Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

8/25 Hooky Day at Annadel State Park

To disable ads, please log-in.

Before Veronica goes back to school, we池e going to squeeze in a day of mountainbiking over in Santa Rosa. We値l cover about 20 miles of mostly singletrack. The trails are intermediate and conditions will probably somewhat loose and dusty. The day will start early because of the heat and you値l need to carry enough water for the entire ride.

Anyone want to join us for our all day adventure?

Some info on the trails:
    http://www.bmxnonstop.com/mtb/annadel.htm

The state web site:
    http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=480

We値l meet and park at Spring Lake:
    http://www.sonoma-county.org/parks/pk_slake.htm
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Dang! If it was a different day I'd love to join you. Alas, I'm driving to lovely San Ardo on Friday (we race Saturday morning).

HA! My husbands old stomping grounds!!!
    Have fun girls! And be sure to stop up top at the lake for a nice break.

I haven't been on my mountain bike in 3 years, or I'd love to meet you up there. Don't forget to bring swim gear for Lake Ilsanjo if it's especially hot.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

You know, I've fished there but never gone swimming in it. Sounds nice as it's always dusty that time of year but we'll pass the lake early in our adventure. I suppose we could detour from Steve's or S (I never remember the name because it isn't on any of my maps) but then we'd have another ridge to climb over.

Anyone know of a really current trail map? I'm dependent on one from years back where we've drawn in the newer trails.

Ooohh that does sound like fun but Pete is already loooking after the tackers on Sunday so I can do the Fair Oaks Metric so I better not sign up for this one.

Have fun and take some pics if you get a chance.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Anyone know of a really current trail map? I'm dependent on one from years back where we've drawn in the newer trails.
    There is a really good one, done by 360 Maps:

http://www.360geographics.com/360maps/ (the rangers appreciate the well done map, but it does point out some illegal trails they don't want people on)

I know you can get it at some local shops if they can't get it to you by the end of the week.

The Sonoma County Bike Coalition posted a link to the state parks published map, but it cuts the park into sections.

http://bikesonoma.org/PREV/AnnadelSP.pdf
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

Thanks, Deanna. I just emailed them to see if I can get the maps by Thursday. A possible 10-day wait is pretty extreme. We'll be on the trail before the shops open so I'm dependent on them responding to my email.

I have asked if there is a retailer in Davis.

I'll check to see if I still have one. If they can't get it to you, I'll see what I can do.

Cool news! I've been emailing with the map company and he's going to drop the map(s) in the mail from Berkeley tomorrow. That should get it to me on Thursday. I've asked him to mail whatever method possible that works. Just waiting for a shipment fee. $1 for 3 maps doesn't seem quite right.

Thanks, Deanna, for the info and the offer.

Ohh, I just remembered - most, if not all of Steve's S is off limits to bikes. It's an interesting trail though--covered with obsidian flakes from when regional tribes got obsidian there (they only carved "blanks" for transport, so your not likely to find arrowheads). I did some state park volunteer training there, I wish I could go with you so I could see how much I remember.

http://www.ogrehut.net/trails.php/Bay-North/Annadel
    http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Maps/Annadel_Map.pdf

Look, I found a fairly up to date map in case the other doesn稚 make it in time.

We usually, park at Spring Lake and ride up Channel Drive/Trail (depending on how easy a warm up is desired), up Richardson, up either Two Quarry or South Burma (pros and cons to each) to Ledson Marsh.

We then pick up Marsh to Ridge/Upper Steve痴 (this is not the closed piece) and back to Marsh. My old maps didn't have this on them.

I知 then in a quandary and I値l have to go find my old notes. I swear we descend on Canyon and Cobblestone but I don稚 know how we got from one to the other. I知 also tempted by descending Canyon to Spring Creek to get to North Burma and Channel Trail. I致e never descended that way and some of the trail reports make it sound fun.

Cobblestone is cool because you get some views but you can get rattled to death. V has a hard tail and Cobblestone can get a bit old on a hardtail. That said, I used to ride Annadel on a fully rigid bike before they re-vamped the trails and made them MTB friendly. I知 older and less compliant now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk
    . . . .the tackers
    Since this is in context, I can figure it out. But the derivation????

Ditch the metric and come play with us!

LOL - nah cant blow off the metric I have organized to ride with Jim V from BJ and he always has lots of yummy food to share. Seriously though Im not sure I would be able to keep up with you two. Enjoy the ride and dont forget pictures please.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Deanna - all 3 maps arrived today! They are very nice. Thanks again. Sure you don't want to dust off the trust dirt bike?