Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

May 19 daily ride reports, anyone?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've decided that I really am not ready for summer. It's 89F outside and horribly windy (20-25mph - stronger gusts). So, what do I do - decide to ride for the first time in a week after traveling and eating rich and yummy foods. I felt every forkful of that real buttercream frosting on the birthday cake, every crabcake, every forkful of crab imperial. Oh, did I feel it.

I only rode 10 miles because between the wind which never seemed to get behind me no matter which direction I was going, and the heat, and the sunscreen (which feels like it makes me sweat more), and the smoke billowing in from the fields - yes, the farmers for some reason like to burn their fields on the windiest of days. My face turned bright red - and still is quite red 20 minutes post ride. I'm sitting here dumping heat - after a shower.

BUT - It felt soooooooo good to be back on my bike. The new saddle still felt great and now I don't feel so much like a slug.

Hope you all are having great rides today!

Woke up and took a beautiful pre-dawn, 18-mile ride. I've never gotten up so early to go out and exercize, but it felt great! Loved the birds singing, the smells of spring, and the lack of traffic. The sun was just coming over the mountains as I headed back home.
    Current temp is 83 degrees F, so I'm glad I got out early!

Fish - glad the new saddle is working out for you!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Well... its the 20th here in Middle Earth... and I'm preparing for a club road race today - Its got a long nasty hill climb, which I know I can do, but not at speed... however I am one of the heaviest in the grade, and one of the stronger on the flat, so I hope to get to the top, begin catch up and recover on the way down and then get into TT mode and catch up completely on the flats going back (its an "out and back" course... 25km I thinnk)

So thats my ride for your "19th"

Its cool early winter here, but no frost this morning but the sun is not long up and the sky is a promising blue... see y'all laters!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

81 degrees here at 7:20am. Too hot for me! Got thirty five minutes and 10.3 miles on the stationary at the gym though, which I thought was good enough at the time.
    Then I came home and ate a pint of Haagen Dazs ??????
    Freakin' horomones.....

Three Piers

It's my 30th birthday and in honor of that, I rode 30 miles...plus one for good measure

I headed over to the Santa Ana River Trail and down to the beach this morning. Instead of going towards Huntington today, I went toward Newport first for a change of scenery. The bike trail there slows me down a bit more because there is more foot traffic and the path is more narrow. I enjoyed the sun that was finally peeking through and took my time passing Newport pier, then Balboa pier and shortly thereafter reaching the end of the path and turning around to head toward Huntington. I went past the Huntington Beach pier and up past 9th street before I stopped to take a break and have a snack. The clock was ticking and I had to get back to pick dd up from school by 11:20. I spent my ride back on the beach path wondering if I'd be able to get my goal of 30 miles in. The whole ride so far was very windy and I was hoping that I would make up some time when I turned inland to go home. Luckily I was right and I was able to pass home and go a few blocks farther to add some mileage to my ride. I made it to her school with plenty of time to spare and 30.6 miles under my belt for the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois
    Fish - glad the new saddle is working out for you!!
    Happy girly bits and absolutely NO sit bones pain. I know it doesn't have much/any cushioning, but it feels so comfy and supportive. Amazing! Thanks for the suggestion!

Now if only it could magically make the wind go away! Why in the world is it always so windy here?????

Quote Originally Posted by fishdr
    Happy girly bits and absolutely NO sit bones pain. I know it doesn't have much/any cushioning, but it feels so comfy and supportive. Amazing! Thanks for the suggestion!

Now if only it could magically make the wind go away! Why in the world is it always so windy here?????
    Can't help you there, sorry!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I got to commute twice today 'cause I went back after a morning meeting to take the kitty in for his bi-weekly infusion, and just to confound me he'd eaten *everything* in the dish and wanted more
    (No, I didn't take him on the bike. Yes, the carrier would fit. No, I wouldn't subject an elderly feline to the potholes. Yes, I had to pump up the rear left car tire, not just the right side. Yes, I PROMISE, I'm going to Goodyear next week.)
    I'll prob'ly take the 20 mile route home unless the sky's too juicy... and it's still on the cool side here!

While UK Elephant was testing saddles and shoes, I test rode a Trek 7.6 on "the beautiful bike path by the lake". Wheeeee! Going fast is fun! But before I invest in a new bike, I'd better check out what I can do in the way of modifying my old one. And also how serious I'll be about biking once I'm back in Norway

Meanwhile ... we did buy UK the Serfas Carma saddle. After test riding a dozen different saddles, that was the one. In spite of the pink detailing. We also bought her reversible (clipless or flat) pedals, and a pair of shoes. So Monday it's off to spin class in the morning to practice clipping and unclipping.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Happy Birthday, Brandy!

fishdr, what kind of saddle do you have? Do you ride a road bike? I am not really happy with the Terry CrMo one that they put on my bike, and will try something else when I get a minute.

Lise
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Lise - I'm using the Terry Zero X. There's virtually no padding, but it has a nice cutout and as I said before - my butt feels comfy on there and well-supported. The geometry works for me in terms of sit bones, too. Maillotpois suggested it - she is wise

Well, today was my first day as a bike commuter. Got my new pedals and saddle on the ol' trek, and my new Timbuk2 bag. I had a doc appt today and I was a bit late leaving so I was hammering most of the way in. I got there with no time to spare, locked my bike up, and got my can upstairs. I wasn't able to change so I had to sit in my bike clothing, which the nurses in the dept quite enjoyed. I'm a regular patient and work in the dept, so I know everyone and we all rib each other. All I know is I walked out being on less medication for the crohn's disease than I walked in, so I must have looked all rosey and healthy. Mental note: ride bike to doc appointment more often.

Met up with Fuji Girl and some other residents for lunch, still in the bike garb. Changed for a grand total of 2 hours to do some work, then back into the bike gear to meet up with some friends for some mexican food. I'll admit it, had a margarita. But was fine to ride home, honest mom It was a bit chilly coming back, and getting a little dark. Put my blinky light on my bag and off I went. It was a great ride back, the timing on the lights was great so I made good time (unlike this morning). At one point I was riding along side a stretch Hummer limo with a newly married couple standing out the sunroof. Needless to say I got a lot of cheers from the bridal party. I think they were just drunk. Now it's time to get out of these bike clothes, and stretch out on the sofa. I can say it was a great first commute day. I'm hooked
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

[QUOTE=bikeless in WI]While UK Elephant was testing saddles and shoes, I test rode a Trek 7.6 on "the beautiful bike path by the lake". Wheeeee! Going fast is fun! But before I invest in a new bike, I'd better check out what I can do in the way of modifying my old one. And also how serious I'll be about biking once I'm back in Norway

Wow! Is that the beautiful red FX 7.6? That's the bike I'm may buy next. Want a hybrid to use for commuting and errands - and it looks to be the perfect bike. I plan to try one on Sunday.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    14 mile commute to work
    14 mile commute home

what a boring life it would be if I didn't have my bike commute!