Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

My bike is totalled

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone,

On Monday night at around 7:00pm, I got hit by a truck. The truck and I had both stopped at an intersection facing each other. He had no turn signal on, so I starting riding straight through the intersection, believing that he had looked right at me. Unfortunately, he had the sun in his eyes and couldn't see me. He decided to make a left turn and ran right into me. I tried to turn right to get out of his way and pounded my fist on his hood yelling "HEY!" but he kept going. My bike got sucked under the truck (Ford F-250) and I went down. He didn't even realize that he hit me and wouldn't have stopped except that a college student walking on the sidewalk ran out into the street in front of him and screamed "stop"! When he stopped, my 2.5 month old Specialized Ruby Pro (with Campy Record, BTW) was under his rear wheel and the front wheel was about an inch from running over my head.

Surprisingly, I have a lot of bruises, but absolutely no road rash. My helmet saved my head and I had only a few small cuts on my legs and one on my nose. My right knee was hyperextended and I'm on crutches for a couple of days until the swelling goes down. I am sore pretty much everywhere, but all in all, I'm in pretty good shape. My bike, however, is a different story. My LBS freaked out when the bike was taken into the shop yesterday. All the mechanics and staff were standing around it in a circle staring. I finally broke the ice by saying "I think I need new handlebar tape". They told me that there is not one part that can be salvaged and that I'm really lucky not to be hurt any worse. I posted pictures at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/susieb.../ph//my_photos

The guy's insurance is already offering me a settlement and I'll be paid full replacement value on the bike. Unfortunately, Specialized appears to be out of Ruby Pros in my size.

Susie

p.s. Immediately after as I was laying on the ground with people asking me if I was OK, I turned my head and saw my bike. What did I do? Ignore their questions, crawl towards the back of the truck and scream "MY BIKE" over and over. Everyone's still giving me a hard time about that.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Ah ha! A real cyclist worries about her bike first.

You are so incredibly fortunate. I'm amazed that you weren't injured more. Was the driver cited?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Susie,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your accident! I was shaking just reading your story!
    I'm glad you're ok. You seem to have such a positive attitude and great sense of humor. I think I would have been worried about my bike first, too!
    Sorry about your bike...it looks awful! Hope you can find a suitable replacement!

What an amazing story and photos - it is incredible that you weren't more badly hurt. You were so fortunate, all things considered.

Wow.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Wow, you are one lucky rider. I am so happy you weren't hurt worse. I will now bow my head in a moment of silence for your lost bike.
    Jones

OH MY GAWD!

this blows my mind! Am I the only one??? How did he not hear you pounding on his hood? I can understand that he didn't see you... but man, smacking the car to make noise is sorta our last defense... and if that doesn't work wow, I'm SO glad you're not any worse... I am assuming the guy must've been incredibly shaken too... despite all the idiots out there I don't believe that most people WANT to hit a cyclist or anyone else for that matter... was he totally freaked out too? Was he nice, offer to try to help? I bet the insurance wants to settle and but quick! Sounds like they're looking to be sure it's a done deal... make sure medically you're 100% too OK? You'll probably heal up fine, but just be sure...

those pics... yeah, you'll be needing some new bar tape again, really, really glad you're OK... healing vibes your way...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Those are REALLY graphic pictures! It is surprising (and fortunate) that you weren't badly injured. Sometimes we (meaning I) tend to get emotionally attached to objects. It's so sad to see your bike like that. But try to keep things in perspective and be thankful that property can be replaced and the important thing is that you're ok.

In the driver's defense -- he could not stop apologizing. He was also shaking as badly as I was and, when none of my friends answered their cell phones, drove me home and carried the bike into my place.

And I know that the bike is replacible, but I spent months picking it out and special ordering all of the components. That thing was my baby and the bike shop really spent a lot of time with me on it. The day I rode it out of the shop they told me that if I ever got a scratch on it, they would send a hitman to my house. The looks on their faces were pretty priceless when they saw the bike. I only had it since the end of February ...]

Susie
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Susie -
    What a frightening experience. I'm so glad that you're OK. I know you're bummed about your bike, but your walking away from a horrendous accident bruised & sore but relatively unharmed is a real gift.

I'm sending lots of healing wishes your way. And happy bike shopping (when you're ready...).

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

OMG! it hurt to look at those pics!

i'm so glad you are OK!!!! however your bike.... your beautiful bike.........!!!!!!!!

OMG I am so glad that you are ok.

That is what's most important.

It's just carbon, steel, whatever...bikes can be replaced, and get a new helmet. But that you are ok is a relief.

I was giving my "getta helmet" lecture to the new cyclist unlucky enough to be across from me on BART this morning without a lid. He's lucky I got off before he did or I'd still be telling him helmets save lives.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    In the driver's defense -- he could not stop apologizing. He was also shaking as badly as I was and, when none of my friends answered their cell phones, drove me home and carried the bike into my place.

Susie
    yep, that's what I figured... this had to have shaken him to his core as well... I bet it will forever change the way he drives... scary for everyone involved...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Susie- You are one strong woman! (I cringed just by reading your story)Amazing that you came through! Thank goodness you weren't hurt more seriously. At least people got the truck driver to stop! How many times have I heard of crashes where a driver just keeps on going as no one is around to stop them.

Even though a new bike isn't available right now, when do you think you can have it? Can the LBS give you a loner for the interim?

Meanwhile, get rest and take care of yourself. Please be sure to get a check up with your doctor just to make sure you are all right!
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchick68
    OH MY GAWD!

this blows my mind! Am I the only one??? How did he not hear you pounding on his hood?
    Right - I was shocked by that as well!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I'm assuming he had the stereo cranked up or the phone glued to his ear.

Were the police called? It does sound like you have a medical report. I'd be concerned about injuries that don't show for awhile.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.