Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Basic Bike Short: Essential and Amazing!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Another find by Bubba. Thought it answered a lot of the questions we hear over and over.

http://bikezoneinc.com/page.cfm?PageID=46
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

SadieKate- it's your bedtime. Oh really though, thanks for the education!

Is that a steak in your shorts, or are you just happy to see me?
    Uh, past my bedtime.

Quote Originally Posted by aka_kim
    Uh, past my bedtime.

Too too funny! Did you want fries with that?

e

Quote Originally Posted by aka_kim
    Uh, past my bedtime.
    and thus we now understand the whole history behind dogs chasing cyclists!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Now that makes me wonder what kind of sauce they preffered on their steak aka chamois butt'r ??? Spicy or mild ?

Quote Originally Posted by FreshNewbie
    Now that makes me wonder what kind of sauce they preffered on their steak aka chamois butt'r ??? Spicy or mild ?

A1 - butt of course!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Filet Megnon or Kobi steak? Beef or bafalo ?

Pearl Izumi ultrasensor= Kobi steak
    Pearl Izumi quest = fillet mignon

sausage steak was the first thing that came to my mind..............................

but now ya'll know where My mind is

hahahahahaha i am cracking up

funny thread...

On a more serious note, what do you wear if you really don't look too great in spandex? (Still have 15 lobs to lose...) I am getting tired of wearing my regular clothes but can't bring msyelf to buy expensive cycling shorts that I *hope* will be too big in another month or so... (not to mention the spare tire that will hang over the top....)

I was in the same boat last summer--new to cycling and a little overweight. Just order a pair from Performance that don't cost too much, so you can be comfortable without feeling like you invested a fortune. I bought a pair for about $20, I think, and they worked fine. When you get to the size you want to be, you can reward yourself with a better pair! But the chamois really makes a difference in how comfortable you are on your bike.

Tamara
    "It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness."

Thanks Tamara,

So how do they look when you're carrying an extra 15lbs? Do they act like a girdle and hold everything in or do they show every roll? It's been too hot to wear a jersey that could hang down and cover up the flabby parts (I usually wear a tank top when I ride because I get too darn hot). Maybe I just need to go into a sports store and try some on to see how bad they look... Or should I look at those baggier mountain biking shorts with the chamois underneath?

Hey there Kelownagirl,

If anyone had told me I would be wearing lycra... in public... at 40... I would have been so incredulous...

yeah right.........

Yet, here I am, several times a week, and frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn.

Shorts with a chamois in them are pretty much essential... whther you choose mountain bike shorts with chamois, or lycra shorts with chamois is up to you.

Many people choose the lycra style because they do not get hooked up on the bike seat, bugs (like wasps and bees) can't fly up the legs, and if you get into racing - they are lighter and more stream-lined...

I am just getting my daughter back on a bike (she broke her arm two summers ago). At 18 she is a bit self-concious and wears her lycra shorts with a pair of short shorts over the top.

If you are worried about the extra weight, well, wear a long tee-shirt. But mostly be proud of yourself - you are getting fitter than those folks in cars and buses - more power to you!

Have fun, K, ride lots!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".