Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

That's awful Susie! I hope you recover quickly. I couldn't get the link to your pictures to work, but my imagination is working overtime.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420
    I was giving my "getta helmet" lecture to the new cyclist unlucky enough to be across from me on BART this morning without a lid. He's lucky I got off before he did or I'd still be telling him helmets save lives.

I'm sitting here practically speechless! In fact, I'm shaking too. I am SO glad to hear you're ok. Physically at least. This is likely to give you nightmares tho, at the very least. If it's any kind of help, I can say that my DH, after a similar accident, has gotten over the nightmares. It took months to do so, but not (that he's said to me) years.

And Trek420, I suggest you print out Susie's story, and maybe a few others like it. Take along a few of these as flyers everywhere you go, and hand them out to lidless bikers. Those who don't get the point after a story like this ... they ain't got a head worth saving.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

That is so scary! Its good to hear you fared better than your bike!

I feel lucky to not be there with you. I had someone pull out of a parking lot in front of me last week after I spoke (his window was open) and made eye contact (I thought) with him. He proceeded to pull out anyway and luckily I was able to hit the brakes in time- locked up the rear wheel and left a nice skid mark- and stop just touching his truck, screaming, fumbling to unclip the whole time. Dum-dum in a complete daze, truly he appeared to be stoned more than stunned, proceeds to back up nearly taking my front wheel with him, as I try to jump backwards one foot still clipped in. Fortunately no damage sustained by anyone, but scary none the less.

Hopefully both of these drivers will take something away from their experiences and become more aware of their surroundings. Terrible about your brand new bike though!
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

[QUOTE=Eden]...Dum-dum in a complete daze, truly he appeared to be stoned more than stunned, ... QUOTE]

In perfect hindsight ... Did you have a cell phone with you? Did you phone in a report to the police, that this guy was driving suspiciously erratically, maybe under the influence of something?
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

[QUOTE=bikeless in WI]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden
    ...Dum-dum in a complete daze, truly he appeared to be stoned more than stunned, ... QUOTE]

In perfect hindsight ... Did you have a cell phone with you? Did you phone in a report to the police, that this guy was driving suspiciously erratically, maybe under the influence of something?
    Strange as it seems in this modern age, I don't own a cell phone.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

O my!

So very sorry about your beautiful bicycle... and so very glad your head didn't get the same treatment!

Heal fast and be well...

Ditto what everybody else said!

What about the guy who ran out to yell stop? Did you get a chance to thank him? I bet he is shaking like a leaf too. He has an awfully good story to tell his friends when he gets home!! Thank god for people like that

Quick healing and quick return to biking on a gorgeous new bike (soon I hope)

OMG! I'm so glad your injuries weren't worse! You were indeed a very lucky gal. But your poor bike.......oh my my my....
    Wishing you a speedy recovery, and a nice new bike.

~Sherry.
    All vintage, all the time.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France
    Kuwahara Sierra Grande MTB
    Bianchi Super Grizzly MTB

Oh, so glad you are OK!!!
    Bike parts--easier to repace than people parts. Glad you are going to talk to a lawyer, that is also my lawyerly advice. I am so careful these days with people in huge, insulated cars on cell phone who seem oblivious to everything else, they are in their own world.
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart. ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

Don't talk to his insurance company

Susie,

I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on the internet. However, please don't talk to his insurance company. Please protect yourself by finding an attorney knowledgable in bicyclists rights and responsibilities, and have the attorney do all further communication. That hyper-extended knee, the bumps, bruises, etc., could all heal up fine - or they could turn into bigger problems requiring more intense care. The insurance company has already offered a settlement because it wants to limit its potential liability and it KNOWS it's on the hook for the bucks.

A good attorney will make sure that you don't find yourself stuck with unexpected medcal bills. This isn't about screwing the driver or his insurance company. It's just about protecting yourself.

My apologies for the unsolicited advice. And I'm sooooo happy you came out of this in one piece, even if your bike didn't. I hope you heal up soon.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

WOW you are so lucky that you didn't get hurt worse than you were. I am sorry to hear about your bike, I hope you are able to replace it when you are ready. Heal quickly. And I agree, don't sign anything till you make sure you are ok!!

Karen

Oh Susie,

I am so sorry to hear about this accident. I am so glad, however, that you are basically okay and it sounds like you did an excellent job of keeping your wits about you which is very important.

I know how long and hard you worked on getting your bike picked out and all of the parts chosen. I think the guy should pay to exactly replace your current bike AND another to ride in the interim since it sounds like it might be a while before there is a new Ruby in your size. I also agree with everyone's advise about consulting an attorney, so please do that.

Please keep us posted and know you are in our thoughts.

Tracy

ps. I am from that area, where did this happen?

What everyone else has said.

Aside from the physical injury and shock, I think we can all empathise when our most prized possession is totalled.
    Please keep us informed re your settlement, your injuries and your new replacement.

Heal quickly.
    Life is Good!

Thank God you were not run over as well. I am so sorry about the bike.

Susie

I'm so sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you mend well and quickly. Sending healing energy your way.

Carole