Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wow Susie! I'm so very glad you're okay. I hope you get a new Ruby soon! They had some for test-driving at the Cinderella out of Wheels of Justice bike shop in Berkeley. Don't know if that's at all helpful.

Anyway, I hope you recover very quickly! Hang in there!

JUst got back on the boards and Holy Smokes!! What a thread!! Susie I am so glad to hear you are OK - man what a lame word - but thinking about what Could have happened your cycling angel was with you That day! Loved the socks - but am sorry you had to get them That way!

as for big a** trucks - Please don't generalize because of one or two bad drivers. I also have had some close calls with big trucks and/or SUVs and I've had even closer ones with gas-effcient sedans. It isn't the vehicles fault - it's the drivers. I drive a Ford F-150 4-dr and will continue to drive one even with the gas prices what they are. I have never hit anyone or anything with my big a** truck but I have almost Been hit by drivers in little gas-effcient sedans because I'm a cautious driver and because I'm very aware of the bike lanes and will obey the traffic laws regarding them, where most sedans don't bother.

No: I don't view the statements as a personal attack, but I do believe we should place the blame where it belongs. The vehicle is only as good as the person sitting behind the wheel.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Corsair---Point well taken, and I'm sorry if I stereotyped. You're right in that it's the DRIVER, not the car/truck.
    Where I live (Washington, DC area), a lot--not all--of the people who drive those big a## trucks/SUVs are people who don't know how to handle them, are on the cell phone or otherwise distracted, drive aggressively, etc. They live in the mcmansions or condos and the size of their vehicle is more a status thing than fulfilling a genuine need to haul stuff (they hire people to do any chores).
    Please accept my apology. When I read what kind of truck was involved and the seeming inattentiveness of the driver, I was reminded of what I see around here on a daily basis by the "too much money" crowd. Mea culpa!!
    Last edited by Selkie; 05-11-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Don't take a settlement

I don't have time to read all the replies -- someone may have already said this.

Do not take a settlement from the insurance company. Don't even talk to them at this point. Speak with an attorney ASAP. Since you're in Santa Cruz, I'll recommend Gary Brustin -- http://www.bicyclelawyer.com -- he has an office in Foster City (and also in LA). Gary is a long-time cyclist and supporter of the cycling community. He's even a board member of LAB.

They found me a new bike!!!!!

My LBS called around and called in some favors. Specialized delivered a brand new Ruby Pro in my size today! I'm definitely building the bike with Campy again, but I'm considering going to a triple. My wrecked bike had a compact and, I have to admit, I was missing my triple last weekend doing some training for the Santa Cruz Mountains Challenge. Any thoughts?

Susie
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    My LBS called around and called in some favors. Specialized delivered a brand new Ruby Pro in my size today! I'm definitely building the bike with Campy again, but I'm considering going to a triple. My wrecked bike had a compact and, I have to admit, I was missing my triple last weekend doing some training for the Santa Cruz Mountains Challenge. Any thoughts?

Susie

first thought: YEEEEEHAAAAAA - that is the most awesomest of news!! As for compact vs triple - I vote for the triple with both hands but................I live in the mountains, climb no matter what direction I'm riding and have never ridden a compact so I'm probably Not the voice of reason here! I am so happy they found you a bike tho!! and so fast!!

and Mick: no apologies needed my friend!
    Last edited by CorsairMac; 05-12-2006 at 06:26 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

i've got a triple on mine... cuz we have LOTS of fun climbs that i like to do!

so my recommendation: get the triple!

Quote Originally Posted by Susie

Susie
    Yay! Sounds like you will be back in the saddle pretty soon.

I vote for a triple (mine is oft used), but please remember, I look out my living room window and see 8000-11000 foot mountains three miles away. . .
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

Get the triple AND A NEW HELMET!!! I am so glad you were not hurt more seriously. make sure you get money enough for a good helmet replacement.

I vote for a triple, too. It can make all the difference on those 18 - 22% climbs. I ought to know. NOT!!

wow ~ glad you're doing so well after all that!

Does the bike shop have a proximity alarm / air horn combo they could install?

Excellent news about the new bike Susie!

f-u-u-c-c-k-k-k-... that looks and sounds scary. Please Gods of the road let this be the last one.

Luck the guy had insurance.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

How wonderful!!!! I am so happy they were able to locate a new Ruby Pro for you and they delivered it already. Well, this is your chance. If you felt like there were times you needed a triple on the other bike, then that is your answer, get the triple.

Wishing you much luck with this one!!!!

~ JoAnn

Glad to hear you are ok - scary stuff.
    Great news about the bike, Im so pleased for you.
    Go the triple - I wouldnt be without mine.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V