Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cysts in the nether regions!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been riding for years, but this is my first year racing. With the huge increase in training hours on the bike since the winter, I have had a HUGE problem with ingrown hairs/cysts in the saddle area. I'm not a new rider...I understand proper saddle and bike fit......I have great bibs....I use a chamois cream..etc, etc. My problem.....(and I'm going to be blunt, ladies)....is that I am just so damn hairy down there. The hair continues on the sides where my inner thighs begin. My teammates advice is to just keep the area shaved and use lots of lubricant before rides. I do use lubricant/cream EVERY time I ride, but shaving that area on a regular basis makes the issue even worse. Currently I have 3 large deep cysts, and it will probably take a couple of weeks for them to go away. After they go away, I'll probably ride for a couple of weeks before developing a few more cysts in different spots. I've spoken with my doctor about this (who races as well, so he knows), and my cysts are never bad enought to require antibiotics, but since he is not a women he cannot offer anymore suggestions. Does anyone else suffer from this issue??? All of my teammates do not, so I'm really fishing for help. By the way...this is not your run of the mill ingrown shaving bump that everyone gets....I'm talking hard big DEEP cysts.

Maybe once you're healed up, you can get a wax instead of shaving?

Can a wax really be that much more painful than the cysts? It's over in a heartbeat.

What about electrolysis? Maybe a permanent removal would be the best thing.

I dunno, I'm a newbie.

Karen

I have a sebacious cyst right now in the bend of my inner leg as well... right where the saddle rubs... I actually get ingrown hairs worse FROM shaving... so now I use a trimmer and wear board shorts (they look better than a swimsuit with my tan lines anyway)...

the cyst I have will not go away on it's own... it's been there for months now... it goes down and seems almost flat until I ride... then it puffs up, is painful and will sometimes burst and drain on my shorts during a ride. I have an excellent fit etc as well...

my doc said this will not go away on it's own. If it didn't hurt I'd leave it... but mine is being removed June 6... stitches adn 2 weeks off the bike
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

uhm.... ok... so dumb question... when you say cyst... do you mean like a pimple? that if you sqeeze it... gook comes out? or is it something else?

+1 Waxing

I'm prone to ingrown hairs too. It has something to do with my Asian skin not exfoliating very well. I have to sit in a hot tub for at least an hour to slough off layers of skin in with a loofa. Who has time for that? I don't. Shaving just made my ingrown hairs worse. As soon as I could afford it, I started having my legs and bikini line waxed (okay I go Brazillian). Now, I only keep razors around for my underarms.

I still get ingrown hairs with waxing, but much fewer in number, and the hairs are softer and easier to work out. They definitely don't cyst up the way they used to.

The whole thought of waxing or the issues that would come with shaving were a complete turn off to me. I just clip mine very short, maybe 1/8th of an inch, and it really makes a HUGE difference in my comfort level. It takes about two weeks to grow to a length that starts getting annoying. It took a little getting used to at first, but I wouldn't do anything different now. Good luck!

I've got one of these Bikini Trimmer

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl
    uhm.... ok... so dumb question... when you say cyst... do you mean like a pimple? that if you sqeeze it... gook comes out? or is it something else?
    A cyst is more deep seated - it doesn't have a head to it like a pimple/pimple-like infection would have. It will feel like a lump under the skin - like a small ball-bearing but some get as big as a golf ball.

Shaving or waxing both can lead to more in-grown hairs - it is better to trim (like Bikerchick or myself) if you don't like the long hairs. As hairs grow back from shaving or waxing, they can curl back on themselves (particularly in the nether regions where hairs are curly anyways...)

Most cyclists who shave their legs will suggest you do not shave above the shorts line.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I highly recommend laser hair removal. I struggled for years with crotch acne and ingrowns and this has essentially resolved my problems in that department. I'm not that hairy but the hairs I do (did) have are extremely coarse and they are very prone to becoming ingrown. Also my skin is more sensitive than most. You know, I don't think there's anything worse in the world than an ingrown cyst in your buttcrack.

Shaving closely always caused ingrowns/cysts for me, no matter how carefully I did it and how religiously I exfoliated. Waxing and epilatory creams - ten times worse than shaving. Before I had lasering done the best technique was trimming them down to 1/8-1/4", which is stubbly and not that great.

It wasn't cheap but it wasn't horribly expensive either. When I had it done a few years ago it was about $200 per treatment, five treatments total spaced out over a year. I basically looked at it as $100 per month and paid along the way. I went for the full brazilian treatment to get the "junk in the trunk" but still left plenty of "decoration shrubbery" in the front because I didn't want a permanent pr0nstar look.

Thanks for all the input. To respond to caligurl...it is not like a pimple. It is deep below the surface and hard, just like RoadRaven stated. Mine never come to the surface. I stopped shaving the area months ago and have just kept it trim, which had helped a lot, but it certainly didn't resolve the problem. I may try that suggestion of soaking in a tub periodically and exfoliating. Thanks ladies!

I'm having the same problem as shigatsu - hard deep bump, which I actually got the first time even before I started riding last year. To make matters worse, mine's right along my pantie line when I'm in street clothes, which makes the whole "keep it dry and don't irritate it" thing sort of impossible.

I searched the forum and found this thread to be really helpful.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ht=saddle+sore

Specifically, there was one tip about protecting the bump with a Dr. Scholls Corn Protector (see the original poster's tips and cautions!). I tried it on my ride this morning, and used double my usual amount of Bag Balm, and it all seemed to help.

Unfortunately, I can't go out in the world nekkid (not a pretty option ), and I can't just sit home all day with my legs spreadeagle to keep things "aired out" until the bump subsides. So, I used another Dr. Scholls under my underwear today, and I've been pretty comfortable. I put a bit of neosporin on the bump before I covered it up, too, since that seems to help make it reduce faster.

The type of Dr. Scholl's corn cushion I got is called "Cushlin Gel" - it's this nice soft squishy gell which feels better than the normal foam one (yeah, I tried that first).

Thanks to everyone for the tips and ideas.

Cathy (P.S. make sure you take the thing off, slowly and carefully, with lubrication . . or OUCH!!)
    Last edited by laughlaugh18; 05-19-2006 at 02:58 PM.

I have had some problems more in the winter in Spinning, where you don't get the "aeration" you do on the road outside. My derm suggested a powder called "Zeosorb", you can get it at Walgreens but have to ask the pharmacist. It is a highly absorbent powder, much higher than baby or corn starch powder. It basically keeps the perspiration from cauzing havoc or creating rashes. Works well for me, I use it everytime I ride if I remember. Also good anytime on hot summer days.

They also make a miconazole version if you are prone to athletes foots, etc.
    Ride like a girl.

Renee

Laser!

The problem is due to the hair follicle becoming infected - the hair follicle is a portal to the root area of the hair - where the cyst is occurring. The best way to reduce the occurrence of this is to permanently remove the hair with laser hair removal. Waxing is only temporary - as it rips out the follicle - which eventually regrows - the "healing process" after waxing causes increased blood flow to the area - and some believe worse problems in the long run. I don't know, as I have never waxed. Owwwie.

Yes, laser is expensive - but well worth it in the long run. Yes, it also is painful - but there are topical prescriptions (emla) that your doctor can give you to numb the area one hour prior to your treatment.

Ask around for a referral if you are considering laser - not all are the same - and if you have dark-pigmented skin - the laser may be less effective - as the laser "targets" the dark follicle as opposed to your "white" skin - if you have a tan or a darker complexion - the laser is not as effective. The darker and coarser your hair and the lighter your skin - the better it works.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchick68
    my doc said this will not go away on it's own. If it didn't hurt I'd leave it... but mine is being removed June 6... stitches adn 2 weeks off the bike

How did it go? Are you all right? What kind of Dr. did it?

You may want to look up "Bartholin's Cyst" and make sure it is not that - this is completely different than an ingrown hair and can cause bigger problems, more pain and keep you off the bike much longer than the average ingrown hair. No amount of hair removal will help this problem, but there are things you can do to help reduce the friction and irritation on the area so it doesn't become blocked.

Your Bartholin glands are in just the right place to become highly irritated by a saddle and can make you extremely miserable!
    The space and time for what you WANT is being occupied by what you have settled for

"You say bark I say bite / You say shark I say hey man / Jaws was never my scene / And I don't like Star Wars"

BikeDFW - Dallas and Fort Worth Area Cycling Advocacy Organization