Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

3 Days, 2 Bikes, 6 Flats

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all, I've lurked for too long...and would appreciate your imput...
    I have a 2005 Allez Elite with 300 miles on it, stock Mondo tires.
    My Hub and I ride 40-50 miles per ride.
    We got the usual puncture, slow leak on 4 of the flats...so yesterday inflated the tubes to 124 on the back, 114 on the front (bike tire says 115-125 max).
    I get 3 miles into the ride..and kaboom...my back tire explodes off the rim.looks like a pinch with a slash in the tube near the value....so pull over and fix..get back on the bike, peddle 500 feet and the front tire explodes off the rim..I am ready to cry...was so angry..that made hub cycle home and get the car because I refuse to waste another CO2 cartridge on these tires.

(Rochester, NY roads = tons of glass, broken bottles, shards of rocks...300 miles and i have 1/4" cuts in tires)

So my question is "why"?? Are they over inflated?

Have ordered 4 gatorskins for Hub and I.

My other query...I was chased by my first dog..as I screamed "NO" and "GO HOME" I realized I dont speak dog, as he kept chasing..what else could I scream??

The only ray of light from the flat situation is that 300 miles later on clipless pedals my brain screams "UNCLIP" at any sign of danger.

I really enjoy reading this forum, and better go donate my cycling miles to TE over on the bikejournal now. Big Thanks

Had the tires just been remounted on the rims before the blowouts? Sometimes the bead doesn't seat right when you put the tire on, and then it will blow. When you mount a tire, inflate to 30-50 psi and then check the bead all around on both sides to see that it is seated. If there is a high spot, let out some air and seat it properly. If a low spot, try letting out air to reseat. If that doesn't work, put some liquid soap on that part of the bead when you inflate. Only when you are sure that the bead is seated should you inflate to full pressure. If the tires had been on the rim for awhile and just now exploded, then I don't have a clue what to tell you. But trying a different tire is probably a good step. Also watch for temperature changes - don't inflate to max pressure when it's 30 degrees and ride when it's 80. We had a thread on that awhile back. Sorry for your frustrating ride. Hope your luck changes.

Deb's advice is probably all that you need...

But there are two articles on flats that might be worth a read.

The first is on the TE site at http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp.

Another is on Sheldon Brown's site at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Thanks Deb and Denise,
    The front tire had a flat the previous day which we patched and rode 40 miles on it, got up the next day and inflated to 114psi. Thinking back I did make a sharp left turn before the kaboom, so maybe the tube was pinched at that angle. New gaterskins arrive twrrw.

Nice links with great pictures...you must have to have super strong nimble fingers to get that tire on w/o levers!
    happy riding!

Quote Originally Posted by lette
    Nice links with great pictures...you must have to have super strong nimble fingers to get that tire on w/o levers!
    happy riding!
    Well, I know that I can't get tires on without levers! But I thought the article was interesting anyway...
    --- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Now I'm wondering what it could possibly mean when the tire says "115-125 max". Does that mean that the max pressure you should use could be 115 or 125? So maybe it's within specs if a tire blows out with 124 psi? Crazy way to label a tire. Don't feel like you need to inflate a tire to it's max. It may roll better and handle better for you at a lower pressure, plus it will probably last longer. If you're getting pinch flats, the pressure is too low (or the potholes too deep). If you're getting blowouts or frequent punctures, the pressure is too high. Another tip (which you probably don't need) is to always make sure that the valve stem is straight and fully inserted into the rim. Regarding installing tires without tools, it takes strong fingers to start the job, and sore thumbs to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by lette
    :
    My other query...I was chased by my first dog..as I screamed "NO" and "GO HOME" I realized I dont speak dog, as he kept chasing..what else could I scream??
    I used to yell those very same words at chasing dogs...... and rarely did the dog pay any attention to me. The a good friend taught me to yell, very sternly and calmly, "Stay!" Now I am not any kind of an expert on dog psychology or behavior. I've always been terrified of being chased by dogs while biking. (And don't they just sense that....) But so far, this has really worked. It seems to make the dog stop and think at least long enough for me to make my escape.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Friend of mine has a brake that squeaks and at least for some dogs on his adventures, that sound makes them stop cold.

I try a "stern teacher" voice first, but that doesn't always work... unless the dog's been trained, it isn't thinking like my middle school students. SO I'll advance to the kind of voice used when the cat is on the table with his face in the dinner, and I've had better luck with it.

Lette,

I have the same bike and the same tyres as you.
    To be honest, I never inflate my tyres to within the recommended 115-125.
    I find that inflating them to around 100psi is ample - they're still super hard and above that feels like the tyre will pop.
    As has been said, it sounds like a seating problem - or possibly the tubes being pinched against the sidewall when being refitted.

The mondos give really good p*ncture protection, although I see you've now ordered the Gators, (which are excellent too, SO uses them).
    Hopefully that's your quota for the year though!
    SO was boasting about being p*ncture-free so far this year - and yes, the kiss of death was planted - two so far this week!
    It would have been funny, had I not been the one who ended up fixing them!
    Life is Good!

Thanks everyone!
    Gaterskins going on today, (with levers) and hopefully this will help.

Water works

Squirt a bit of water at pesky dogs. Sounds odd but it has worked for me every time. They seem shocked and back off.

Thumbs up

I carry dog biscuits. I slow way down and hold them out to see and then gently toss in their direction. It helps and then they think your freindly on the next time through.

Just want to point out that I am the one who uses Gators and boasted about having no p*nctures....then had 2 in same week!
    Just to clarify this - it was on my commuting bike and therefore NOT repeat NOT the Gators, They remain P*ncture resistant to this day.

I will keep yopu informed.

I worry about how dogs think. If my doofus got it into his head to chase a bike, and then got a biscuit out of the deal, a lightbulb would go off in his little mind:

"Hey, if I chase and bark and snap at these bikes, I get COOKIES!! Therefore i shall chase and bark and bite at EVERY SINGLE ONE I SEE! Cool beans!"

My dog is a very linear thinker. He would never make the deduction that: "bikes a nice and friendly, they give me cookies, therefore I shouldn't chase them."
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson