Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    i saw one on a surplus, i better check it out after work it looks cool!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    13

    Wellgo and Specialized mtb shoes

    Like KimmyT, I bought my pedals cos they were the cheapest in the shop! They're Wellgo SPD compatible pedals. I have lovely mountain bike shoes (HA! to the snobs) which I bought cos they were pretty. Honestly! They're black, suede-look, with pink embroidery swirls and easy to walk in.

    http://www.jacksbikes.com/specialize...hoeRiata_l.jpg

    But I do suffer with my knees. Could someone explain (or point me in the direction of an explanation) of what is better about more "float" and why some pedals are supposed to be kinder to the knees?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by pikato
    Mick--
    What shoes do you wear with them?
    I wear Rose-colored Sidi Dominators (mountain, not road, even though I'm a roadie).

    Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Welsh but living in Munich, Germany
    Posts
    324
    I have look pedals on my new road bike, and I love them. Easy to adjust and much easier to get out of than the spd-r pedals on my old bike. We also found some cleat covers made out of rubber to protect the cleats and give some grip when not on the bike (alas, they do not stop you walking like a duck).

    My mountain bike has standard pedals - no clips there.
    Bron

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    19
    Ultegras here- can quickly get in and out of them and can actually pedal unclipped while slow maneuvering. I've also developed a one-legged pedaling skill, and that helps a lot when taking off from a stop. Forget about walking in the shoes, though!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    20
    Opening my mind to have my feet attached to pedals.

    When referring to Speedplays, what does it mean when you say float versus no float?

    Thanks,

    Maggie

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    806
    We also found some cleat covers made out of rubber to protect the cleats and give some grip when not on the bike (alas, they do not stop you walking like a duck).
    LOL. I have those too. And yes, you still waddle. But they're great for going indoors and not wiping out on a slick floor surface.

    This is a question for Speedplay users.
    To float or not to float?!
    Look has the same option on float, except it depends on the cleat you buy (red=float, black=no float). There may be pedals that don't allow it either, but I'm not familiar with that. Anyway, it's my bias that float is important for your knees. If you have strong knees, then no float would be ok I'd assume. But personally I don't, so I use the red cleats so I can have a little bit of movement.
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Concord, MA
    Posts
    13,143
    I started with mountain spds on my first road bike. Then i switched to Speedplays (the cheap ones) for road. I love them, though I had about 2 days where the float felt weird compared to the spds. However, now I am thinking of switching to Frogs on my road bike because I will be doing some touring this summer where the daily lunch will involve walking (i.e. no support van to carry your clogs or sandals). Of course this will necessitate new shoes. Right now I have Sidi Dominators for the road. I have "campus" pedals on my mtb. I really want to get Frogs for my mtb, but I am a little worried about having to be clipped in all of the time. But right now I am having a lot of trouble getting in and out of them, even though I had no trouble with them on my road bike. So I end up riding on the regular pedals. I think the dual sided ones are harder, because they flip over. So, if I get the Frogs, I could have one pair of shoes and keep the spd shoes I have now for spin class. They are also Sidis, but a different style.
    I wouldn't worry about the comments. Even my husband is thinking about getting the Frogs. He said the only reason he got the road shoes was because that's what my son had, and he was racing and only concerned with speed.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southwest Idaho
    Posts
    518
    Ritchey pedals on the road bike because they were middle of the road, pricewise. I didn't want to go too cheap. Cages on the mtn. bike. I will be putting Frogs on my cyclocross/commuter when I get her in two weeks.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    1,004
    Quote Originally Posted by colby
    Here are mine, just the basic Shimano SPD-SL pedal (the R540).
    Sportin' the same ones as you Colby

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    555
    I use Time mtb pedals for all my bikes. I don't want to worry about different shoes for different bikes.

    I also have the Specialized MTB shoes w/ pink embroidery. They're a very cute shoe that I've found to ventilate very well.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,548
    Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet
    I'm surprised no one has said eggbeaters. Love mine. Don't find the complete lack of platform to be an issue on either my DF or recumbent. Used to have SPDs, never going back.
    Eggbeaters? I have cages around my feet. I love them too. Right now i am trying a new bike and it has just plain pedals and i forgot just how tough that is!! (how did we do that??!)

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Southern New England
    Posts
    195
    I have Look 363's on my road bike; time atac carbon on my mtn bike, regular time atac on my commuter/beater bike.

    Internet guy was just plain rude...based on his comment, take his opinion w/less than a grain of salt---not worth it!

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    the foggy wetlands,los osos,ca
    Posts
    2,863
    Quote Originally Posted by maggiedatongue
    Opening my mind to have my feet attached to pedals.

    When referring to Speedplays, what does it mean when you say float versus no float?

    Thanks,

    Maggie
    In case nobody answered this, float is a good thing if you are a beginner. It allows your foot to move a bit in the pedal. if there is no float you are very secure in it. I like a little float right now cause I just started using clipless about 3 months ago. I don't even know what my pedals are. I am hoping to get some new one's. Perfomance is having a sale on crank brothers Candy c se's. The one's I have now are good for learning and that is it. they make a metal grinding noise that drives me nut's. Like finger nails on a chaulk board! AHHHHHHHH!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

  15. #45
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by SnappyPix
    This is a question for Speedplay users.
    To float or not to float?!
    I'm thinking of changing to Speedplay pedals later in the year and not sure if I'd want free-float or adjustable.
    For those who use the X Series, does the free float take much getting used to? I currently used SPDs, with minimal float and am leaning more towards the Zeros, but would be interested to hear from women out there "in the field"!
    I like the idea of unrestricted float (kinder to the knees), but not sure I'd get on with them.
    [/Ramble Over]
    I have the X/5's and love the float. Nothing really to get used to - if you think about how you ride, you won't feel like you'll be close to clipping out if that is your fear.

    I also dismantle my clips on my shoes because sand, dirt, tiny rocks, etc will jam up the works and won't give me as much float. Not work intensive - just good maintenance.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •