Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terry Butterfly

Angry Terry Butterfly

To disable ads, please log-in.

Terry butterfly, felt like I had a 2X4 between my legs. The bike shop worked and worked to make sure it was right. But it was still miserable.
    Kathi

worst saddles

I am a fairly new rider and I've got the Terry Butterfly seat that came with my Terry bike. I find I have to tilt it down one notch to keep from getting numb, but other than that once I set the seat height, etc. properly, I didn't have any more trouble. I also move my butt around every so often to give my body a change of pace. I'm going to try the new butterfly gel seat to see if that gives more comfort in the crotch area, as I am still getting used to riding longer distances, and sometimes feel a little "bruised" in sensitive anatomy from being on a firm seat, but have heard seats with gel in them can cause problems from compression. So a seat with gel inserts may not be the answer either. More time training in the saddle probably is.

Most bike shops give excellent service, and it sounds as though yours has tried very hard to please you, but sometimes you have to experiment a little bit by yourself (make one small change at a time) because our bodies do not always follow a standard "norm" that shops go by.Books, bike shops, etc. only give a starting point to work from. Your body will tell you what you need, but again, only one small change at a time. Try adjusting your seat yourself bit by bit and see if that helps.

It may also be that the Butterfly just will not work for you. Talk to the folks at Terry. They are wonderful people and will most likely be able to suggest a different saddle for you to try. They have excellent cusrtomer service, and a good money back satisfaction guarantee.

worst saddles

Hi Kathi, it's me again. I forgot to mention that it is also important to invest in the best biking shorts you can afford. Buy something that has a women's specific chamois in it, and one that will wick moisture away. Go to teamestrogen.com, and also terrybicycles.com and check out what they have. Team Estrogen has a technical description on several different chamois and their characteristics.

Terry makes an excellent bike short, as does Shebeest. Shebeest brand's chamois wicks moisture away really well, if that is also a concern of yours.

Lightbulb shorts tip

Daisey, just wanted to say a quick thank you for the shorts tip. I've been out of cycling for about ten years, desperately fighting time issues to get back into it, and looking at what's available for women now, the dilemma was "ok now who has the best ones?". You may have answered that - thanks.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

BikeMomma - Loved your signature line!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    BikeMomma - Loved your signature line!

Thanks, Corsair! (sorry I'm only just now responding) Truth is, I've never met a grouchy one! At one time or another, they always flash a smile!

I like your handle as well. When I was a kid, my older brothers were really into airplanes - they even conducted tours, as teenagers themselves, at the Castle Air Museum here in Atwater. They would quiz each other, then quiz me as well, so that's how I sortof got drawn into appreciating WWII history. I think the Corsair was/is my favorite WWII fighter plane, maybe just because of its distinctive shape and service record. Awesome piece of machinery. If you ever make over here to Atwater, a visit to the Museum is a must. There's just about every plane from every era imaginable. Even an SR71 Nighthawk. Way cool...

Have a great day (lousy weather tho )
    - Kim
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi
    Terry butterfly, felt like I had a 2X4 between my legs. The bike shop worked and worked to make sure it was right. But it was still miserable.
    Kathi
    It's so interesting how different we all are. I have Terry Butterflies on my three road bikes and love them. Have ridden several centuries and a self-supported tour averaging 65 miles per day on them. I tried a Terry Damselfly at one point b/c I thought it was sexy, and 2x4 was exactly how I described it. I gave it a fighting chance but ended up selling it.

Good lucky finding a saddle that works for you! A lot of women seem to like Serfas.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

i'm in the process of trying a terry butterfly. put it on the bike saturday.. YUCK! hubby moved it forward and tilted it down a few times during our ride...

it was getting there...

sunday we started out and i still wasn't happy... so we stopped for him to move it forward and tilt it down a bit more... i finished the ride and think we may have it!

i was riding on the dolce seat that came with my bike... and the butterfly looks a lot like it (size-wise) but maybe a tad bit less squishy....

we'll see after i get on it this week (if the rain stops) or this weekend!

ugh... no... we don't have it on the butterfly i'm not giving up yet... but i'm getting there.

i didn't ride all week... (no motivation and rain).. so saturday i get on the bike and after 25 miles i'm miserable (i wasn't comfortable the first 25.. but after 25 it was awful! i did manage to get in 40 miles though.. but a LOT of shifting, standing, moving around...

so sunday hubby and i start out... stil not comfortable.. so he does some adjusting after about 5 miles... i ride a while.. and it's still not good... i had to stop after 30 miles.. i just didn't want to deal with the uncomforatbleness (ya.. not a word) anymore! i don't know what to tell him to do to adjust it.. so i just tell him where it hurts/annoys me... i try moving back on the seat.. no relief.. forward.. nope... UGH!

i can't believe the stock dolce is more comfortable than a butterfly!

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl
    ugh... no... we don't have it on the butterfly i'm not giving up yet... but i'm getting there...

i can't believe the stock dolce is more comfortable than a butterfly!
    Caligurl -
    Wow - I have to hand it to you. I can't believe you've actually managed 2 rides on that very uncomfortable saddle. I tried the Terry Butterfly many years ago. It lasted on my bike all of 15 minutes - I couldn't stand it. I realize that we're all different and the saddle that works for me might not work for you, and as Emily said the butterfly works for her! Just in case... the saddle that finally worked for me (the 4th saddle I tried, if you can believe that!) is the Fi'zi:k Vitesse, which is listed on their web site as a unisex saddle. Go figure! Anyway, it might be worth a try.

Good luck - and hopefully the next one you try will be the right saddle for you.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

hi denise.. it's actually been 4 rides! i rode with it last weekend too! this weekend it just seemed a lot worse than last!

thanx for the tip on the fi'zi:k.. ya know.. hubby just got a new fi'zi:k (arionne or something like that i think.. very sexy looking saddle!) he fell it love with it the first ride!

i'm gonna check out the one you recommended on their site right now!

worst case is i'll have to get another specialized dolce!
    Last edited by caligurl; 02-28-2005 at 07:43 AM.

I'm glad I'm not alone.
    I've tried Terry saddles (both the butterfly and the men's fly) and I , uhm, fall into them (yeah, I know way, way TMI).

I've decided I'm just not a cut-out kinda gal!

Put me down as yet another happy Fizik user.

Fizik Vitesse

I think sometimes riders decide that padding is the main comfort factor. The Fizik Vitesse goes the other way--very minimalist. Smooth, narrow and just enough padding for the sitz bones. It's great for the rider who balances weight between hands, feet and butt. Nothing rubs, no cutouts with tough edges. It's the best once you decide you don't need a pillow wedged between your legs.

I've never had a Terry seat, but when I was doing my original research on seats after I concluded that the one that came with my bike was just not right, there were many comments about the lack of quality control on the Terry seats. Comments about the varying thickness of padding and the variance between the different sides of the saddle. After reading all the comments, and knowing how a mm can make a difference in comfort on a bike, I wonder if quality control might be at the root of some of the problems people are experiencing.

butterfly dies, fizik lives!

To throw my two cents in--I once had a Terry Liberator racing saddle years and years ago that I liked (though I sold it with the bike), then stopped riding for a few years, got back to the riding my other road bike, with another Terry Liberator saddle--had the cut-out, but didn't like it. Then I tried the Terry Butterfly racing version. I had been commuting 17 miles each way to work, a few times week, and after a few days using this saddle and icing my tender bits when I'd get home , I had to find something else. (And I have great PI shorts and tried different positions). After some research, I invested in the Fizik Alliente--though it's the men's version, I absolutely love it! It's so much easier to sit back on the bones w/ the flex wing design, I am able to keep the pressure off the sensitive bits that the Terry cut-outs only seemed to aggravate! Bellisimo!

whoops--wrong model! Fizik Arione

Just for the record: it's the Fizik Arione that I own and love--w/ the flex "wings"--not the Alliente...