Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Small Hands, Small Handlebars

To disable ads, please log-in.

For those of you who have reach issues to the brake levers I've found 2 handlebars that might be worth checking out. Both are designed to bring the hand closer to the brake lever which is still an issue for those of us with Campy brifters. Both bars have a flat spot in the bend which allows the hand to get closer to the levers.

TTT makes the Eva. It comes in sizes 38/42-40/44 cm. Its made a little wider at the bottom.

The Modolo Venus comes in sizes 34-42 cm. Looks like it has a 77 mm reach between the lever and the bar.

The disadvantage of the bars is that newer bikes have larger clamps so a new stem will probably be required.

I looked at the Poco bars but the little bump restricted my hands so my fingers wouldn't reach the brake levers.

I ordered the Venus because I need the size 34 cm. I'll give a report on it when I receive it.

Great! Will appreciate the review.

A little OT, but related...would like to hear from anyone who uses the Specialized shims to reduce brake reach. Specifically, is anyone using two sets of these...double-shimming? I have one set of shims and it is not enough. Am considering double-shimming, but would like to hear if there are any problems: loosening, cable adjustments needed, etc.

I'm trying to avoid buying new bars.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

I double shimmed last year and had no problems. The shims stayed in place ( double stick tape hold them in place). I did have to do a slight adjustment to the brakes. When I first put the shims (both pair) in place it was like having the brakes on already. You might have to have your LBS adjust them if you aren't familiar with how but other than that no problems. That was the only way I could get comfortable and be cofident I had control of the brakes/shifters.

By the way...

My new bike has http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1147433145457 these shifters. They bring my hands pretty close as well.

Brok,

How comfortable is the braking from the hoods? I felt that the Shimano shifters were to bulky reaching the brake from the hoods and my hand didn't rest comfortably in the hoods. Just too large for me. That's why I'm staying with Campy on the new bike.

My LBS says that they've been having excellent feedback setting up bikes with Specialized's stock WSD bar. Sorry, I don't know more than that but they've been really happy with their customer's satisfaction with the reach. You usually won't see this bar sitting out on display but you can probably find it on a bike on the floor so ask about it next time you're at a Speciazed dealer.

Just thought I'd pass along this bit of info for the knowledge base.

Kathi - I too don't like the bulk of Shimano shifters. It's that wide square top that's painful for my dainty little paws.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

My LBS said the same thing about the Specialized bar but it doesn't come small enough for me.

The guy I dealt with at my LBS was very excited about the Modolo Venus and said "it could solve a lot of problems for them because getting a narrower bar is a real issue for them" but he also said it's going to be hard to convince clients to fork out the money for the new stem it may require
    Apparently, the new WSD bikes put stems with a 31mm clamp on them.

However, the LBS who is building my new frame said that the stems with the 26mm clamps are an advantage because they are lighter in weight, so who knows?

The new oversized standard is a bit silly for us smaller folks. Why add weight if you don't need the strength?

Are they swapping parts on a stock bike or putting components on a frame? The stem shouldn't cost any more. In the first case, they should give you credit for the cost of the stem they are taking off the bike and in the latter case the cost should be the same. 26mm stems are no more expensive if you buy the same quality.

I guess it depends on the situation. I thought they swapped the stems on a new bike, I'm sure they did when I bought my Titus from them, but if someone bought the bike elsewhere they would have to charge for the stem.

In my case, I have the right size clamp for the new bar on my Aegis and for my new bike I'm getting a Ritchey WCS which the LBS says is one of the lightest stems. It has the correct size clamp.
    Last edited by Kathi; 05-12-2006 at 09:26 AM.

Ritchey WCS is a great choice and they are right.

I'm also trying Zero Gravity brakes, lighter than Record. The LBS says if I don't like them he'll switch me back to Record.

Oooh! I've always like traditional looking classic silver components but those brakes make me drool. The company is a bit odd and is having supply issues. Do you already have them?

No, I don't, but hopefully the LBS has them in stock.

There is also an issue with carbon tubing for frames and forks. My LBS was telling me that a normal 8 month supply for carbon bicycles is being eaten up in building airplanes.

My frame is delayed a week or so because of the delay.

This bike is going to be a true WSD bike, right down to the handbuilt wheels!

Kathi,

I don't have much trouble braking from the hoods - I have never tried campy so I don't have anything to compare to.

Brok, thanks for the shim info. I think I'll order set #2 and see how it goes.

Kathi, I have quite small hands, and I don't have any trouble braking from the hoods, even though I can barely reach the brakes from the drops. But, I don't have anything much to compare to...I really haven't ridden many road bikes.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury