Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The "Terrible One"

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday, Mike and I led a Death Ride training ride on the second half of the Terrible Two course. We'd driven part of the ride before, and I knew that part had a wall on it that was so long and steep I laughed deliriously in the car and hoped the AWD Subaru could make it up. Well, turned out that wasn't the hardest part of the ride.

We rode from Wohler bridge near Gurneville up through a ghastly headwind to Lake Sonoma. I decided I needed to pull the 15 miles because I have heard there are brutal winds at my next double this Saturday. Then the fun began. Skaggs Springs-Stewart's Point Road to highway 1 is 35 miles of climbs and descents and a very brief welcome spell riding along a river. The "wall" is about 1.5 - 2 miles of 13 - 18%. I am not kidding. No break atr all. Crazy stuff. I actually made it up.

There were a lot of people out training on this road - they didn't look like doubles riders. Most looked like racers.

My friend Stacy had a bobcat run alongside her for a while on this road. Amazing. After the final "wall" on Skaggs, there is a scary descent with concealed cattle guards and some more climbing and then we were onhighway 1 for about 15 miles of rollers. That part was fun because I like rollers, but the goal of this ride was tobolster the confidence of one of the women I am coaching for Death Ride, so Stacy and I stuck with her and we all had a fun ride down 1. I have tryul never seen the cean that blue. This was a gorgeous ride and a beautiful day.

After highway 1, we turned onto Fort Ross Road. Wow. A wall even longer and steeper than the one on Skaggs. It was at least 2 miles, and there was no way I could make it up without putting a foot down at one point. After that, a beautiful ridge, a harrowing descent, and a couple more super steep climbs.

This was an amazing ride. We were so lucky to have great SAG support - I am not sure how you'd do the ride unsupported unless you have a camelback. We had great weather, and everyone was so happy to have finished. I think completing this ride really bolstered my coach-ee's confidence that she can complete the Death Ride. Stacy and I told her over and over with complete truthfullness - there is no climb on the Death Ride as hard as those "walls".

So in the middle of the first wall, I told Stacy "If I ever talk about doing the Terrible Two, slap me." The TT goes over 100 miles of some really tough riding before it even hits the part we rode. Then later, she and I decided the TT might be possible. She said she'd talked to some guys at Knoxville who said, you just walk up some of it and you don't care. You just get through it.

Total ride distance was 107 miles. 10,800 feet of climbing. Almost 9 hours ride time (woof!). I'd do it again.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Well I'd say you earned that pizza last night ! Brava.

My friend Stacy had a bobcat run alongside her for a while on this road.
    I hope the bobcat wasn't thinking "mmm, lunch".

Amazing story.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Have a cheeseburger! Go wild, have a glass of water or ice tea even
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

We rode from Wohler bridge near Gurneville up through a ghastly headwind to Lake Sonoma. I decided I needed to pull the 15 miles because I have heard there are brutal winds at my next double this Saturday. Then the fun began. Skaggs Springs-Stewart's Point Road to highway 1 is 35 miles of climbs and descents and a very brief welcome spell riding along a river. The "wall" is about 1.5 - 2 miles of 13 - 18%. I am not kidding. No break atr all. Crazy stuff. I actually made it up
    That's amazing... That Skaggs Springs-Stewart's Point Rd is insane - and that's just my memory from driving it! And a bobcat. And the Ft. Ross Rd. Wow. Go ahead, have two cheeseburgers!
    Keep calm and carry on...

I wish I could have ridden with you! It sounds like "fun"!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    I wish I could have ridden with you! It sounds like "fun"!

V.
    Told you! Well, come along on our 120 miler. It will be less "fun", but still amusing.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Wow Sarah!

What a great ride! Of course, its way beyond my capabilities right now but I love to read about your adventures!

Great job!

Tracy

Oh Death Ride girls....

This is our ride for Saturday....

Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

oh you are so lucky to have seen a bobcat! the only ones i have ever seen were in zoos.

I am amazed at the riding you guys are doing. And death ride. (shudder)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    This is our ride for Saturday....

Oh dear.
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Lee & I will have tube socks to give out at our SAG stop. You can fill them up with ice and use them to to beat off the bobcats.

hee hee hee

Mel, dachshund and I saw a bobcat when we were on a ride a few months ago, right after we saw a bald eagle take off from its nest.

Yeah we live in a sucky place.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Lee & I will have tube socks to give out at our SAG stop. You can fill them up with ice and use them to to beat off the bobcats.

hee hee hee
    This reminds me -- I have your AV buff that I borrowed from your SAG stop at the top of Sierra. It's been laundered and everything!

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Mel, dachshund and I saw a bobcat when we were on a ride a few months ago, right after we saw a bald eagle take off from its nest.

Yeah we live in a sucky place.
    Yeah, we were talking about that on Saturday, when we were hanging out by the Eagle's Nest. I'm not sure if it was Kim or Dachshund that said, "Isn't this where Jo saw the bobcat?" Alas, no bobcats were sighted on Saturday, but we did see a flock of wild turkeys ambling about down by the water. Sometimes it seems like Wild Kingdom out there.
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

We were there yesterday (on motos). Saw the nest but no eagle. Lots of turkeys, though. And Mike ran over a huge snake on Mines. He just couldn't avoid it. The snake was slithering happily off the road by the time I got there so I hope the 400 lb moto didn't end its days of slithering.

Saturday's ride is really one of my favorites and I am happy to be able to share it with you all!
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    Saturday's ride is really one of my favorites and I am happy to be able to share it with you all!
    And Lee is going to take me to his all-time favorite ice cream place - Flavors Unlimited in Guerneville.
    (OK, I'll fess up, that's the main reason why we're going up there this weekend. )

We'll see how it stacks up against the original Steve's.
    Folks who lived in the Boston/Somerville area in the 70's-80's will know of what I speak.
    Last edited by jobob; 05-26-2009 at 08:57 PM.