Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Heavy Flooding in Mass and NH

To disable ads, please log-in.

A webpage on MSN reports four days of heavy rains causing severe flooding, worse since 1936. There is a picture showing a couple guys paddling a boat through the streets

I hope all of the many riders and families in Mass and NH are safe. I send prayers out your way.

Carole

AAAHHHHH sun gods please shine upon our friends!!!!!!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

I was listening to the news reports on my commute. I hope all our New Englanders are safe and sound, high and dry. Report in when you can.

The report said the rain is expected to continue. Guess we really shouldn't be whining about 90s here in California. I mean, we could have stayed inside and followed yellow's bon-bons on the couch training plan.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 05-15-2006 at 10:56 AM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I too was concerned about the welfare of our cycling friends in the Northeast. When they said that some roads were washed out, I immediately wondered how that would affect peoples' ability to get around much less ride a bike in the mess.

Please do let us know how you all are!
    Nancy

It's definitely wet out there, no riding here!

I posted a letter to the weather wizard (over the weekend) with some of the details - but it's under Northeast so probably many of you didn't see it... http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=6693

I just checked for updates on the National Weather Service site, and the town where I live (to the north of Boston) is listed as having 11.6 inches of rain (from this storm) as of 10:30 this morning. The thing I find absolutely amazing is that this was only the second largest rainfall on record for Boston (but then again, Boston was lagging the towns to the north with only 8.3 inches of rain).

The rivers in the area are already above flood stage and they haven't risen to the expected levels yet - later today or tomorrow apparently.

I consider myself lucky though - I'm dry, my bikes are dry, my house is dry. The ground outside is still very wet, the skies are very gray, still threatening but not raining right now. I suppose I should take that as a sign that I need to get out for a quick walk.

I did walk in the rain yesterday though. It had eased up a bit, although before I got home again the deluge had returned. It's amazing looking at the lakes (that are supposed to be lawns) behind people's houses, and the houses with hoses pumping water out of basements. It looks like the "chance of rain" isn't going to go away anytime soon, but the predicted rainfall amounts for the days ahead are much closer to normal.

I join you in hoping that our TE gals are not in some of the flooded areas in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and southwestern Maine.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 05-15-2006 at 10:12 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

At last check...

we have gotten about 6 inches of water in our cellar. Ground water, coming up from under the house. To top it off, I live on a hill!!

karen
    Quitting is NOT an option!
    Know the signs of stroke!! www.stroke.org

Holding all of you in my thoughts:

East Coast has horrendous rain

FL with their fires

Indonesia with their volcanoes

Here's hoping everyone stays dry, safe, and sound.

(and I've got spare rooms for anyone that wants to get the heck outta dodge for awhile! LOL)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Corsair,

Don't even talk about California, ok?

Hope everyone on the East Coast is ok
    Last edited by Trek420; 05-15-2006 at 01:03 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Thanks for well wishes.

...I am definitely grumpy about this weather! We've had 6 inches out at BF's house in Bedford; it's put a damper (ha-ha) on bike to work week, which means the fabulous week opener at RedBones BBQ has been postponed; and I haven't ridden in over two weeks because I was traveling for work out in MN. Ugh. Not helping with my out of shape woes...

But, I am safe and dry (so to speak) as are family, friends--cyclists and non-cyclists alike.

Please send sunshine!

i hope everyone is safe your in my thoughts and prayers

It is good to live up on a hill. Even though I live in the Blackstone Valley I'm up the hill. Maybe climbing this hill home on my bike isn't such a bad thing. The Blackstone River is about to overflow its banks a mile from me. Its not as high as it was this past fall when they closed all the bridges from Worcester to Providence over the Blackstone. Dare I whisper it looks like a break on Wednesday. Sshhhhhh.

I am now glad I live on a hill. Things are not as bad here in the NW suburbs, but still, I have never seen so much rain! The river about 2 miles from my house is up over the banks, but not causing any horrible damage like in Denise's area. There was a small wettish spot in the corner of my basement, where my family room is, but we pulled up the carpet last night and it is now dry. We have a shed that is a miniature version of the house (very mini) where we keep our bikes (it used to be a garden shed, i think). Yesterday, my husband swept out 4 inches of water. All of the bikes were hanging except mine, so he cleaned it and put it up. I went to the gym!
    Definitely no riding here. Tomorrow I am supposed to lead a beginner ride at 6 PM, but I am not sure if it will be a go. It's not raining now, but there are predicted t-storms for late afternoon.

Things are not so bad on the Cape. We've had some downpours and steady rain, but nothing like what is happening on the North Shore. And living on a sandbar, it drains away pretty well. There were some high winds and heavy seas yesterday, but I haven't heard of any major erosion.

And this afternoon the sun actually came out!!! I hopped on my bike for a quick ride on the canal, turning around when I felt the first raindrops again. Got home just before another shower.

The folks north of Boston and near the rivers are not faring so well, however. I too keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

In spite of the outrageous amount of water that fell in my town I'm very lucky - my house is dry. I was watching the news tonight though, and seeing pictures of the Merrimac River out of its banks. I rode along that river on my 2-day trip to Maine and back just over a week ago. What a difference. One of the towns I rode through on that trip was Salisbury, which according to the National Weather Service set a new Massachusetts record.
    "APPARENTLY A NEW STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS MONTHLY RAINFALL RECORD WAS ESTABLISHED WITH THIS UNIQUE EARLY WARM SEASON 3 DAY RAIN EVENT. THE 13.36 INCHES OF RAIN REPORTED BY OUR SALISBURY CO-OPERATIVE OBSERVER WHICH RAISED THE MONTHLY TOTAL AT SALISBURY TO 18.82 INCHES WHICH IS WELL ABOVE THE PREVIOUSLY KNOWN MAY STATE RECORD OF 15.6 INCHES SET IN 1984." Quote courtesy of the eastern region of the National Weather Service, http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/.
    Amazing.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Wishing you guys speedy drying, and safe passage through this rainy, rainy season. L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock