Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

christine Guest

Question Ever ride these Trek, Bianchi, Jamis, Schwinn or Terry models?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Me again. Sorry for posting so much, but I really appreciate your feedback. Per my earlier post below, I'm now looking into returning the Marin Mill Valley I bought and searching for something with a lower standover height.

Because I'm 4'10" with a 26.25" inseam (we remeasured a few more times), I've identified only 8 bikes that MIGHT have short enough top tubes and standover height for me (that I can afford). I've eliminated drop-down handlebars, comfort bikes and "step-through" frames from my search.

Please let me know if you've had a chance to ride any of these or your thoughts on the brands, etc. In addition to fit, I'm interested in how they'd perform on the roads since I'd like to keep up with my husband's Marin (if I get a mtb, i'd swap tires for slicks).

Trek 7300
    Trek 800 or 820
    Bianchi Ocelot
    Jamis Cross Country
    Schwinn Propulsion FS
    Schwinn Frontier 2.6
    Terry Susan B. (i've test-ridden, but would appreciate feedback)

Again, thank you so much!

Terry is currently selling New Old Stock bikes on line. They have a 2002 Classic in the 16 inch frame for $750. If this is within your budget, you can get more details here http://www.terrybicycles.com/Bikes/saleclass02.lasso

Trek

I had a Trek 7000 small frame and it seemed so big to me and I'm 5'4". I really didn't like the ride, the components they seemed cheesy to me.

Have you looked at Specialized? They make a really small frame for women or at least they did 4 years ago when I was looking. I know a couple of women who got Specialized bikes and really liked the fit.

Best way to decide is to test ride everything you can. Happy hunting!

Kate
    Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community."Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

Have you tried looking at the TREK's WSD. I have a 2200 WSD road 52(frame size) and I have 4849 miles on it in the past 3 1/2 years and I have had no trouble with it. The only thing that I can say bad about it is that the shift levers rattle some and I had to tape the left one to keep it from bugging me on long rides. That and tires can some times be a pain to find (wheel size 650c.) But my LBS owner trys to keep at least two on hand for me at any given time. I about died when my hubby bought it as I never dreamed of spending that much money for a bike but it has been worth every cent.
    Dea

that should read 2 1/2 not 3 1/2 years.
    Dea

Christine,

What type of Marin does your husband have? Road or MTB? If he has a road bike, it will be very difficult for you to get up to his speed on an MTB or hybrid type bike. Road bikes are built for going fast on the road. MTB's are built for actual off-road riding. Hybrids are a cross between the two, but you wouldn't want to take one on any serious off-road trails. Nor would you want to attempt to keep up with a road bike rider, unless you are in awesome shape and they are not........ Bikes are pretty specific in their use. You need to know where and how you want to ride. Then go to your local bike shop (LBS) (or shops, if you have a number to choose from) and talk to them. Tell them your needs. See what they can do for you. Good luck.
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

All,

I don't think Christine is still posting to this board. However, I discussed this back with her when she first posted (please check the date of her post - it's been several months), and she did end up buying a 16" Classic from Terry on sale. So, there's probably not a lot more need to continue her thread.

No offense meant - just didn't want to see people wasting their time!

Emily

Thanks, Emily! I will have to remember to check dates posted....... I guess I was sleeping.
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard