beat me up hill but I'll catch you on the down.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

"It's okay Pam...you can just say my name! My name is Brandy and I am afraid of descending. I'm part of the white knuckle club "

My husband just came in the room to ask what on earth I was laughing at! That is SO funny!!!! Brandy, by then, you will be much more comfortable AND, you can always walk down the hills as well. I'm part of the white knuckle club too but mine aren't quite as white as Brandy's! As long as there's nothing like Potero, I'll be fine... slow, but fine

Pam, I would love it if you and Brandy and I could ride together but if so, I'd want to start the second they let us! Did you talk Wayne into coming too??? For some reason I find his presence comforting!

This will be a great ride, Pam, I am really glad you broke down and decided to do this ride!
    brought this over from the other thread!

for starting.... there is no mass start... you register and can go as soon as you are ready! they give you your jersey at registration... so you'll need to go back to your car to put it away! they had a gizzilion porta porties by the parking lot (with hand washing stations!)

the meal at the end was good too! catered!

brought this one over from the other thread, too!

Originally Posted by bcipam
    Cali:

I agree not really any scary hills at least for me. But some of the TE gals are new riders and there are hills (like through Summerland) which are steep and winding and of course, there is the descent off the back side of the Century. A hell of a fun ride down but can be intimidating for a newbie. For me the only reason to climb is to take the downhills!!!

Cali - how long will it take you to do the double metric? Last time I did the Century it took me (including stops and lunch) 8 hours. I'm fast on the flats but very slow on all those hills.

ok.... naughty me..... i forgot... i thought you were referring to tracy... and potrero being a scary descent! (and i'm the one over at bikejournal "yelling" at the guys not to scare of the newbie that's asking questions! and here i'm doing at the forum i'm telling her to come to! BAD, cali!!!!!!!!!!)

ok... don't laugh at me... i've NEVER claimed i have SPEED! and always admit that i'm a slow rider!!!!!!!!!!!!! it took me 9:23 ride time! (i post ride time in my bikejournal... so don't know stop time.. i do try to keep stops brief though! cuz i know i'm slow on the road!)

128 miles.... 4863 calories and 7230 feet of elevation gain according to my polar! oh... foggy and misty in the morning... cool... then sunny and nice... with a ride average of 73 degrees... low 57.... high 88.... average speed was 13.7.... i WISH i had hit a lap on that hill so i had known how steep it was! the closest hills i've done since that one (in steepness) was at the redlands savage hill climb.... not sure which ones were worse... cuz the cool breeze one was at 100ish mile mark.. and the redlands ones had 7 steep climbs encompassed in a metric (or just shy of a metric) (and AGAIN... anyone not doing the metric will NOT have to climb that hill... ALL other rides go a different route! so don't be scared off!)

now that i think back.... i do remember one section they had marked with temporary signs about SLOW... cuz it was steep! but not sure which routes would have that descent! (it was after the steep climb for me... but may have met back up with the century route by then!)

nope, not me... I'll be riding right along with you Pam! Brandy will be up at the top pickin' her nose, waiting for us! Then, you'll be down at the bottom waiting! I'll hold the spot in the middle... I've definately got some hill work to do, that is for SURE!

Although, I do like that the hills are in the middle of the ride, late enough to get warmed and get into a rhythm up but early enough not to be exhausted. Now I just need to be able to do 100 miles ...ahem!

Trac'

you'll do fine, tracy! and so will brandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everyone will do GREAT! why? cuz i said so! lol!

does anyone happen to have a route slip from Cool Breeze? Maybe it would be wise to preview some of these hills!

Trac'

Thanks Cali! I'll take all the encouragement I can get!

T~

does anyone happen to have a route slip from Cool Breeze? Maybe it would be wise to preview some of these hills!

Trac'
    well.... i always INTEND to keep my route slips.... always INTENDED to make a file for them..... but alas.. the only ones i know where i could my hands on right now are BA and heartbreak (only cuz the heartbreak one is in the garage and i see it every time i get ready for a ride! and the BA one is in a pile of bills i have to file! )

Trac'
    It has long been my belief "ignorance is bliss..." Just better to hit the hills head on and not know about them. Just trust me - do hills during your training.

Last year they changed the route alot due to construction so who knows what the route will be like this year. Just plan on riding, enjoying the scenary, sag stops, lunch and dinner and oh yeah, our company.

I figure a first time Century for you guys - will take 8 maybe 9 hours. So if we leave by 7:30 - 8 and we don't dalley at the sag stops (my philsophy - "get in get out") you should be done in time for dinner by 4:30 - 5. If worse comes to worse and Wayne is with us, we can send him ahead to get the truck and come pick us up. I don't call him "Lassie" for nothing!

PS:

Tracey and Nina: The hills are all mostly inland off of 101. We start climbing inland from Bates Road and go through alot of orchards and stuff before coming into Santa Barbara. Once in SB we go inland again and start climbing, alot. You climb into the hills just before Goleta. It's beautiful up there!!! Yu basically go through a forest area. Then there is a long downhill into Santa Barbara where you have to ride along the beach area (yes, Caligurl, I hated this part the most) and then you go back inland (and yes climb again) for awhile before coming back out to the Beach and flats again.

Just train for hills and distance and the rest will come easy. Try and find a nice long hill in your area and do some repeats (ie climb it a few times). You need to practice the downs as much as the ups. You should be comfortable doing 65 - 70 miles before you are ready for the Century.

I have a nice hilly route out here that I train on. You are welcome to come out and ride it with me.
    Last edited by bcipam; 06-02-2006 at 02:01 PM.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl