Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Anyone use speedplay frogs on their mtb?

My mtb came with Shimano m520 pedals, which were my first experience with clipless. Definitely took a few spills cause I had a hard time clipping my left foot out in time, if at all. I have it all set on the lowest tension possible. 10 years ago I tore my knee, more specifically my MCL. No surgery was ever done and it's about 20 percent untorn. I'm guessing that ligament has something to do with strength in turning one's knee because I can easily get out of the right pedal.

I've since put speedplay frogs on my road bike and love them!! So easy to get in and out of, even during a fall, in fact has saved me from some falls. I was really thinking about putting speedplay frogs on my mtb as well. However, on a recent outing on my road bike over some bumpy road downhill, I felt one of my feet unclip... which is not something I'd want to happen off road. I'm not sure if it was my clumsiness or what, but now it has me rethinking what clipless pedal to put on the mtb.

Does or has anyone used frogs on their mtb? Do they work ok in mud, etc and over bumpy terrain? Anyone with similar knee issues prefer a different pedal from Shimano or frogs on their mtb? I saw a review on mtbr about pedals some people thought were kind to their knees but they had concerns about smaller lighter riders getting in and out of. I'm 5'1 and less than 100 lbs and not sure if that adds to my clipping out issue. I was thinking of trying multi directional release cleats for the Shimanos but seems like that could be dangerous for mountain biking.

Hi! I recently put frogs on my mountain bike. I had Shimano SPDs before and had some trouble this winter with them getting clogged up with snow and frozen mud. So I decided to try the Frogs. I find that they are very easy to clip out, but I have not quite gotten used to the feel of them clipping in.They don't have that same unmistakable "ker-chunk" that the SPDs do. There have been some times when I've had trouble getting started up a hill or thought that I was in and came unclipped while climbing over rough stuff.

If you have been using them on your road bike, though, I would imagine you are more familiar with how they feel. I'm still not sure if they are right for me. I do like how quick they are to release when I want to get out quick...I still end up falling over, though

Linda

Thanks wavedancer! I agree the frogs definitely don't have that reassuring clipped in sound the SPDs make. While I absolutely love them on my road bike, I'm not sure if I'll like them as much on my mtb either... I guess the search continues.