Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am so glad that you were not badly injured. Sorry about your bike, I hope that they can get one in your size quickly!

My condolences about your beautiful bike... What a relief you're not seriously injured.

I agree with SadieKate about keeping an eye out for injuries that don't show for awhile. For such a terrifying experience, you've got an amazing spirit about it. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    I finally broke the ice by saying "I think I need new handlebar tape".
    That certainly must've broken the ice! It made me smile, in the midst of shaking, imagining the accident.

Wow. Thank goodness for your guardian angel who ran out in the street and yelled "stop!!" I'm glad the truck driver acted right after the crash. Mainly, glad you came through it amazingly unscathed. Sorry about the loss of your beloved bike...and...have fun putting your new bike together. L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Whew! Glad you are still in one piece. I am sorry about your bike.

Unsolicited advice: Do NOT agree to any type of settlement until you have spoken to a lawyer. Do NOT sign anything. Don't look up a lawyer in the phone book, but talk to trusted friends who may have some suggestions.

I am not a lawyer, but my husband is and when I told him about the insurance company wanting to quickly settle, he said "she needs to make sure she has someone review the settlement before signing".

Sorry to spend more of my post on the insurance side of what happened.

Heal quickly!
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

Thanks for all of your kind words. I was xrayed and fully checked out on Monday and I have a followup appointment for Friday just to make sure nothing crops up.

Good advice on an attorney. I think I'm going to check in with a friend who was hit last fall. She has an attorney dealing with her claim -- I'm sure she'll give me a recommendation.

Susie
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

I'm an attorney as well, in Oakland. If you like, PM me and maybe I can give you a recommendation for someone to talk to closer to where you are.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I am so grateful to the guy who ran into the street and stopped that truck! Whoa, I'm shivering just reading your post!

I agree, don't sign any settlements until you have a lawyer.

I hope you can get a new bike as good as your original.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I'm speechless. I was reading and the whole time I'm just in utter shock.

I am *so* glad you're ok. This is one of the things that worry me. Being hit but not having the driver hear me. It's why I have a 115 decibel air horn on my Bianchi. When I have it go off, you really notice it.

Sending you healing vibes. Hoping you remain healthy and hale.

Mel

OMG!!!! I'm shaking from reading this. You are sooooo lucky to only have bruises. Has it hit you yet that you were almost killed? That's crazy. How did he not hear or see you pounding on the hood??? At least he was apologetic.

It sounds like you're handling this really well!

And... I'm sorry, he *should* have been shaking becuase there is a PROBLEM if he was not aware of something pounding on his hood, something crunching under his wheel. I know the truck is big, bUTT... (I have had a similar experience as a driver - nobody was hurt but that was only because my brakes stuck -- some angel doing overtime literally holding the van back... I don't drive big things any more except under extreme duress...)

Wow, Susie! Sorry to hear about your bike but glad you're okay! That is so scary....and you've got such a great attitude.

Mtkitchen

I meant to tell you--when I flew a couple of weeks ago, I saw a couple of female pilots, and thought, "m-t-kitchen" every time!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

WOW Suzie! How scary! Thank goodness you are OK!

Your poor-poor-bike though. What a shame. I too would have been screaming about my bike, after I was sure I wasn't hurt seriously.

Hopefully you will get a bike to replace the poor little dead one.

It's why I have a 115 decibel air horn on my Bianchi. When I have it go off, you really notice it.
    Where does one get one of these, and how do I mount it on my bike? This sounds like a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by KSH
    Where does one get one of these, and how do I mount it on my bike? This sounds like a great idea!
    It's called an "Air Zound" and is made by Delta. They're hard to find (if it's even carried) at a LBS however you can find them online. Do a google search on 'air zound'. Here's a link from Harris Cyclery:

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=1035

The good things about this horn is that it is made of plastic, powered by a refillable (via a shrader valve) soda bottle (16 oz one I think), and designed to go on a bike. The downside to it is that the horn is made of plastic. This means that the horn is light, however, if you are rough with it, it will break. You also do not want to put the horn on and off and on and off on the bike. For me, I just leave it on the Bianchi since it's my commuting bike.

Another nice option is that it has an air restriction valve which means you can control how loud the horn is by restricting the airflow to the horn from the reservoir. (Tip: When filling the horn if no air seems to go in, check this valve. It's probably closed)

This horn is _LOUD_. They weren't joking that it's 115 decibels. I've accidentally hit the horn while moving the bike around and gone momentarily deaf. Also, while heading toward the shuttle station I got my shuttle to stop and look for me by blasting the horn... from about 400 feet away. I still keep on meaning to do a real measurement test using a couple of sound meters we have here but haven't done it yet. I want to see what its really putting out. heh.

Mel

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang. Glad you're ok. Your poor bike.
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"