Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

So so so glad you are ok. Your story was so frightening especially since I commute daily on busy SF streets. You just never know when you may get tagged. I can't believe what good spirits you are in, very inspiring. Never had a reason to use this guy but he has gotten rave reviews from the women's bike club I belong to, VeloGirls.

http://www.bicyclelawyer.com/index.html

Heal quickly and best of luck.

Erin

What an interesting specialty in the law. Sorry to hear he can make a living doing this!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Sheesh, I hate those big a## trucks. Why in the blazes to people have to own them or any oversized vehicle? I have a theory that the bigger the vehicle, the lower the self-esteem and/or IQ of the driver. I might be in the minority but I'm hoping the high gas prices will mean that these stupid tanks will lose their appeal or affordability.
    Enough of anti-SUV/big truck preaching!
    The most important thing is that you are OK. Sorry about the bike, as she was a beauty. She can be replaced, however. You lived to tell the tale and that is what matters.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

I am so glad you are ok! What a scarey thing. I also am baffled as to why he didn't hear you!

Susie, so glad you are able to tell us this story, you are so fortunate to be here. That is such a scary story, and am hoping you heal completely without problems, esp. with that knee. BIkes can be made every day, you can not. Hope your outcome is a speedy recovery and the next new bike of your dreams..shelly

Jeez...what a close call. I just wanted to add my condolences for your bike and relief that you are ok.

I also agree to be careful with this settlement. Go to your doctor and get checked out. Consult your lawyer. Be safe.

Susie, Sending more healing vibes your way along with all of the others. Hope your body feels better soon and that you stay strong in spirit.

Sorry about your bike. Hope the process of finding a new ride goes smoothly and that you get the bike of your dreams!

Adding my vibes...

Just sending healing vibes your way, Susie. Take care of you!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

More good vibes headed your way. I'm so glad you are OK--mostly, anyway. Heal quickly.

As for the bike--why not have your LBS try and find the right size bike from another LBS. Seems like the shipping should be covered by the insurance company. I bet there's one out there in your size somewhere. Then your LBS can do the custom work like on your other one.

Good luck, and ride safely!!!
    Whoever said last man standing wins never asked a girl to play!

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick
    Sheesh, I hate those big a## trucks. Why in the blazes to people have to own them or any oversized vehicle? I have a theory that the bigger the vehicle, the lower the self-esteem and/or IQ of the driver. I might be in the minority but I'm hoping the high gas prices will mean that these stupid tanks will lose their appeal or affordability.
    I'm with you on this, mickchick!!! Most people who have them don't NEED them!

But back to the real topic --- Susie, hope you are not feeling too sore and stiff today! I know it's usually the following days when all the aches and pains start to settle in. And you keep going over what happened in your mind. Hope that's all better quickly. Another bike will come along and the good thing is, you are mostly unharmed and will be able to ride!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Updated info

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts and posts. It's nice to know that so many people care. In an attempt to answer questions:

1. This happened on the outskirts of Santa Cruz on a residential road parallel to Hwy 1. To those familiar with the area, it was on Shaeffer where Mission Street Exension intersects with Shaeffer and the bike path coming back from Wilder Ranch. The bike path ends with a stop sign and is part of a 4-way stop. I was there and he was directly opposite me on Mission Street Ext.

2. I didn't call the police. The driver was apologizing profusely and saying that it was all his fault. Also, I had a witness who made sure we had all information exchanged. It was nearly sundown and I was getting cold. It would take the cops forever to get out there. After none of my friends answered their cell phones, the driver even took me and my bike carcass home.

3. Yes, I had a cell phone. It worked fine once we found the battery a couple of yards away and put it back in the phone.

4. I have no clue why he didn't hear me. I didn't hear any music coming from the truck ... Also, he was totally sober and not driving erratically at all. He was going a little bit fast and barely stopped a the intersection. It was just that time of night when the sun is right in your eyes and even brighter because it's also reflecting off the ocean.

5. I was in the ER that night and I have a followup appt. with a doctor tomorrow. They wanted the swelling to go down a bit before determining what, if any, serious damage was done to my knee. I'll find out if I'll need some physical therapy then.

6. My LBS has called other dealers and can't find a Ruby Pro in my size. They are now talking with friends and executives they know at Specialized (the owner of my LBS used to work there). I recently met the product manager for the Rubys and have her business card. I'll be emailing her today with the photos and a request for help replacing my bike. The sales rep was there last night when I was there and he's going to make some calls as well.

7. I now have several referrals for an attorney (including a referral from my insurance company).

I hope that answered all the questions. Just a little followup story: I went back to the bike shop to get a quote for a new bike for the insurance adjuster. On Monday when I brought the bike in, the owner and 2 mechanics that built the bike were not in. They were there last night. The mechanic that threatened me if I ever got a scratch on the bike was told (well, yelled at from the front of the store) that I had just walked in. He came out, gave me a hug, said he was glad that I was alive, and then handed me a pair of Crash Test Dummy cycling socks. I got a new pair of socks!!!!

Susie
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    He came out, gave me a hug, said he was glad that I was alive, and then handed me a pair of Crash Test Dummy cycling socks. I got a new pair of socks!!!!
    Well! There is that!

Glad to hear you're doing OK, and taking care of business. Keep us posted--you know we care. L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I just came on the boards and just sitting here with my hands over my wide open mouth.

Be so thankful that you are ok. As for the bike, although it will take time, I am sure it will be replaced. You have all the right people working on it. With the time of year it is, you just might wind up with a 2007 model. At least you know how you want the bike set up ie, using campy, so you will by pass the time putting thinking of how to put everything together. Just a bit of a consolation.

~ JoAnn

Hi Susie, Just want to add my thoughts and best wishes to those of the other girls. Hopefully, you will be on your new Ruby soon!

Nina

Crash Test Dummy socks... Smart-aleck bike people.. you have such a great attitude about this... I hope when the swelling goes down the knee stops hurting and that will be that... heal quickly oh cycling sister!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".