Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

What kind of pedals do you use?

Some dude on another forum was giving me grief for posting that I use SPD-SL pedals. Aside from the fact that I think he read "SPD" when I said "SPD-SL," I wanted to say "why is it your business how I ride my bike?"

So, to make us all feel a little less alone (or at least me), what kind of pedals do you use? Platforms, cages, clipless systems, everyone chime in

Here are mine, just the basic Shimano SPD-SL pedal (the R540). This was my first time buying pedals, so I went with something I could learn on, still feel a little stable, and not invest tons of money right off the bat. (See, the guy already made me feel like I have to justify myself... argh)

I have SPD-SLs, too, the 105 ones.

I like them but I am seriously thinking of changing them for Ultegra. The latter's axis spins much more easily (hence the pedal ends up in the right position all the time) and clipping in and out of them is more easy (for some reason even at the lowest setting mine are hard to get out of).

In Vancouver they are nearly standard. I haven't seen many riders use Looks here (contrary to the situation I had seen in Montreal).

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I have speedplay. I needed them so my left knee could roate a little (old running injury).
    I love them, but haven't ever had any other, so don't know what to compare it too. My dh has SPD pedals and he loves them. Don't let that guy get to you...
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Speedplays

I second the Speedplay X/5's or any model. The float is awesome.

I have SPD M-324's on my road bike. It's just easier for me to have one side platform & one clipless side since I use my bike for short trips to grocery store & road riding

I have the same pedal as Pikato and love 'em. Versatile. "The People's Pedal!" That said, next year, I might have snobbier pedals (speedplays) put on my Luna.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Mick--
    What shoes do you wear with them?

I also have the SPD-SL R540s on my road bike - they are the pedals it came with and I see no reason to change. They do the job and I certainly prefer them to the old style Looks on my previous bike

This thead looks like it is mostly about road bikes but for what it is worth all my pedals are shimano at the moment - I have the 324's on my commuter and the 525's on my mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by colby
    Some dude on another forum was giving me grief for posting that I use SPD-SL pedals. Aside from the fact that I think he read "SPD" when I said "SPD-SL," I wanted to say "why is it your business how I ride my bike?"
    I guess this shows how new I am...but's what wrong with just saying SPD? The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked, right?

i have speedplays on both my road bikes....

I have Speedplay Frogs. Didn't know they were snobby. Just thought they were cute and extraordinarily easy to use and easy on my knee and hip. They do look a bit like little froggies.... ribbit ribbit!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I've got Looks.

You don't need to justify yourself! Heck, I bought MY pedals cause they were the cheapest the shop had! They've worked for me so far....

Don't let the mutterings of an Internet gear-snob make you feel bad for your own preferences.

K.

Look Keos. I love them - you can get clicked in while standing to accelerate from a stop.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Don't let that dude get to you... there are some total bike snobs out there who really should have better things to be uppity about.

I have speedplay frogs on my road bike. I had some guy belittle me because they're mtb pedals on a road bike. Then he was totally rude about the brand of bike I own as well. Ugh! Like how insecure does a person have to be to do that?!

I also have Shimano m520's on my mountain bike.

Frogs on two bikes - road and frankenstein commuter. I used the Speedplay X/2's for years but wanted a mountain shoe to walk in easier.

I prefer the extra float because of issues I have had with my right foot - double bunion surgery with a morton's neuroma. Although the problems have been fixed, I still can't keep that foot in fixed position for long periods of time.