Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A TE Wish

A TE Wish

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wish...there was a mtb forum on TE! I enjoy all you roadies, really, but as I am spending more time off road it would be fun to compare notes.

I showed up yesterday to a ride posted by the DirtChix, a local mtb'er group I found on line. The first gal to show up had an inch wide row of stitches on one of her badly-scarred knees. "Oh no..." I groaned, "I am WAAAY over my head!" The other three ladies arrived, all with their wonderful aluminum and carbon full suspension bikes. Here I am on my old chro-moly hardtail. They were sooo happy to meet me. Scar-knee mounted her bike and promptly fell over because she just got new pedals and they were clipped too tightly. I felt better immediately.

We road 3.5 miles up a gradual canyon, three creek crossings. I've done that ride before. Then we started climbing seriously. All of us except for "Joy" walked quite a bit. I just plain ran out of gears with just a 30 in the back cassette. Not to mention my HR bordering 190. One gal (a nurse) stuck with me the whole way. Up up up, down a quick bit, and up some more for a mile and a half. Everyone stopped and regrouped to breathe several times. As difficult as it was, I was able to keep up.

We got to the turn off and had a crazy technical single track descent. Literally a trail carved out of a cliff in spots. I walked down the rockiest and loose areas. At one point I tried to change direction and my bike slid out from under me. My capris saved my thigh, got some scratches on the calf. A DirtChix baptism.

These women were great! Encouraging, fun, inspiring. I know there are probably more just like them on this forum. Lurking in the shadows of the dark side. And not ashamed to ride ten miles in three hours...
    So who are you?

Oh, I believe there are a lot of dirt girls here. Just wait, they'll come out. Sounds like you had an excellent time!

you gotta point, we have a tri section, other sports section, where's the MTB section. We could start a seperate thread and....admin? A little help?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

We're here, just quietly converting folks to the dirty side.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

dirt is good

Hey, a mtb area on the board would be great.

I often read you ladies posts about road riding and think... .... I understand hardatil, dually, hydraulic disc brakes, switchbacks & pea gravel.....

MOre dirt stuff would be great...we need more chickies on the OTHER side....

Crazy " on the OTHER side "canuck

c

My signature isn't down there without reason... Heck, even when my bike's sparkling clean it's probably dirtier than most people's road bikes have ever been.
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 05-28-2006 at 07:51 AM.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Amen to that

I agree, I would love a mt bike forum here. I lurk about and post every now and then about general stuff, but I would love to chat with the other...sorry. gotta say it.....
    "Dirty Girls"

How do we go about this.....

Ruth

Yesterday's ride

So now that we are chatting I want to post about my ride yesterday. My hubby, and best biking buddy got his bike back after three weeks in the shop. So off we went to our usual ride spot. He was a bit concerned about having lost his edge and some biking fitness. (ha ha ha) I was leading, and for about the first hour he mellowly followed while I pushed as hard as I could. And then, deciding that he felt pretty good after all, zooooooommmmm. Off he went.
    It was great to have him back. He spotted me on a couple of obstacles that I have been working on, and really pushed me to ride hard.

And I sucked him in to signing up for a 12 hour race that I am doing next week. Loss of fitness my butt.
    Tomorrow we are going out with three other guys, so I will spend a couple of hours eating dust and chasing the last guys wheel...

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruth

Yeah Ruth, I have been working on fitness for the last couple months. My biking craze and the gas prices inspired my husband to start commuting-- a short four miles to work.

I took him up a trail last Saturday thinking I could whip his hiney. Wrong! He rode up that canyon without hardly breaking a sweat as I huffed and puffed my way along. Doesn't seem fair!

I'M A DIRTY GIRL!!! Sorry got excited! I am an all for having a little section for us. My bike is a giant xtc, I ride both dirt and road. I have road tires on it right now with knobby's on the side of the tires in case i want to go off road a bit. I don't have any injury's yet. My dh gets enough for the both of us (still nursing a dislocated fingure from 3 weeks ago after going over handle bars).
    This site has been great for all kinds of info. I started coming here cause I am going on my first big bike trip this year. Doing fire roads up in colorado to Utah. Had a lot of ? and have got a lot of great answers here. Who could we talk to to get a seperate sec?
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

I'm another dirt girl here. Haven't spent as much time on the dirt as I was, but I love jumping between the trails and the road when I'm training. It is just so relaxing to me, and the best way to go for a ride with friends and is how I got introduced to biking!

Dirt Angel reporting in (that's what my jersey says ).
    I think that would be a great addition to this board. I've lurked on other mtb forums but they seem either very hard core or too much testosterone. How about it admin?

I did my firt 6 hour solo mtb race yesterday. Off to post my ride report....
    Dar

I must say I'm not all MTB girl but I just came back from a race called Willed Sljeme (Sljeme is the name of the mountain near me) where I had so much fun. Although I prefer my road bike, from time to time it's quite refreshing to get all dirty and just being "wild" in the slopewise path rushing over 25 km/h downhill...
    ... I support your suggestion
    "Life is not measured with the quantity of breaths you take, but with the quantity of moments that took your breath away..."

Hope you have a newbie section for MTBikers too. I *really* need to get better at this since it's dh's favourite activity. I am so overly-cautious when I probably don't need to be and I sure would like to get over it....

Talking Mtn bike thread??

I would agree that it would be great to have another section for the dirtgirls! I too, ride in the dirt.. depends on the time of year whether I'm on my road bike or riding the dirt. Here in Maine we ride the snowmobile trails during the winter, now that is FUN!! It's amazing how one bike truly gets you excited about riding, and gets rid of the boredom or lack or excitement!