Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Why?

Why?

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's not raining when I leave work. But a quarter of mile from home the skies open up and I'm drenched by the time I get my front door open. My dog, who is terrified of thunder, rushes out the door, realizes it's even louder outside, so makes a beeline back inside, nearly knocking me and the bike over. And now the sun is starting to come out.

Ahhh... such is the life of a bicycle commuter.

Veronica

LOL -- just read this. My dog is sooooo scared of storms! LOL

Oh it gets even better. I usually keep my bike in the living room. It's just easier to load and unload that way. But I figure it's pretty grimy after the rain and I don't want to get crud on the carpet. So I leave the bike half in the house and half out since I don't want my leather saddle to get wet while I open up the garage. Greta (my dog) rushes out into the garage with me, I open up the garage door and she realizes she's back outside. It was hysterical - but kind of sad too because you know she's just so scared and other than holding her, you can't make her feel better. Ever try holding an 80 lb Rottweiler in your lap? The things we do for our pets.

Coming back from our mountain bike ride today we passed a lady walking with three dogs. It was hot - somehwere in the nineties - she had brought water for her, but not for the dogs. One of them was panting so hard and frothing. Thom gave him the rest of his water. The poor thing looked so unhappy. It shied away from him at first and then when it realized Thom had water the dog was all over him. Made me sad that I carry Gator Aid so had nothing for the poor pooch.

Veronica

Yeah, I'm amazed what people do with their doggies out in the heat & no water. They pant like crazy -- seems like it would give them a clue.

Here's a funny thing: My dog (Nicky -- Shih Tzu) follows me when I come in the house & stretch after riding. Every single time I get on the floor to stretch, he starts stretching right beside me. He even lays on his back when I do. LOL My hubby thinks it's hilarious. It is pretty cute!

Talking

lol!
    I've experienced same thing with storms and my dogbaby. Except, she's more scared of bike than the storms and stays away when 'evilbike' is in motion in her home.
    It makes me sad when I see people with their dogs and it's too hot outside and clearly the animal isn't use to it. Mirri and I have much shorter walks/runs as humidity and heat increase along with before sunrise/@sunset. I also choose routes that we can get water, carry ziplock baggie (tucked in back of jogbra, kinda like a camel -- or Hunchback of Notre Dame), and she's a puddle drinker-have water will drink. Yes, what I do for my dogkid!