Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Big Digger....

Big Digger....

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's a beautiful day here - sunny, around 80 with a nice breeze. My bf has the day off so I called to see if he wanted to meet me for a ride. Yep - our first ride together!

So I left work feeling good, the breeze in my hair the sun on my face. About a mile from work is a busy intersection. There was no traffic behind me, a truck in front of me and the light was green. I pedaled into the left turn lane behind the truck, made my signal and preceeded to follow him into the intersection. It looked like he was going to take the inside lane so I veered to the outside lane and he took the outside lane and slowed down a bit. I got too close to him, was leaning too much into the turn (guess my head was still mtbing!) and I laid it down. My left elbow, minus the skin, took the brunt of it. My outer thigh was protected by my shorts but still got scrapped up good.

Fortunately, my head didn't hit and I got up so fast you probably didn't notice I fell. And nice bystanders that we have here, no one even stopped to ask if I was ok. I got me and Forest out of the intersection and I inspected him - dropped chain, popped right tire but no major marks. My arm took one for the team. I called my paramedic bf (told you he'd come in handy!). He brought me back to work and patched me up best he could and even helped me change back into my street clothes. As if I didn't need to see my chiro after my race this weekend, I have an appointment at 5:45 tonight. Can't wait...

Ouch, the swelling is starting and I can feel it down into my hand. I'm off in search of ibuprofen. The brandy will have to wait until later.

Be safe out there ladies. And Renee, I am definitely not riding the big ring this weekend, but I'm planning on being there to cheer you on!
    Dar

Quote Originally Posted by mtbdarby signature line
    That which does not kill you makes you stronger - Nietzsche
    Did this incident make you stronger? Sorry to hear about it. Try to milk it for as much sympathy from BF as you can. Maybe some cookies or something might make you feel better.

AG, since it's his day off he's going to pick up my son from dc and feed him supper so I can go to the chiro. That's a pretty sweet deal for momma!
    Dar

Glad to hear you're ok with your spill! Hang on to the bf...a guy that will help with the lil man, and doctor you up..he's a keeper! HEHE.

Hope your appt goes well and you're feeling lots better soon!

Kim

Hey, hey, hey...watch that. You have to stay healthy for the GRABAAWR. If you feel sore today I'm sure tomorrow will be worse. Rest up and take all the pampering you can get.

Sorry to hear about your tumble. Glad your noggin didn't take a knock!
    As well as the 'brufen, don't forget RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) for your elbow/thigh (although trying to elevate your arm and your leg is practically a goose-step, so maybe just in the privacy of your own home?!).
    Oh, and not forgetting the brandy - always good for the psyche!

Joking aside, glad to hear you weren't more seriously injured. Hope the bruising isn't too bad. x
    Life is Good!

Update.....my arm was still swollen pretty bad this am so bf told me to get in for xrays. Thankfully I didn't break my elbow or arm, but I will be off the bike for a little bit. And the brandy didn't help, but it did taste good

And my theory is my tire blew as I took the turn so my biking buddy is coming over tonight and we're gonna check out the tube and the tire to see if I ran over some glass or something.
    Dar

Take care and heal quickly! My son had a spill last year and took off a patch of skin from his wrist to elbow. Ouch! Remember to protect that new skin from the sun after it heals.

Arnica for contusions. It is homopathic but pretty readily available; not at all exotic or weirdo. Eats up the bruising like nothing else!

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!