Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Many qu's

Hybrid View

Many qu's

Hey mtb chicks,

No matter how much i love riding off road, i have a few confidence issues...

One is log rollovers & no clue why. Rocks, downhill, singletrack etc ok but log rollovers are still slowing me down. I know how to get over them however i am not looking ahead and over....I know speed is my friend but i know certain log overs & by the time i get to them, i'm out of ooomph...

What suggestions do ya have? Anyone in the same position?

One more thing, have you found your on road riding has helped your off road riding at all?

Curious Crazy canuck...

c

What exactly do you mean by a log over? Hopping over a log that has fallen on the trail, or riding along a log that crosses a ditch or something? Not that I can actually help you - I suck at both.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

largish logs

Ah...I'm referring to logs placed(by the trailmaker)in the middle of the trail that you ride over..They seem to pop up when i''m not paying attention..

c

If it's about as high as a curb, I pretend it is a curb. If it's higher, I freak out, get stuck and have to get off and lift the bike over. It's something I'm working on.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

logs....

Well,
    I can get over about.....95% of them. Here is what I do, and how I learned how to do it.
    First of all, I am not bunnyhopping over. Can't, and don't know that I will ever on my current bike or at my current level. That being said.

When I approach, I shift my weight back and down, to get the weight off the front tire. Then pull up on the handle bars to get the fron wheel up. Then shift your weight forward and pedal. You have to keep spinning otherwise you will stop on top of the log. And speed is not always your friend. Too fast and you will bounce, too slow, you will ooomph out.

Two things that have helped me:
    1. riding behind better rides, and just doing what they do. If I am riding hard, and not thinking about it too much, I just go...

2. My husband will actually get off his bike and spot me so I can practice with out wiping out. i just do the log, over and over until I get it.
    No guy handy, anyone can spot you. Just have them stand on or by the log and grab you so that you don't crash or endo.

I am a small body on a heavy bike, so what works for others does not work for me. i had to find my own way to do logs. It ain't always pretty, but it gets the job done. And at this point...that works just fine......

Ruth

I am a chicken, I get off and lift my bike over. I also think riding on the road has given me more confidence when riding the trails.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!