Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

REI lecture by Bike for Life author

To disable ads, please log-in.

A friend and I went to a lecture at REI tonight...

Ride a century when you turn a century.” That’s the premise of Bike for Life: How to Ride to 100, a blueprint for using cycling to achieve super-fit longevity. Author Roy M. Wallack, Los Angeles Times fitness columnist and frequent writer for Bicycling, Outside, and many other publications, will discuss how to make best use of cycling as the foundation of an anti-aging program. Wallack will discuss training techniques, stretching, and more!
    It was really interesting. I never would have thought that there was a link between osteoporosis and cycling, but I'm glad that I am aware of it now. We met a really nice lady there who has been cycling for over twenty years and she started in her 50's! I told her about TE and hopefully she'll make it to the forums

I'm reading their book now. Lots of good stuff and contributions from a wide array of experts.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    I never would have thought that there was a link between osteoporosis and cycling, but I'm glad that I am aware of it now.
    What sort of link is there?

Here's an article that explains it way better than I could.

http://www.beezodogsplace.com/Pages/...s-Cycling.html

Do you also know that 2 million men in America have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and another 12 million men are at risk? These statistics are from the National Osteoporosis Foundation.

I did not see where the researchers took into account hormone levels for both men and women or other drugs, like steroids for asthma.

I also did not see any mention of these athletes taking any drugs like Fosamax, Actonel, etc. to help prevent further bone loss.

I also heard on the news the other night that women should be getting Dexascans at age 45 as they are finding bone loss in younger and younger women.

However, this is another case for a balanced lifestyle. Besides, lifting weights makes you stronger on the bike.

Here's an interesting link that shows bone mass for various sports.

http://depts.washington.edu/bonebio/.../exercise.html

While cycling isn't the greatest overall it does have some benefits for the spine and legs.