Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Hate my handlebars

The handlebars on my road bike make me crazy, I'm not sure why. I have really broad shoulders for a woman, and the place where the brake hoods are seems wrong, too far down, my wrists are complaining. I've had it looked at, the fit is textbook but I feel like sliding the brakes up just a schooch would be better, it would change my wrist angle. The problem is that would make me have to reach way far in the drops. This is an older bike with classic "rams horn" bars. I changed the stem, and I'm wondering if the weird shaped ergonomic bars might work better? Even though every thing is where it should be at least theoreticly, I can't get relaxed and right on the hoods.
    It could be an upper body strength problem, but this is my third bike with these same type bars and they've always bugged me over the course of twenty years, even when I'm super fit and going a lot of distance.

Any thoughts?

Lizzy

I have weirdly shaped ergonomic bars, in a 42 I think (I must look like a linebacker). They're more comfortable in the drops, but the brakes are a little harder to reach... I have to really jam my hand into a little indentation in the bar to get good brake action on serious downhills. My bike shop wasn't very sympathetic and I've learned to live with it, but I know you've got a better relationship with the boys at your LBS, so they can probably help. But back to the ergonomic bar, if you spend any time in the drops it does give you multiple hand positions, so they are more comfortable.