Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

the headwind ride that sticks in my mind the most was new year's day this year..... i have this one route that is rolly... but mostly up on the way out.... i was FLYING up the hills... but then.... i had a 25-30 mph (or more... forget now) tail wind! then i turned around..... i was actually using my baby (granny) gear to pedal DOWN the hills! it was AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

i always slow down in a head wind.... and i particularly hate when i have the strong (20-25 mph) headwinds when climbing!!! it's bad enough on a flat... but add it to a hill... UGH!

Yes, it slows me down as well, but mostly if I go uphill. I can hold 22-25 pmph on flats without a problem. Depending on the wind strength it can slow me down to 17-20. Going uphill against wind is not fun at all. In places where I hold 14-15 slows me down to 10-12. But if the wind is really nasty - I don't ride at all. I hate those AZ tumbleweeds fying in my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenusik
    I can hold 22-25 pmph on flats without a problem. Depending on the wind strength it can slow me down to 17-20. Going uphill against wind is not fun at all. In places where I hold 14-15 slows me down to 10-12.
    OHMIGOD! you gals are freaking FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 22-25 mph!???????????? 17-20 with headwinds??????????????????????????????

FOURTEEN TO FIFTEEN GOING UP-FREAKIN-HILL w/a headwind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Common, I am not talking about Alps. I live in AZ.

wow that is pretty fast!!!! I need to buy a motor bike to go that fast :-)

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl
    OHMIGOD! you gals are freaking FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 22-25 mph!???????????? 17-20 with headwinds??????????????????????????????

FOURTEEN TO FIFTEEN GOING UP-FREAKIN-HILL w/a headwind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe what THEY are calling a hill isn't what WE call hills?

Well, my bike is very light: 17 pounds. I ride with my husband a lot and we draft from each other. But flats without any wind are not a problem for me. I wish I could ride as fast as he does upill. The same hill which kills me if I go 13-14 mph he TAKES at 22! I don't know how long I need to ride to get there.

This past weekend I did a 79 mile ride in the Paso Robles area (mid state)which, for the first 50+miles, had strong headwinds and crosswinds. It didn't matter which way the road turned, we had wind! Not only that, we had some pretty serious hills to climb as well! Needless to say, that kind of riding is very tiring.

Generally when I hit the "winds" (and we have plenty of them up here in the summer), I relax and,if possible,get my head down and ride in the drops. Of course sidewinds are a different story. Them guys are just plain nasty!
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby
    maybe what THEY are calling a hill isn't what WE call hills?
    This is very funny! As I said - deifinitely not Alps. But they are hills, all right.
    Actually, wind is nobody friend unless it is a tail wind. And if you are small yourself, the feeling of being pushed around is not very pleasant.

ya.... as much as i hate headwinds... i REALLY hate side winds!... especially the strong gusts that we get here in the desert! i hate that feeling of being practically blown off the road!

i know i'm not fast... NEVER claimed to be! what i do have i endurance and stamina.... i like to ride... but as much as it irritates hubby... i don't "train" so i'm not getting any faster (i ride... not train).... we have a local 3 mile 6% average grade hill... and i'm lucky to maintain 9mph on it (with no headwind)