Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT - don't cut your fig tree

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't know how many of you have experience with fig trees or will have the need to cut them down.

My warning to you is to be very careful and cover your body with as much clothing as possible. Mr. Fish cut down our fig tree this weekend is has now broken out in nasty blisters - like poison ivy squared. It doesn't itch, but burns. He went to the doctor today to get a shot - dexamethasone. He's not reacting well to it - talking really fast and jittery. I react terribly to everything, but amazingly didn't this time. Good thing, because dexamethasone just about kills me.

Fig trees are one of those things that people tell you about after you cut it. You know... like... "oh yeah, I break out in a bad rash any time I have to deal with a fig tree". So - I'm letting you know ahead of time.

Just FYI.

Have a glorious afternoon!

I loved Momma's fig preserves on buttery toast.

Oh...poor Mr. Fish!

You know...I don't think I'll ever forget this post and should my path ever cross with a fig tree, I'll be prepared!

Thanks for the information.

We have something called a flannel bush, same thing. I can't get near it or i break out. I sure hope he feels better soon.Oatmeal bath always helps me!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

My friend cut down a fig tree, had the same reaction, and was then allergic to figs ever after. Sad.

I thought Dexamethazone was what you got a shot of on Mount Everest when you were about to die. I had no idea it had any application in the real world.

nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Brandi,

Can you still wear flannel pajamas, though?

nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Thanks for the heads up fishdr! I probably would be one of those people who would be highly allergic to a cut fig tree. I hope Mr Fish feels better soon.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes for Mr. Fish. He's still pretty hyper and will probably not sleep tonight. At least we got some new books in the mail today. He thanks you, too! My daughter (age 4) says he has polka dots.

Nanci - Dexamethasone is used in the real world. I didn't know of the Mt. Everest usage. It's fairly common for combatting contact dermatitis - at least here in the MS Delta region. That's not to say it's common anywhere else. Our medical care here is...not the best. I got a shot of dexamethasone from a dermatologist when I went in to figure out why I react to pretty much everything that comes in contact with my skin. Turned out to be detergents, latex, most plants (minor irritation usually), carpet, and physical pressure and other things. Of course, I wasn't reacting to anything at the time, but he gave me the shot anyway. Lousy doctor. Now Allegra seems to fix most of the reactions and is probably why I didn't react to the fig. You would have loved the docs "entourage" of pretty little 20 somethings following him around. It was just gross. I think he had little man syndrome. Anyway - I digress - if you have the unfortunate occasion to have a major bout of contact dermatitis and the doc recommends dexamethasone, see if they have another option. It makes you feel like you're buzzing inside and are really really hyper. My heartrate stayed elevated for almost 24 hours and I made 7 trips to the bathroom in one night. Not good.

I will not go near a fig tree. When I was little my six brothers would throw overly ripe figs at me. I can smell a fig tree a block away.

I do however love fig newtons and carry them with me on rides. Better than power bars.

We have a fig tree that I am going to trim up in the next school hols - about 4 weeks away
    A timely post
    Thank you

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Some plants - I believe that figs are in this group, have sap that contains a lot of natural latex - so if you've got a latex allergy you probably should stay away from the sap and the unripe fruit - conversly if you've had a bad reaction to the figs it might be a good idea to be careful around latex rubber gloves, balloons, poinsettias, (all of these were banned from certain wards of the hospital I used to work at) etc.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

yep, there are many, many plants that are poisonous and should be dealt with cautiously... unfortunately most people never realize how many until they have something like this happen..

Besides cycling I am an avid gardener. I always wear gloves, long pants, and sturdy shoes when pruning anything... and of course, besides the saps there are also spiders to worry about...

sorry he got sick and is having a bad reaction the med to help him recover too... hope he's better soon... and thanks for the heads up on this!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Quote Originally Posted by Eden
    Some plants - I believe that figs are in this group, have sap that contains a lot of natural latex - so if you've got a latex allergy you probably should stay away from the sap and the unripe fruit - conversly if you've had a bad reaction to the figs it might be a good idea to be careful around latex rubber gloves, balloons, poinsettias, (all of these were banned from certain wards of the hospital I used to work at) etc.
    yes it is latex. best time to trim figs is in the winter when they are dormant. I would never prune them this time of year, you'd be sacrificing FIGS!!

and they are truly delicious. Fig newtons are only a shade of what a fig really is.

We knew about the latex issues - which is why I was being extra careful. The Allegra that I take must have helped. Latex is banned from my lab and most other labs at work, because of me. Mr. Fish isn't allergic to anything except for epoxy resin....until now. Mosquitos don't even bother him or poison ivy or anything that bothers most people. Crazy stuff!

We had our best intensions to get rid of the tree over winter, but they were just good intentions. He was using the chainsaw to cut it down to a stump. I think that had something to do with his reacting so badly. Whether it heated up the sap or just vaporized it, I don't know. He's over the jitters now and is super sleepy. Good thing the kids are taking a nap right now. I'm heading home early to help out.