Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A ride a day...

A ride a day...

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I rode my bike the other day to my 3 month check up with the gastroenterologist, and I must have looked all healthy with my sweaty glow. I was running a bit late so I didn't have time to change, so I had to sit there in my bike clothes. Thankfully I had on some knickers over my bike shorts Anyway, I walked out of that appointment on less medication than when I walked in. He took me off of one med completely (it's making my hair fall out) and cut the dose of the other in half. Score!

So the moral of the story kids: a bike ride a day keeps the doctor away
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

Wa-hoo!

Congratulations, beta! I am so glad for you. Keep up the good work. Nice when it pays off like that. L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Yay! Good for you, that's awesome! Now if only I could convince my neurosurgeon to stop some of my meds...

Yay! Good for you! (and I hope your hair comes back quickly now!)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Good job Betagirl! Keep riding!!

Thumbs up

Well done, Betagirl
    That is the process: Get advice > get treatment > get well (or well-er) >get checked > adjust treatment
    All while on the bike (if not physically at least mentally eg TE forums, reading , watching tv)

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Quote Originally Posted by betagirl
    Thankfully I had on some knickers over my bike shorts
    I bet all the non-Americans on this forum are wondering why you're wearing your undies over your bike shorts.

Great news!
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

LOL. Must be a side effect of the medication

Thanks everyone. I'm so stoked to be on less drugs.

Hi Beta,
    Just curious ... which medication was making your hair fall out? Mine's pretty thin too. Could it be one I'm on too? Would it help to bike to my next GI appointment and maybe get taken off it? I biked to the pharmacy yesterday, but they refilled everything anyway.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Hey BWI, it was 6MP. I was on 75mg/100mg alternating daily dose. The other med I'm on is Humira, which he's thinking will hold its own without the 6MP. Let's hope he's correct Imuran will do the same thing with hairloss.

Sigh. Imuran is the same as Azathioprine? My GI just put me on that. Along with Asacol. But he's taking me off Budesonid soon, I think, which is what I was on before. My impression is that my hair thinning came way back when the inflammation was running rampant and I was seriously undernourished.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Yeah, he said it's either the 6mp or I'm not absorbing stuff. We're betting on the 6MP, since I'm not losing a ton of weight. I guess I'll see in a few months

Imuran = azathioprine, yes. I was on that a couple of years ago but it gave me wicked nausea. So I switched to 6MP. Wasn't as bad. I've also been on "the cort" as I call it. It's my band aid steroid when things get bad. I take it for 3-4 months about once a year. Nowhere near as bad as prednisone I hope the Imuran treats you well.

Been doin' ok on it so far. No nausea, and less cramping than when budesonid was doing the job on its own. Should be tapering off the budesonid soon. We'll see how that goes. Remembering to hydrate has also helped, as well as eating less fiber.

Bikeless, beta

You guys.

You've got all my respect for the struggle your body gives you. Glad you're both (all) biking.

L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock