Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Frogs on two bikes - road and frankenstein commuter. I used the Speedplay X/2's for years but wanted a mountain shoe to walk in easier.

I prefer the extra float because of issues I have had with my right foot - double bunion surgery with a morton's neuroma. Although the problems have been fixed, I still can't keep that foot in fixed position for long periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by li10up
    I guess this shows how new I am...but's what wrong with just saying SPD? The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked, right?
    The "political" part of your question was answered (bike snobbery), but the basic reason is that "SPD" and "SPD-SL" are two different systems, so I was thinking he saw the "SPD-SL" and assumed they were both the same, when they are different.

Traditionally, SPD is more of a MTB style and SPD-SL is more of a road style, but all that matters really is what you want to ride and what feels good. The guy just set me off into a defensive mode when I have enough trouble convincing myself that I'm a "real" cyclist anyway.

Here's what he actually said:

Quote Originally Posted by InternetGuy
    SPD on a road bike? Unless you're a fat chick (are over 180 pounds) get some Speedplays. Much better feel to them, and will loose some weight.
    Anyway, my dad has SPD pedals, too. His are way easier to get into and out of than mine, and the MTB shoes are a lot easier to walk in. My dad thinks it's payback -- he has to watch me walk in my cleats from his nice MTB shoes, and I have to watch him walk in his ski boots from my nice snowboard boots

I have Speedplays. LOVE THEM!

So easy to clip in and out of... I NEVER have to look down... and I love the float they give. Saved my knees!

I also encouraged my boyfriend to get them as well... and he loves them. And, he use to struggle clipping in at every light with his old pedals... and now he never does.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Look Keo on my road bike and campus pedals (flat on one side, spd on the other) on my hybrid.
    Brina

"Truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed; then violently opposed; finally, it’s accepted as being self-evident." Schopenhauer

Look A5.1's on my Lemond. Look PP357's on my Trek.

I like Look's, in case you couldn't tell Sounds like that guy's just a bike snob.
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

eggbeaters

I'm surprised no one has said eggbeaters. Love mine. Don't find the complete lack of platform to be an issue on either my DF or recumbent. Used to have SPDs, never going back.

spd !

I use Shimano SPD pedals. I like being able to walk when I get off the bike. I've been in several situations where I've needed to walk a lot off the bike while we were out...once about 2 miles down a mountain because I flatted out for the third time in the ride half way down Saluda grade in NC. My tire had a huge gash in it from some glass, and we had no more tubes. Bonus...no cell phone signal because of where we were in the mountains. So we walked until we got a signal, then called someone for a ride. I can't imagine doing that walk in road shoes! Flatting out on that incline was scary enough!

Of course, there are great reasons for wearing road shoes which have already been mentioned. And maybe they do give you a little more power...but I think the rider has more to do with that equation than the shoe. I have a friend who rode the Assault on Mt. Mitchell in a little under 6 hours...an incredible time...he lives on his bike...and he swears by SPDs because of their comfort.

In the end, it comes down to rider preference.

I had spd's, then when my shoes wore out, I got new shoes and pedals (on a win off a bet). I got the speedplay's. I love them

I use Shimano SPD mountain bike pedals on my road bike. They are double sided so I don't have to fiddle with getting them right side up. I also wear mtb shoes on my road bike (listen, those guys in the other forum just passed out ). Here in Utah them there's some hills and mountains that require my walking up aforementioned hills and mountains.

In fact during the ULCER ride last year, a guy asked if I always carry a pine cone with me. I thought "that doughhead is making fun of my mtb shoes". I just kind of nodded and smiled and he said I must carry it for luck. I was kind of ticked. Later, I looked and there was a soft pine cone caught in my mtb shoe.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

This is a question for Speedplay users.
    To float or not to float?!
    I'm thinking of changing to Speedplay pedals later in the year and not sure if I'd want free-float or adjustable.
    For those who use the X Series, does the free float take much getting used to? I currently used SPDs, with minimal float and am leaning more towards the Zeros, but would be interested to hear from women out there "in the field"!
    I like the idea of unrestricted float (kinder to the knees), but not sure I'd get on with them.
    [/Ramble Over]
    Life is Good!

Wink

I have what they call "Campus pedals" SPD on one side, flat on the other. That way I can use either one. Also the shoes I got are called road/touring shoe. They have tread from front to back, enough to get a grip, but not like a mtn bike shoe.

I have the spd-sl ultegras??? I've always used shimano pedals though. I need the larger platform because I have issues with hotfoot!

Tracy

ps. that guy sounds like a d**k, don't pay any attention to him. what a loser.

I've got eggbeaters on my mountain bike and speedplays (the cheapest ones) on my road bike.

I really like both of them, but they're the only thing I've ever ridden with, so I can't compare.

I will take my mountain bike on rides where I know I'm going to want to walk because of the recessed cleat. It's one reason I rode my mountain bike on the Rosarito-Ensenada ride this year, so I could walk around after. (Besides, I was going with my husband who rides a lot less than I do, so I was doing a relatively slow ride anyway.)

I had been using my mountain bike pedals and shoes for years on my road bike, doing everyday riding, triathlon to half ironman distance and mutiday touring, and was very happy with the system.

Then one day, about 6 months ago, I decided that I was a REAL bike rider and needed some road pedals and shoes.

The first thing I noticed was that it is much harder to get into and out of the pedals and you can't pedal without clipping in. As most of my riding these days involves routes that have stops and lights etc and I found myself getting really anxious that I wouldn't be able to get into and out of my pedals safely and easily. I also decided that my tentitive start at group riding would have to get put on hold as I was scared that I would bring down the whole group when I couldn't get clipped in at the lights.

I started riding less and wind training more and then winter came ...... and the excuses go on.

So last week, I thought "Bugger it!!!" ( I hope that is not rude in America). I bought some new mountain bike shoes (thanks TE) and put my old pedals back on and I am happier already.

Sorry, in answer to the question posted in the thread, I (proudly) use Shimano SPD mountain bike style pedals and I have Look Keos Sprints in the garage (nothing wrong with the pedals, all to do with the rider).