Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

chainring: triple vs. compact double

I'm researching getting a bike, after being away from it for several years. It was pouring rain last weekend, but I went to a LBS anyway (talking, no riding). I mentioned wanting easy climbing gears since I'll be getting in shape. He recommended a compact double chainring instead of the triple.

This makes sense to me as being less complicated. I'm wondering what the pros & cons are. (I wasn't thinking fast enough to quiz him on the spot). Does either one result in losing gears on either end of the range? I understand that there would be fewer combinations, but it seems that you'd get the same range. Would the double just give you larger jumps from one gear to the next?

Thanks in advance.
    Amy

Amy, where and how far do you plan on riding? All the way up Diablo, Hamilton, Tam? Big mountains? Long miles? Northern California (except in the Central Valley) is not easy riding.

I have triples on all my bikes. My 26 chainring x 32 cassette is really nice on those 17-22% grades. If you have healthy knees, low fat percentage, and a strong climbing ability, a compact might be fine, but I personally couldn't do it as I'm older, not so lean and have had 4 knee ops.

Have you read up on gears and used the gear calculator on www.sheldonbrown.com? You can figure out the gear inches of your current bike and then enter the gearing you're thinking about. You will understand the entire argument around doubles and triples better if you understand gear inches.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I fully intend to do hills, but I think I'll pass on "big mountains" right at first. But seriously, I really loved the longer rides and the more interesting routes have hills, no getting around it. (I used to like hills, actually... Sick, huh? Older now, we'll see.) I will have to gradually build up to anything challenging, and I want to make it as enjoyable as possible.

So the term "compact double" means "compact", in that you're not getting the granny gears? If that's true, then I have my answer. I also wondered about the geometry and ... what Susie said. Thanks!

A few months ago I bought a new bike with a compact double. Previously, I had a triple. I can say that the double does not have the range of gears that the triple has -- I was missing my lowest granny gears and certain a couple of gears at the other end of the spectrum. The most noticable difference for me was the shifting of the chain on the chainrings. The difference in going from the large chainring to the small is so big that I have to crank on the back gears before making the change, otherwise my legs are just spinning with no traction.

2 weeks ago I was hit by a truck and my bike is totalled (see the "My bike is totalled" thread in Open Topics). I am currently selecting all of the parts for my new bike build. I have decided to go back to a triple. I really miss my granny gears on the big climbs around here, but also, I miss being able to pedal on decents and hit 45+ mph (I know -- I'm really stupid and crazy that way). I just can't get my speed up with the gearing on the double. But that said, if it weren't for the crash, I would be sticking with my double.

You might want to test ride bikes with both options and see what you like. Be sure to throw some steep climbs into your rides.

Susie
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Triple, triple, triple!!!

I couldn't stand to lose gears at either end of the range. I need my granny for going up the stuff we have around here and I need something super heavy duty for powering on the flats and rollers. I don't necessarily think a compact is less "complicated" and in fact some folks report the compact don't shift as smoothly because you're jumping so many gears.

The weight gain (compact v. triple) is negligible and remedied in my case by perhaps one fewer rice krispy treat a week.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

another triple user! i seem to do a lot of climbing rides.... so i end up using my triple! the bike shop tried to talk me into a compact.. but hubby looked up the gears.. and to get the easier gears... i lost too much at the top end for descents/flats... i didn't want to compromise.. heck... i already spin out on descents with what i have! to think i'd have been spinning out even sooner with a compact? no way!

i think a LOT of the pushiness with compact for the guys is their ego.. they can't stand to think they need a triple.. so they will lose gears on their top end to get those easier gears... i don't have that ego problem... i have a triple... and i use it!

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl

i think a LOT of the pushiness with compact for the guys is their ego.. they can't stand to think they need a triple.. so they will lose gears on their top end to get those easier gears... i don't have that ego problem... i have a triple... and i use it!
    Agreed! I love a guy who's secure enough to use a triple.... (My DH and Baldino for example...)
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

OH! forgot to add.... i'm not getting any younger... and it's sure nice to be able to downshift to an easier granny gear (or as i call them... my baby gears!) and save my knees!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois
    Agreed! I love a guy who's secure enough to use a triple....
    Amen! I love my triple man
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl

And THERE in a nutshell is what a compact crank is all about!!!!!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caligurl

And THERE in a nutshell is what a compact crank is all about!!!!!
    Sorry, but beg to differ.
    Maybe there is an element of ego with some cyclists, but if you're serious about your cycling, ultimately it should be a question of the gear combinations you're comfortable with.
    It seems to work for Ivan Basso ...

"A particularly interesting product from FSA to be launched for 2006 is the K-Force MegaExo Compact chainset. CSC's Ivan Basso used an FSA SLK Compact chainset with 50X36 chainring combination in last season's Giro d'Italia and Tour De France, riding to stage wins in the Giro and a superb runner-up spot behind seven time Tour winner Lance Armstrong in France. This marks the first time a rider using a compact chainset equipped bicycle has been on the podium in a Grand Tour."
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/fsa/2006/2006.php

Obviously, Basso didn't choose the compact over a triple - but he chose a compact over a double - in the world of professional racing, this equates to the same cardinal sin - and it seems that many are now following in Basso's footsteps, rather than pointing and laughing at him.
    Life is Good!

#22 was Eric Norris who posts on the Rivendell Bike List.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    #22 was Eric Norris who posts on the Rivendell Bike List.

V.
    The Campy Only guy?!

Wow, connect the dots, Kim! This guy? Makes sense. He does live here.

Scroll near the bottom of the page.
    http://www.campyonly.com/

The Quickbeam
    http://www.campyonly.com/mypages/quickbeam.html
    Last edited by SadieKate; 05-23-2006 at 03:09 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Yep - him.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com