Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm ready for the tour!

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, a little misleading with the title, but I've had a great day!

I spanned the Bay today to test ride the Trek 520 and the Bianchi Volpe, the two touring bikes I had narrowed down my choice based on some specific features I was looking for (larger tires, low gears, and steel frame) and high recommendations from TE and others.

First stop; Pleasanton to test ride the Trek 520. I decided right away that I did not like the bar end shifters. I gave it about ½ hour to get a little more familiar with the shifting, but I just didn’t like it. It was awkward and I’d prefer to have quick shifting maneuverability when I round the corner and find a 12% grade staring back at me. Plus, the bike didn't fit that well to begin with.

So off to Berkeley to Left Coast Cyclery – a woman owned bike shop with a good reputation. Judy was fantastic – very attentive and seemed quite knowledgeable. She acknowledged that I would probably want a narrower handlebar before I ever mentioned that the handlebars on the Trek I had just tested were too far apart (is this common with touring bikes?). She pulled the bike down, pumped up the tires, adjusted the seat for me, and handed the bike over to the mechanic to check the bike over before I headed out (nice!). The location of the bike shop was just perfect for testing out the lower gears (upland and tunnel road for those of you familiar with the Bay Area). It felt good. Plenty of play for the real hills to come.

It would have been nice to be able to test ride the bike fully loaded, but I think it should be ok. I’ll try the bike with the trailer and with panniers to see which I like best. I was tempted to buy the Bianchi right then and there. But as it turned out, my credit card was back home in Walnut Creek sitting on the dining room table.

That gave me a little more time to think about the $900 or so that I’ll have to shell out for the bike. As some of you know, I’ve been a student for the last 8 years and money is not exactly flowing out of my bank account – plus I’m taking the summer off, so my student loan stash is quickly dwindling.

But - a decision by Veronica and I to tour the Atlantic Coast (rather than France) will probably save me close to that (airfare is much cheaper and we won’t get robbed by the euro).

So, I guess I have a new bike! I’m calling the shop to put a deposit on the bike right now. I LOVE SHOPPING! I am so excited!!!!!!
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

p.s. thanks to everyone for your valuable input. It REALLY REALLY helped me narrow down my choices and make a good decision. Thanks especially to Bubba for talking me through all my options...
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

Oh, very cool! Bubba will be happy to know you are happy. Are you opting for any changes you discussed? Like the seatpost and pedals?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

It's funny - I was looking forward to France. but for some reason I'm so much more excited about doing Maine and Nova Scotia. And I GREW up in Maine. It's not like I've never been there. But I haven't done much biking there.

V.

PS new bike shopping is fun!
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Pssst, Cindy. Told you so.

Congrats Cindy! What a great way to celebrate finishing school!

OF course we'll want ALL the details including pictures!
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by bikerz
    . . . celebrate finishing school!
    Does this mean she's required to keep lace hankies in her jersey pocket? What would Miss Manner recommend?

Cindysue!!!!

Congratulations on your new bike! I've been reading about your shopping/research adventure and am so happy you've found just the right one! I hope you will post pics when you get 'er home!!!!

Happy Touring!!!!!

Tracy

Excellent

Talking Sadiekate...you owe me a small bottle of gatorade

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Does this mean she's required to keep lace hankies in her jersey pocket? What would Miss Manner recommend?

LMAO here! I just spit my gatorade all over my monitor...
    Living a life that matters doesn’t happen by accident.
    It’s not a matter of circumstance but of choices.
    Choose to live a life that matters.-

In remembrance of Amber Stumbaugh, DVM

That isn't very ladylike. Sounds like you need finishing school also.

Blame BikerZ. She started it.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Blame BikerZ. She started it.
    Falsely accused! That is not what I meant! Cindy is already very refined!

Quote Originally Posted by bikerz
    Cindy is already very refined!
    ahhem! LOL! I think we are off topic ..............
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

oh now there's a first.