Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

June 1 ride reports

To disable ads, please log-in.

It was warm enough that I could ride without tights! I celebrated by tacking on a extra half mile. I could have done more, but I need to do map consulting. No "June Gloom"(Morning fog) yet, so I get the sun come up over The San Bernardinos. Life is good.

It was so very gorgeous this morning. My good friend Tiffanie got her road bike yesterday and she was itching to get out and ride. She IM'ed me this morning to tell me that her dh was going to watch her dd and that she was going to go ride around the park. Friends don't let friends limit their first ride on their new road bike to circles at the local park, so I called Grandma, begged her to watch the boys for a couple of hours and met Tiff at her house. I pulled up and she was out front eating a bowl of ???? and she actually jumped up and down, she was so excited! We set off for the park and quickly decided we needed to ride to the beach. We ended up doing 17.3 miles, it was so much fun and I'm ecstatic that she finally has her bike and I don't have to ride solo all the time now!

I was going to ride longer this morning but my early rising meant I did some yoga and I think that meant that last night's digestion meant I ... well, I didn't leave early, but, um, "this too shall pass through" applied so things were okay before long.
    Now it's raining but I am confident that the weather would ***never*** rain on me twice in a row. (Usually it's 3-4000 miles between dampenings; I'm disgustingly lucky.) Yesterday the weather *was* at least kind enough to keep the tornadoes a good 10 miles south of here - and ten miles further north and I could have been bone dry.
    This shower will end and I'll take off, prob'ly the long way.
    My May stats: rode 30 days, 848 miles. Now to try to make 1000 for June! (Yes, commuting ROCKS and I've got GITAP for a few hundred miles in the middle!)

Did 16 and some change running errands and scoping out new LBS's (I moved recently). Picked up my prescription in the Walgreens drive thru Didn't get to commute today though. Had to be one of those driver people. Tomorrow is a different story.
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

A hot hour tonight.. When I went out at 6:30 it was 106, it hasn't changed much in the hour I was out..

Wind Calm Temp 105F Humidity 8% Dewpoint 31F Pressure 1008.6 mb

You ever ride when it's so hot that you just expect your tires to either melt or explode at any given time?? The heat was radiating from the pavement..
    Ahhh summer in Phoenix!
    It was good hot sweaty fun, hardly anyone was out, it was just me and the bunnies. I went by the entrance to our golf village and there was a whole family hanging out on the patch of grass under the sign. I was thinking that the grass prolly feels cool to them.
    I've been riding really strong lately. The only problem is I just can't seem to get anything in over 2 hours because of the heat. I need to invest in lights. Or I guess I can steal Tonys high zoot light and motion helmet light...
    But I have a hard enough time getting my fanny out of bed at 5:00 am for a little run, much less 4:00 am for a long ride.. ugh!
    I suppose I should just chalk it up to being my off season and chill out. But reading all these ride reports just makes me want to GO!!
    Good day today! I LOVE my bike!!
    Denise

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    14 miles to work this morning. New route through Capitol Hill. I'll add it to my route list for variation. I also did a three-mile time trial once I got on the multi-use trail. I'm using my time as a base measure to see if I can improve my speed over the coming months.

We had some threats of rain today and it looked pretty dark outside at times but when I checked the weather before our ride the rain was to the South of us. I was riding with a group that I ride with every week and one of the guys said “Oh, I have a route that is about 26 miles and is pretty flat”. So we followed him (5 of us) and doesn't he take us south! We probably rode about 17 miles before it started to rain, we saw some lightening and heard some thunder in the distance then it started to pour. We rode about 3 more miles then we stopped for a minute to decide whether to bail or continue, we continued because although it was pouring, the lightening and thunder had stopped! We rode another 3-4 miles and the rain stopped. Our trip ended up being 31 miles and we averaged 17 mph. It is always a good day when we can ride our bikes!!

Had a great day on the bike today. 21.5 miles all in all.

Rode up to Rogers Park for an appt, and home, 12 mi. Rode to LBS, replaced saddle that was leaving my female bits numb.

Was going to ride to volleyball, which I play every Thurs, about 4 miles away. The friend who has the ball called, asked if I could bring my ball instead. Sure....but on the bike?

We now know that a medium Timbuk 2 bag holds: Shoes, pants, bra, shirt, jacket, wallet, phone, and a volleyball. No problem.

Felt great. I like the new saddle so far. Can't remember what it's called, but it has a drawing of a sun on the right rear of the seat.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Love the timbuk 2 bags!!
    (insert picture of Denise waving at Lise )
    So how is the weather in chicago these days? My neighbors are from the south side and they are back there as we speak visiting family and having some good chicago dogs..

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    It was so very gorgeous this morning. My good friend Tiffanie got her road bike yesterday and she was itching to get out and ride. She IM'ed me this morning to tell me that her dh was going to watch her dd and that she was going to go ride around the park. Friends don't let friends limit their first ride on their new road bike to circles at the local park, so I called Grandma, begged her to watch the boys for a couple of hours and met Tiff at her house. I pulled up and she was out front eating a bowl of ???? and she actually jumped up and down, she was so excited! We set off for the park and quickly decided we needed to ride to the beach. We ended up doing 17.3 miles, it was so much fun and I'm ecstatic that she finally has her bike and I don't have to ride solo all the time now!
    That would be a bowl of oatmeal.
    What a great day! **sigh** I've been thinking about it all day!

Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy
    Love the timbuk 2 bags!!
    (insert picture of Denise waving at Lise )
    So how is the weather in chicago these days? My neighbors are from the south side and they are back there as we speak visiting family and having some good chicago dogs..
    Hey, Denise! The weather's nice. A little cooler than I expected this AM, but lovely now. I wore a t-shirt and bike shorts to ride to volleyball, put a thin jacket over it to ride home after dinner. I hear it was swelteringly hot here over the weekend, while SLC was cool. While I was away, the roses bloomed. What a wonderful thing to come home to!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Lise - that's the seat I have! Serfas. I bought it because of that sun! (I'm a sucker, but that's ok) Not as awesome for my buns as the Terry Sport, but close.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    Lise - that's the seat I have! Serfas. I bought it because of that sun! (I'm a sucker, but that's ok) Not as awesome for my buns as the Terry Sport, but close.
    Yep, that's the name. I knew it was "S" something.

My hind parts are fine on either saddle, but my forward bits were numb after the 11 mile tri ride. Nooooo, not ok. I'm going to get a tri specific saddle, and aerobars, probably the end of this month. That will be interesting, to see what a difference it makes in a tri.

L.
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock