Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Nice folks - why I love Rivendell

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ever since I toasted my front derailleur, I've been having shifting problems. I rode all of the Davis Double unable to get into my big ring. Towards the end, I had to work to keep the derailleur on the middle ring. Thom and I were both totally frustrated because we couldn't find anything wrong.

We decided after the Diablo ride we would stop at Rivendell and just buy another shifter. I was happy to see bikes outside when we pulled up, I was afraid it being a holiday weekend that they would be closed, And in fact they were closed. Grant, the owner and a bike buddy of his were just having lunch after having just ridden up to the Junction from the north gate.

But Grant is such a nice person, he asked what we needed and I described what had been happening with my bike. And he knew right away what was wrong - the cable was too tight. I felt so stupid that I hadn't even considered that. And he even tried to make me feel better about that. I'm not a bike mechanic after all. So, he loosened the cable and gave me a new cable since mine was beginning to fray. He also explained what the tension should look it.

It's almost all better. I can now shift through all three rings, but it still slips when I stand. Now, I have a better understanding though of my bike, which is really important to me, since I am often by myself in the middle of nowhere.

We had a great chat about the different rides I've been doing and apparently we were noticed on the mountain yesterday. My Internet access went kaplooie yesterday - cable guy was just here. We've got a few pics to post. I'm being dragged off to do more yard work...I did have a burger for lunch. Love that new grill.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    apparently we were noticed on the mountain yesterday.
    Dare I ask how?

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Grant's friend, whose name I should know, said that people at the Junction were talking about the large group of riders some of whom had Rivendells. It didn't seem like a bad noticing. Although I'm curious about SK and the jersey.

V.

TandemHearts.com

alas, that particular story has no photographic evidence to back it up

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Will someone pleeeeeeeeease tell the story! We're all on tenterhooks out here!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Riv will be open Monday. I'm trying to figure out how I can justify getting Rich at Riv to make me a new set of wheels. The Ksyriums aren't appropriate for the loaded touring I'll be doing with Cindy. The economical thing to do is just to trade wheels and chains with Thom. But, his wheels need some work too. And I love the stiffness of the Ksyriums, but I don't love how they feel in a cross wind. And his wheels, my old ones, feel mushy.

And how I can justify the Giles Berthold panniers. Yes, I have perfectly suitable panniers from the touring we did years ago... but the Giles Berthold ones are gorgeous. And they would match my handlebar bag.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    And they would match my handlebar bag.
    V.
    Well, there's your justification right there!

Heh. It's good to be a girl.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Mz. V---you are the one who got this banana bag thing started so I think you need to treat yourself to the panniers. What the heck, the new wheels, too. haha. Maybe they will give you a price break since you are so good for their business. I'll probably be ordering that small seat bag your recommended from them later today.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Hey that's great you got the bike working better!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick
    Mz. V---you are the one who got this banana bag thing started so I think you need to treat yourself to the panniers. What the heck, the new wheels, too. haha. Maybe they will give you a price break since you are so good for their business. I'll probably be ordering that small seat bag your recommended from them later today.

Well at our planning dinner last night, Cindy and her honey Andrew convinced me to go with a trailer. So now I don't need to buy anything. I do still want to look into new wheels though. I love the Ksyriums when there is no wind, but when there is a strong cross wind, they are super twitchy. On our Diablo ride I was actually thinking it's a good thing I'm not a little person because iI might have toppled right over.

V.

TandemHearts.com

I can recommend a good builder.

My low profile Ritchey with bladed spokes are noticeably twitchier in winds than a nice traditional square rim. I was just telling Bubba that I might want a new pair of wheels for Magpie (the Kelly) for Xmas. One to get rid of the side winds issues and secondly, to make Magpie more serviceable on road trips. Magpie is the bike I take to the boondocks, when I have no idea what the terrain will be like. I'd like wheels that could be repaired easily, install a new spoke, a bit of truing, and, voilą, you're back on the road. Factory wheels aren't so easy and damage could ruin a trip.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.