Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Being sick is no fun. I understand the eagerness to get out there despite what your body is screaming at you, but you need to take care and get better. Hang in there.

sorry you're sick!

Oh, so sorry you're sick! Good on you for at least giving it a try, though. Give yourself time to rest and get better...
    "The bicycle was the first machine to redefine successfully the notion of what is feminine. The bicycle came to symbolize something very precious to women - their independence."—Sally Fox

Century

Hi Joyfulgirl
    Do the century!!!

I had not ridden much for a few years, but could always jump on a bike and do 10 or 20 miles. When I decided to get back into cycling -- a friend convinced me in March that we could be ready for a century by May and we did it! That was a few years and a few centuries ago. It is a real ego booster to have done a century!

So hang in there. I do recommend listening to your body and don't feel bad about missing a day of riding, if you are sore.

Barb
    Remember: Today is the youngest you will ever be.

Barb

Ah, you'd probably be even sicker if you hadn't gone out and gotten some sun.

100 miles on a mountainbike is somewhat ambitious (even 62 if you're thinking metric century) - but on the other hand, when I was unemployed, I made TONS of progress in riding 'cause I could go out for half an hour in the morning and then go out in the evening for an hour or so. I did my first century that October... more than ten weeks and I had already had 2 years of casual riding under my belt... so go for the goal, but even if you don't get there, you're way ahead of what last year's slothful body could handle! I know that at some point, at dawn, it wasn't my *bike* saying "please, a ride?" it was that strange new body saying "yea! it's dawn! let's ride!" and though I have always had a lot of energy, gettin gout of bed before noon went AGAINST my very nature... my poor brain didn't know what to do except go along with it!

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulGirl
    to make a long story short. it seems i have the flu. harf harf harf. i am a moron and went for a bike ride sunday morning anyway. 15 miles. felt great to get outside, the sun was shining. not the wisest decision however. i've already been scolded by friends and family. not feeling so great today. I'll be back on my bike later this week. It's no fun to have someone handing you gingerale and saying I TOLD YOU SO. i will now go write on the blackboard "I will listen to other peoples concerns about my well being" 100 times.

I gotta say though.. the bike ride was great!
    hey Joyful girl,
    good for you for going riding anyway!! it didn't kill you and i'll bet it didn't make you sicker.
    So next week add 5 more miles and see how much better it is when you feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by maggiedatongue
    I also have a mountain bike and since I spend more time on the road than anywhere else, I've changed to slick tires. Does a true road bike, or even a hybrid bike with 700 tires really make a big difference as compared to a mountain bike with 26" slicks? I"m new to this and what I have is all I've ever ridden so I don't know any better.
    it does, less rolling resistance plus--with the larger wheel base--you cover more ground w/each pedal stroke.

I am glad you are asking questions--it is how we learn! welcome to the cycling community, maggiedatongue.

joy: I am sorry to hear you are sick. keep it up, though, it gets easier. you've been given great advice about pacing yourself. I think most of us that have been riding a long time, do have slow riding days or take days off.