Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Itchy Bruise?

Itchy Bruise?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I fell about a week and a half ago while climbing a hill moutain biking. It was a quick hard fall that resulted in three beautiful (ie really dark purple and red) bruises on my legs. I'm used to having bruises, no big deal. The one though I've noticed I can feel a lump in it and is quite itchy. Has anyone had experienced w/ an itchy bruise? Any idea of why it is itchy? It's just very odd. The other bruises don't bother me, just this one. I don't feel a lump in the others either.

I treat any bruise with arnica ( a homeopathic cream).
    I think bruising should be *treated* ; not left to go away on its own or "let the body heal itself" type philosophy. It is a long process which benefits from intervention (personal home treatment and attention not Dr's)
    Btw what colours are you seeing on it now?

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

One of my bruises after a car accident felt like it had a lump under the surface. The doctor said that was just a local accummulation of blood, i.e. that the bruise was simply deeper than what I saw on the surface. I don't recall any itching, though. If this bruise of yours is not healing similarly to the other ones, and if that's making you nervous, maybe you should go ahead and see your doctor about it.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

With itching and a lump that has developed with it, I'd be on the lookout for infection. (heat, swelling, increased itching, increased lump) I'd also be worried about a clot if it was a really deep bruise.

It wouldn't hurt to call the nurse at your doc's office, give them a rundown of what's up, and see what they have to say. (hey, it's free!)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

As long as there's no sign of infection, the itching is probably just because some nerves also got damaged with the bruise. I had neuropathy in my feet once and couldn't feel my toes for a few months, and they itched occasionally when the nerves were coming back.

It looks the same as the other bruises, so I'm not too concerned yet. It's deep blue/purple ring around greenish color in the middle. Hopefully it will go down in a few days. I'll be sure to check for infection though, thanks for the advice!

Oh and I've read a lot of good things abuot arnica. I really need to find some and give it a try.

Arnica is great stuff. My favorite is the Boiron Arnica gel. I get it in little 1.5 oz tubes. ($6-$8 or so) Made in France, but it's easy to find.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMTB
    It's deep blue/purple ring around greenish color in the middle. Oh and I've read a lot of good things abuot arnica. I really need to find some and give it a try.
    Oh yeah, this is progressing nicely, Salsa. The green should develope a yellow tinge and the outside should fade into cerise /fuchsia. Trust me - you will be beautiful.
    I hope you found some arnica - it really speeds up the colour changes - I mean healing process

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Like Bikeless's doctor says, a bruise is bleeding under the skin - in the normal course of events, the body will break this clotted blood up and reabsorb it and cleanse itself.

But lumpy, sore, unhealing bruises should be checked.

My first response to any bang/crash/bump is arnice too, amazing stuff

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

ok not quite the same but my cat had an injury on her belly.
    It was a bruise from trying to get over a fence while a dog was attacking her. The vet said when i was concerned about the bruise being so swollen that we needed to bring the blood vessels to the surface to heal. So we were to use a hot water bottle on her bruise 3 times a day for 15 minutes at a time. We were lucky she liked the warmth, our other cats would not tolerate that at all. But maybe that would help your healing too, and Arnica is awsome! I can get mine at Ralph's supermarket. Or my healthfood store.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!