Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Technotart
    You may want to look up "Bartholin's Cyst" and make sure it is not that - this is completely different than an ingrown hair and can cause bigger problems (snip-snip) but there are things you can do to help reduce the friction and irritation on the area so it doesn't become blocked.
    About ten years ago I had a few Bartholin's Cysts. They never caused me so much trouble that I had to go to the doc, but I found out what they were because a friend had one that was much worse.

So I just started cycling this week -- and reading this topic made me realize I know nothing about how to reduce friction and irritation, etc.

Please, info?

Thanks so much!

salt baths!work a treat.............but,never bypass the bah bit and rub salt down below on the offending pimp AS I ONCE DID
    who is driving your bus?

I really thought i was the only one who got those cysts.
    i am a newbie, but i have had this problem for many years. I am quite hairy and i do not shave. (just the occasional trim), but i never realized that other folks had the same problem.
    it is so reassuring to see all of you talking about things that i thought only happened to me...
    thanks ladies!

Sara... you are def not alone...

High-profile elite cyclists (both women and men) pull out of tours and competitions because these things can get so big...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Alright - I give up. I've been fighting this cyst for a couple months now and I'm OVER IT! I've raced all year and why now? I'm guessing it popped up at the end of mtb season and beginning of cross season so I don't know if it's a saddle issue or what as I've ridden both bikes pretty constantly all year and never had a problem all spring or summer.

It popped the other day and wonderful narly stuff came out but now it's back to being puffy, painful and ugly.

So what type of doctor do I go to? My gyno is a cyclist and it's "down there" but it's not gyno related. Do I see my regular MD or a dermatologist?

Thanks

Jeni

I have to chime in here!

This is (apparently!) a pretty common problem.

My gyn suggested switching to an antibacterial soap life Safeguard. Definitely helps. But overall, I find it best kept under control by treating it like acne. In most cases, the cysts really are just deep-seated acne. A few things that work for me...

Of course, go commando. I think we all agree on that!
    Get out of your shorts asap after your ride
    Wear clean shorts every ride (what a good excuse to go buy more bicycling clothes!)
    Shower (or otherwise!) asap after your ride and use an antibacterial soap
    Use acne lotion such as Proactive with Benzoil Peroxide (sp?) or salicylic acid
    Stay away from balms, lubes, gels and bag-balm! Nothing worse for clogging pores! (Really, being a farm girl, I'm a big fan of bag balm, but it's mostly petroleum jelly!)
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" -Winston Churchill

so glad i just found this forum. i've had 4 of these cysts in the last year and it's driving me crazy. i really was thinking i was the only one getting these this often until i found this site. i work as a bike messenger so i'm going crazy figuring out a way to prevent them (taking hot baths doesn't help all that much if i still have to bike all day every day, but i still take them anyway). each time i find one i go to the doctor and get antibiotics and it goes away in roughly 6 days. the first time i found one on me (and they're always on my labia, always on the left side but not in exactly the same spot), I freaked out because i had no idea what it was, thought it was an STI or something so I went to Planned Parenthood to get it checked out. the nurse was very helpful, told me it was a Bartholin's Cyst, told me to use warm compresses on it a few times every day, and gave me antibiotics. i go to my private doctor now since it's impossible to get appointments at PP, and since it's a recurring thing I just tell him that i have the cyst again and he gives me antibiotics for it. however, now that i just discovered a 4th one on me, i'm kinda freaking out about how much longer i can stand having to deal with it and how i can really prevent it. i'm starting to feel like i need to just quit my job and ride less, but until i figure out what i'm doing next with my life, i need to figure out something in the meantime. i've gotten some good tips from reading all the previous comments, but if anyone else has any more tips for prevention, i would greatly appreciate it!

I, too have had problems recently with cysts/ingrown hairs. I make sure I take my shorts off and shower as soon as possible after my ride. I use benzoyl peroxide cream (like for pimples) and that really works well. If I can get anything out of the cyst/ingrown hair, I will try and then put the cream on 3x a day and this really seems to make the cyst go down fast. I also try not to wear underwear unless I have to (difficult for me!!) and keep the area as dry as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 3gr8goys View Post
    I, too have had problems recently with cysts/ingrown hairs. I make sure I take my shorts off and shower as soon as possible after my ride. I use benzoyl peroxide cream (like for pimples) and that really works well. If I can get anything out of the cyst/ingrown hair, I will try and then put the cream on 3x a day and this really seems to make the cyst go down fast. I also try not to wear underwear unless I have to (difficult for me!!) and keep the area as dry as possible.
    I've had good luck with benzoyl peroxide as well. My only caveat is that it can bleach fabric, so be careful what you wear after you apply it.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher